Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Nov 16, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #14,941 of 23,494
You asked the question...and then answered it yourself. Hey I love Tony like a brother...but he's getting old. Being a real prophet is a young man's game. I think Tony's doing it these days with the old 8 Ball.
Sad.
That's my Walmart special!! ... and that's what I get for letting Rangy do the occult shopping for The Lab. Pif. OTOH, re: the acquisition of at least one pair of 6F8Gs, the chicken entrails say, All Signs Points To Yes!

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #14,942 of 23,494
He was just toying with us. That is the power the man has ! Entrails....that's true prophet schiit.
Tony started his journey to fortunetelling, errr propheteering, as just a five year old boy, travelling with
a local carnival show, guessing ages and weight. He's shared his story with me. Maybe one day he will
tell his story here as well.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #14,943 of 23,494
Question for you Lyr lovers. I've got a Lyr 2 with some Voskhod rockets that I bought in this thread. Very happy with the sound...until today, when I fired up the Lyr with my HD700s and found the sound very subdued, almost muffled. Typically, this setup is incredibly clear and clean but something was noticeably off.

To make sure I wasn't crazy, I compared the sound with the output from my Yamaha CR2020 and the vintage integrated was better in every way, where I'd usually describe them as equals with different flavor. And, objectively, I noticed that I needed to flip to the Lyr's Hi Gain option with the Voskhods - something I never do.

All of this suggests to me that my tubes have gone or are on their way to tube heaven, but can someone here let me know how I can test and confirm? I do have some other tubes that I can match up against the Voskhods tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Nov 17, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #14,944 of 23,494
The stock answer is to take them out replace them with other tubes to see if the problem persists. Clean the pins on the tubes and try again. Similar sounding issue resolved by tube maintainence. Use a swab and alcohol unless you have deoxit. doubt those tubes are burnt. Though possible. I’ve used steel wool on some that were badly corroded .

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #14,945 of 23,494
Nov 17, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #14,946 of 23,494

Nice score! After all my tube buying (which has been off the charts) the past week or so, I finally scooped up the best tube I’ll probably own. Got a pair of Telefunken ECC88/6DJ8 from a fellow Head-Fier.
My hope is that pesky itch has been reached and satisfied. IMHO, I have a very wide variety of tubes ( most mid grade) that will last longer then my life. :)

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #14,947 of 23,494
Nice score! After all my tube buying (which has been off the charts) the past week or so, I finally scooped up the best tube I’ll probably own. Got a pair of Telefunken ECC88/6DJ8 from a fellow Head-Fier.
My hope is that pesky itch has been reached and satisfied. IMHO, I have a very wide variety of tubes ( most mid grade) that will last longer then my life. :)

*High Five* Looks like you scored some damn nice tubes. I was looking at them online and they're like $189 a pop. Let us know how they sound. :)

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #14,948 of 23,494
The stock answer is to take them out replace them with other tubes to see if the problem persists. Clean the pins on the tubes and try again. Similar sounding issue resolved by tube maintainence. Use a swab and alcohol unless you have deoxit. doubt those tubes are burnt. Though possible. I’ve used steel wool on some that were badly corroded .

Thank you - that's exactly what I'll do. Both tubes are glowing for whatever it's worth. Kicking myself because I forgot to bring tubes to the office today.

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #14,950 of 23,494
I found the Telefunken Ecc88`s to be really subpar to the E88CC, and E188CC. Had 2 pair that I sold here.
@Phantaminum , just by looking at those tubes I can tell they will be microphonic, perhaps the prophet can back me up on this one? :ksc75smile:

Well I’m thinking I’m going to love them. My ears are not master level at present.

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #14,951 of 23,494
I found the Telefunken Ecc88`s to be really subpar to the E88CC, and E188CC. Had 2 pair that I sold here.
@Phantaminum , just by looking at those tubes I can tell they will be microphonic, perhaps the prophet can back me up on this one? :ksc75smile:

*Chuckles* That would be my luck topped off with another “Delivery Delayed” from USPS. We must confer with the 8-Ball.

Nov 17, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #14,952 of 23,494
*Chuckles* That would be my luck topped off with another “Delivery Delayed” from USPS. We must confer with the 8-Ball.
What years was the other pair? If you had late 40's to early 50's, would be interested if there is any SQ difference compared to the 61 quad. Those tubes should get there pretty quick being in the same state.

Nov 17, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #14,954 of 23,494
What years was the other pair? If you had late 40's to early 50's, would be interested if there is any SQ difference compared to the 61 quad. Those tubes should get there pretty quick being in the same state.

Looked through the description of the previously purchased WE 396As but no mention of year. I’ll ask them and see what they say. I’ll try to compare them. I jotted down a few notes between the WE396A to the LM Ericsson 2c51s so that’ll be my starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back