Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Nov 3, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #14,746 of 23,494
Haven’t tried them yet. Worked all day.
I’ll feel the writing as I’m thinking it could be a bunk tube if you can’t feel the Bumps?
Haha no worries :) Just look for posts with "Gm" in them made by me on this thread, I've written about tube measurements, specs and testers a few times on here.

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #14,748 of 23,494
I find the CBS 5670 quite good, but I have to run warm tubes in my dac or amp with that pairing. Almost as much detail as the Bendix, but with none of the negatives.
@ThurstonX , your review of the CBS 5670 is spot on.
Curious which cans you're using with the CBS. Also, having a tube DAC probably helps. :beerchug:

Nov 3, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #14,750 of 23,494
Curious which cans you're using with the CBS. Also, having a tube DAC probably helps. :beerchug:
Seems the CBS 5670`s are much better suited for my dac. Was running WE 396A`s in my MJ2 and CBS 5670 in my amp. Switched the tubes around today. More of a WE sound sig with high level of detail, big soundstage, punchy bass, more tamed high end. Though I find the CBS better in the highs than the Bendix and GE triple mica`s I got.

Guys anybody interested in a trade for 2 pair of GE JG 3x mica military square getter for possibly a pair of Tesla PW 6CC42`s? CONUS only.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #14,751 of 23,494
Seems the CBS 5670`s are much better suited for my dac. Was running WE 396A`s in my MJ2 and CBS 5670 in my amp. Switched the tubes around today. More of a WE sound sig with high level of detail, big soundstage, punchy bass, more tamed high end. Though I find the CBS better in the highs than the Bendix and GE triple mica`s I got.

Guys anybody interested in a trade for 2 pair of GE JG 3x mica military square getter for possibly a pair of Tesla PW 6CC42`s? CONUS only.
Tk im still a little perplexed about my jw we 396a. The detail and mids are great. No issue with the top end. But not what i consider punchy down low. Did you find that when you first got yours?

Ive run mine in for approx 10 hrs - so not much at all.

Black plates, squate getter. It looks like other we396a tubes ive googled. No noises or issues i can hear with these tubes

Thanks
Peter

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #14,752 of 23,494
10 hours is not enough bro. The tubes start to come into their own around the 24 hour mark and keep getting better when you hit 100+ hours. Could also be a synergy issue with your particular equipment and your ears as well. My WE`s rival my PW tubes, At least as good if not better than my 56 Valvo CCa Heerlen PW, though I have not listened to the PW in a few months. My punchy bass comment was a combo of the CBS 5670 and WE 396A square getters in my system. The WE are very lush sounding top to bottom, with detail, big soundstage etc.

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #14,755 of 23,494

Bro, I finally slapped in my WE 2C51 NOS and so far, it’s one of the best sounding tubes I have and it’s on the cheap. Nice tight and punchy bass, mid forward, Nice SS and seperation and I love the treble. Thank you for suggesting these to me in the first place. I believe I’m really starting to hear all these little intricate details between tubes I wasn’t hearing before. I also have put the Jot out of commission instead of A/B’ing the two amps.
I was thinking about selling the Jot but I’m starting to think that Planars need a Solid State amp as it just loses something with tubes, or I haven’t found the righteous ones yet. Maybe some more time with them and I may change my mind.
Anyway, all I wanted to say was thanks but it turned into a dissertation.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #14,757 of 23,494
How is it compared to the PW tubes I sold you?
It’s been a while since I’ve listened to them but I still like the PW better.
I’m still kind of shocked how much I like the WE though especially for the money. Don’t get me wrong, I value and love the PW and won’t get rid of them for any reason.

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #14,758 of 23,494
Nov 4, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #14,760 of 23,494
FWIW, I preferred the Raytheon over the RCA myself. The RCA is similar to the WE396a, but lacks the precision of the imaging, and overall greatness. The Raytheon reminds me of the cbs hytron. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either.
If it were you, which one of these would you grab?
The Raytheon or the RCA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back