Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Nov 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #3,886 of 23,494
my dad had colon cancer.............and died in January

but anyway, yea i feel bad for anyone who has to go through that stuff

Thank you all it is appreciated, he has prostate cancer, but finally seems to stabilized.

Nov 8, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #3,887 of 23,494
I'm looking for a tube set to compliment an ODAC>Lyr>HE500 and HD650. Can you guys help? Priorities (in order) are as follows:

1. I'd like deep, extended, well-defined bass.
1A. Superb detail and seperation are an absolute must.
2. Transparency
3. Good soundstage and imaging
4. Sweet/pretty midrange would be nice

Other notes/nice-to-haves:
I really love to hear the bass guitar a little forward
I like a little extra boost in the 3.5-4k region for extra guitar crunch, if possible
I tend to get fatigued if the 5.5-6k region is too forward, so I don't mind a little recession there

A good budget tube that has nice bass extension without bloat or bleeding into the mids, And compared to the stock tubes, the sound is nice and detailed, all the instruments are separated nicely, and thus the soundstage is a bit larger, more holographic. But the best tube are the Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes.

What was the "good budget tube" you were referring to here?

Also, glad to hear your dad is doing better, my father in law just went through prostate cancer. We were very lucky and they caught it pretty early. Scary, nonetheless.

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #3,889 of 23,494
How do the Telefunken tubes compare to the Russian 6H23-EB tubes? I think I'll have an easier time parting with $130 than $370, lol.

I am using Russian tubes from rb2013. Very pleased and he does provide discounts to Head-fiers. I bought two pairs and frankly, I love the sub $50 pair I got from him, but the pricier ones are awesome. '74 or '75 6h23p are a nice compromise in quality and price.

Once you get his attention, he is very prompt. They are tested and paired as well.

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #3,890 of 23,494
Thank you. I ended up finding the Telefunken tubes reddog recommended (thank you!) for a price I could live with on Upscale Audio. Ended up with a pair of cryo-treated platinums for $294 with free shipping. Based on everything I've read today, that sounds like it's a pretty solid deal. I can't wait to hear them!

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #3,891 of 23,494
Thank you. I ended up finding the Telefunken tubes reddog recommended (thank you!) for a price I could live with on Upscale Audio. Ended up with a pair of cryo-treated platinums for $294 with free shipping. Based on everything I've read today, that sounds like it's a pretty solid deal. I can't wait to hear them!

Cool, I got my Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes from Upscale Audio too.

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #3,892 of 23,494
Reviving an old question about euphonic sounding tube recommendations. I listened to my friend's WA7 setup last night and really enjoyed the euphonic (albeit less detailed) sound of his setup. Going back to my Bifrost/Lyr/'74 Reflektor setup, I was definitely hearing more detail and dynamics, but less forward and less liquid mids which I realized that I really do enjoy at times.

I tried a pair of OGs briefly but ditched them because they were very noisy, and my issue with that pair was that the bass was kind of loose and lacked impact. Have other people had the same experience with the OGs? Does anyone have any other recommendations for a euphonic tube with respectable bass that won't break the bank (i.e. not the D-getter pinched waists)? From my brief reading of this thread it seems like the OGs are the current go-to bduget tubes for this type of sound signature.0
'50s Bugle Boys will get you that kinda presentation. These Sly '50s 'fat d getters' are very euphonic.

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #3,893 of 23,494
I am using Russian tubes from rb2013. Very pleased and he does provide discounts to Head-fiers. I bought two pairs and frankly, I love the sub $50 pair I got from him, but the pricier ones are awesome. '74 or '75 6h23p are a nice compromise in quality and price.

Once you get his attention, he is very prompt. They are tested and paired as well.
Thanks, it's been busy at work. I do gave an extra pr of the '74 and '75 Voskhod Rockets if anyone is interested PM me.

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #3,894 of 23,494
  The WA7 uses two 6C45 driver/power tubes. Do you know what brand of tube your friend is using?

He uses the Electro Harmonix 6C45i Gold Pin Cryoed on the Amp and the Mullard 12AU7 on the PSU.

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #3,895 of 23,494
'50s Bugle Boys will get you that kinda presentation. These Sly '50s 'fat d getters' are very euphonic.

Thanks for the recommendation! You mean these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-BUGLE-BOY-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-MATCH-PAIR-D-GTR-SWEET-WARM-TONE-A31K-/321573574304?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4adf4756a0

Damn, they are significantly more expensive than the '60s O-getters! Worth it? And how does the bass and euphony of the Bugle Boys compare to the Orange Globes? 

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #3,896 of 23,494
  He uses the Electro Harmonix 6C45i Gold Pin Cryoed on the Amp and the Mullard 12AU7 on the PSU.

My thinking was that often tubes manufactured by the same company often have a "house sound". That is, to my ears, most RCA double trides sound similar, most Sylvanias sound similar, most Holland-made Philips sound similar, and so on. And since you like the sound of an Electro Harmonix 6C45i, you might like the sound of an Electro Harmonix 6DJ8. But unfortunately, it appears Electron Harmonix 6DJ8's do not exist? And I do not own any Electro Harmonix tubes, so I can't say how they might compare to other manufacturers.... Perhaps others who have more experience with this brand will jump in here.

I am not at all sure how much the Mullard 12AU7 in the PSU contributes to the sound signature, but perhaps a pair of Mullard E188CC's which were discussed here recently might be worth checking out?

Good luck!

Edit: Oh, I just discovered that they do make a 6922:

http://www.ehx.com/products/ehx-6922

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #3,897 of 23,494

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-BUGLE-BOY-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-MATCH-PAIR-D-GTR-SWEET-WARM-TONE-A31K-/321573574304?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4adf4756a0

Damn, they are significantly more expensive than the '60s O-getters! Worth it? And how does the bass and euphony of the Bugle Boys compare to the Orange Globes? 

That's the tube game.  You can look around a bit and maybe find a better price.  I got a pair from an Aussie eBayer (1958/1959) and a date matched pair from an Italian eBayer, and each were right around $100 shipped.  I prefer them to my 1967 OGs, which I did get from mercedesman.

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #3,898 of 23,494

Yeah the '59s are really nice. But you should be able to find them for less. Just watch out for noise and microphonics. Amperex's are notorious for microphonics.

Nov 9, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #3,899 of 23,494
Got these mid-60s Siemens ECC85s from an eBayer in Argentina, complete with customs stamps 
cool.gif
  "ADUANAS" = Customs

Viva Valvula!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back