Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 20, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #1,531 of 23,494
  Philips, if you please. 
regular_smile%20.gif

I'm not aware of any Eindhoven production either. Philips had their major research labs in Eindhoven, though. It is quite possible, even probable, that the research production lines of those reseach labs made some. Some of the Eindhoven "numbers" point to actual research labs. I'm not sure about number 4, though.

And of course, Oskari is absolutely correct. :)

Amperex Electronic Corporation was a well-established American vacuum tube company, located in Brooklyn, NY, until it was purchased and incorporated as a wholly-owned subsidiary under Philips around 1955. The ECC88 was likely developed in the Philips' research complex located in Eindhoven, but once in production, ECC88s were often marketed under the newly acquired Amperex brand name, especially those manufactured in the Heerlen, Holland factory.

So it is important to realize that by the late 1950's, "Amperex" was nothing more than a brand name painted on the outside of the tube. And many of you who have rolled a few of these "Amperex" tubes know that it is not at all uncommon to see the "Amperex" label on tubes manufactured in other factories as well. And the same goes for Mullard, Valvo, Dario and all the other brands that were part of the Philips conglomerate. This is why it is advisable to find out the Philips tube codes before you buy. It is the only way to confidently determine when and where these tubes were manufactured.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #1,532 of 23,494
Yesterday I rolled some 6DJ8s into my Lyr replacing the 6BZ7s.  After running for many I hours it seems that they run cooler.  My volume knob wasn't as warm.  Does anyone know if that's typical?

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #1,537 of 23,494
I saw somebody on youtube using tube adapters so that the tubes stick out a little bit more. Does anybody have experience with this as well? Does it affect the sound?

It looks a bit nicer if you can see the tubes completely.

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,541 of 23,494
  Amperex Electronic Corporation was a well-established American vacuum tube company, located in Brooklyn, NY, until it was purchased and incorporated as a wholly-owned subsidiary under Philips around 1955. The ECC88 was likely developed in the Philips' research complex located in Eindhoven, but once in production, ECC88s were often marketed under the newly acquired Amperex brand name, especially those manufactured in the Heerlen, Holland factory.

So it is important to realize that by the late 1950's, "Amperex" was nothing more than a brand name painted on the outside of the tube. And many of you who have rolled a few of these "Amperex" tubes know that it is not at all uncommon to see the "Amperex" label on tubes manufactured in other factories as well. And the same goes for Mullard, Valvo, Dario and all the other brands that were part of the Philips conglomerate. This is why it is advisable to find out the Philips tube codes before you buy. It is the only way to confidently determine when and where these tubes were manufactured.

I agree with gibosi. Just to add something, here is what I wrote in another thread a while ago:

You are quite correct in saying that [many] tubes sold by Amperex were not made by Amperex themselves. They did, however, make some tubes. In fact, Amperex made tubes long before they were bought by Philips. They just were rather more interested in transmitting tubes than receiving tubes.

After the acquisition by Philips, new production facilities were setup in Hicksville, Long Island for tubes such as the 6922. This was done largely to gain patronage from the US government.

Amperex manufactured only a limited number of types in Hicksville. Many tubes made by Philips in the Netherlands, and related companies in other countries, were relabelled Amperex for the US market. Amperex also purchased from other US manufacturers. Rebranding was very common in the tube business.

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #1,542 of 23,494
  I saw somebody on youtube using tube adapters so that the tubes stick out a little bit more. Does anybody have experience with this as well? Does it affect the sound?

It looks a bit nicer if you can see the tubes completely.

TONS of posts in both tube rolling threads re: socket savers (assume that's what you mean).  Tubemonger's NOVIB savers come highly recommended, and based on use and communication with the company, I highly recommend them.  I've heard no difference between savers and not.  I like seeing my tubes, and I like rolling my collection.  So, for me, a no brainer.

FWIW, I always use DeoxIT to clean tubes (the 25% solution from CAIG's Vacuum Tube Survival Kit; 99% isopropyl alcohol may work just as well), and then coat the pins with the DeoxIT Gold from the kit, and use it on the sockets themselves.  Helps with rolling at the very least.

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #1,543 of 23,494
Just bought some ultra rare triple mica wire getter post 6n23ps on ebay. Never had these before! I do remember someone posting picture here a long time ago, over a yr, never mentioned how they sounded. Will find out soon, US seller, should be here in a few days - so excited.

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #1,544 of 23,494
Just bought some ultra rare triple mica wire getter post 6n23ps on ebay. Never had these before! I do remember someone posting picture here a long time ago, over a yr, never mentioned how they sounded. Will find out soon, US seller, should be here in a few days - so excited.

Nice find.  Post some pix and impressions, if you get the chance.  Enjoy, regardless 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back