Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 6, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,711 of 23,494
It was DOA - dead on arrival. Kaput! Worthless. Broke my fast beating heart! Sovtube. Why bother to even ship it? Just to play mind games! Probably took two shots of vodka and laughed his butt off for an hour.

Then he took another two shots and passed out on the rug.  Gotta love the Russians.

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,712 of 23,494
Sorry to hear....
frown.gif

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #1,715 of 23,494
I'd like to joint in this group :)
I just bought Schiit Lyr from a member here.
It is running with Telefunken ECC88 and sound is great!
But since I'm newbie on headphone amp and have no clue which tubes are best for this Lyr amp!
So, any advices will helpful.,,
I read some they recommended the Amprex tubes so I'm trying get them soon.
Thanks guys.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #1,716 of 23,494
  I'd like to joint in this group :)
I just bought Schiit Lyr from a member here.
It is running with Telefunken ECC88 and sound is great!
But since I'm newbie on headphone amp and have no clue which tubes are best for this Lyr amp!
So, any advices will helpful.,,
I read some they recommended the Amprex tubes so I'm trying get them soon.
Thanks guys.

the tele's are great, i've had a pair, congrats , and welcome !

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #1,719 of 23,494
I have both. The Amperex OG have a warmer tilt and are a little more lush. The Tele's are cleaner and more resolving...more air. I assume that you mean the OG. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #1,721 of 23,494
  Thanks MattTCG :)
Great to know both of them! Yes, I mean the OG (orange globe)...
Now I'm trying to get the Amprex then.

mercedesman (TubeHunter) on eBay had a pair of 1967 OGs the other day.  I have the same from him and like them a lot.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,722 of 23,494
  Thanks MattTCG :)
Great to know both of them! Yes, I mean the OG (orange globe)...
Now I'm trying to get the Amprex then.

yeah, i think matt is spot on regard the og's vs tele's, also for warm, lush sound, i might try some mullards too

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,723 of 23,494
Been following this thread for quite awhile now.
I have the following tubes and rate them as following :
1. 1966 Siemens and Halske Grey Shields Gold Pins.
2. 1965 Amperex Bugle Boys Small? O-Getter
3. 1961 Amperex Bugle Boys Straight Mans.
4. GE 6BQ7A Stock tubes
5. Quite a few 6N23 and 6N2P pairs (mostly 80s and 90s).
6. 1960 Amperex Bugle Boys Large O-Getter.

3 and 4 are close to the same sound.

I have numerous Russian tubes that I can't stand to listen to for more than 20 minutes but I have one pair I would be interested in getting matches to (in the Ukraine, a matched pair is not necessarily identical manufacturing runs of a tube):
1976 Voshkod Gray Shield 6N23P
1978 Voshkod Silver Shield 6N23P

I also have numerous 6DJ8s from the 80s from Ram TubeWorks that I used with an old Audible Illusions preamp (all sound like crap).

I have a pair of Teslas 6922 #32 from Czech, several pairs of 6N2Ps from different years, etc. Even some Chinese 6N1 and 6N2 from an old Ming Da MC34-B.

Depending on the music, I can only listen to Numbers 1 and 2 for any length of time and they are very easy to listen to. The 1966 Siemens and Halskes are very musical, have a great wide soundstage but might be a hair on the thin side. The 1965 Amperex BBs are very musical, smaller soundstage, less detailed but a little richer sound. Possibly better bass but short on the (except the stock GEs) eventually make me want to swap them out for something else. Fatiguing.

I do wish the tube selection for the Lyr wasn't such a pain in the arse to dial the sound in. I listen mostly to Jazz and Classical in CD up to 96K 24bit (a few in 192Khz and SACD).

BTW, I have a pair of Phillips miniwatt gold pin E188CCs on the way. Will report on those when I get em.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #1,724 of 23,494
  Been following this thread for quite awhile now.
I have the following tubes and rate them as following :
1. 1966 Siemens and Halske Grey Shields Gold Pins.
2. 1965 Amperex Bugle Boys Small? O-Getter
3. 1961 Amperex Bugle Boys Straight Mans.
4. GE 6BQ7A Stock tubes
5. Quite a few 6N23 and 6N2P pairs (mostly 80s and 90s).
6. 1960 Amperex Bugle Boys Large O-Getter.

3 and 4 are close to the same sound.

I have numerous Russian tubes that I can't stand to listen to for more than 20 minutes but I have one pair I would be interested in getting matches to (in the Ukraine, a matched pair is not necessarily identical manufacturing runs of a tube):
1976 Voshkod Gray Shield 6N23P
1978 Voshkod Silver Shield 6N23P

I also have numerous 6DJ8s from the 80s from Ram TubeWorks that I used with an old Audible Illusions preamp (all sound like crap).

I have a pair of Teslas 6922 #32 from Czech, several pairs of 6N2Ps from different years, etc. Even some Chinese 6N1 and 6N2 from an old Ming Da MC34-B.

Depending on the music, I can only listen to Numbers 1 and 2 for any length of time and they are very easy to listen to. The 1966 Siemens and Halskes are very musical, have a great wide soundstage but might be a hair on the thin side. The 1965 Amperex BBs are very musical, smaller soundstage, less detailed but a little richer sound. Possibly better bass but short on the (except the stock GEs) eventually make me want to swap them out for something else. Fatiguing.

I do wish the tube selection for the Lyr wasn't such a pain in the arse to dial the sound in. I listen mostly to Jazz and Classical in CD up to 96K 24bit (a few in 192Khz and SACD).

BTW, I have a pair of Phillips miniwatt gold pin E188CCs on the way. Will report on those when I get em.

you got some great selctions...I like to try those Siemens and Halskes 1966, but those are out of my league.  I just got Reflektor 6n23p 1974, this is pretty good glass.  I'm searching for Voskhod 75 gray shield.  I do enjoying my Siemens CCa and Lorenz Stuttgart , I used to own Siemens e188c but now it's died on me...sad, I do mostly listening to Classical (Mahler symphonies) with my HD 800.

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #1,725 of 23,494
 Classical in CD up to 96K 24bit (a few in 192Khz and SACD).

I love the E188CCs in the Lyr,  I have a couple of variations of them (Miniwatts included), the Miniwatts are a very balanced sound. Post some impressions when the arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back