Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 29, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #5,941 of 23,494
  Like Exacoustatowner I am currently burning in my rb2013 reflektors.  They are the 74's though as he did not have any 75's at the time..  I've got about 30 hours on them and already they've opened up some.  Bass has improved and I'm impressed by the mids.  Up front but not over the top.  Very nice.  They sound excellent!  Looking forward to full burn in.   

Special thanks to rb2013.  Shipping and packaging was great!  Hopefully my name is down for the next batch of 75's he get's in.  Also can't wait to see the results of the shootout!!

Great to hear they are sounding good.  Cannot find any HGs anywhere - good or bad testing.  I hope some turn up soon.

Review update:  The 19 Spreadsheets are done (one for each of the 8 songs, and 10 sound attributes and overall final summary), I'll begin the written part today - it should be up late next week.  So I'll be able to give the top tube overall, but also for each song and even more important by sound attribute.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #5,942 of 23,494
Mar 29, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #5,943 of 23,494
Mar 29, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #5,945 of 23,494

Great to hear they are sounding good.  Cannot find any HGs anywhere - good or bad testing.  I hope some turn up soon.

Review update:  The 19 Spreadsheets are done (one for each of the 8 songs, and 10 sound attributes and overall final summary), I'll begin the written part today - it should be up late next week.  So I'll be able to give the top tube overall, but also for each song and even more important by sound attribute.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

HG's? I'm hoping SOME company buys the records from Telefunken, etc-on HOW to make new tubes properly. I saw that "Telefunken" were being made again. Presumably, if they use the same processes and materials-I wonder if they will sound good? The Gold Lions have been described as being Good-for new tubes. How about EXCELLENT? Otherwise our hobby has a finite end date. Presumably the trade secrets of old could be legally transferred? "One drop of Antimony, 2 drops of Magnesium, Eye of Newt.." 

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #5,948 of 23,494
So I pulled my GE (Canada) 6B27 6BQ7A (1980's?) Pre-AMP stock tubes and replaced them with Russian Reflecktors I bought from Bob.rb2013

The GE's were pretty good after burn in. Bob-which ones are they? I wrote it down-but am away from my notes.

HEy Rb-which ones did I just buy from you? I'm away from my notes,

The GE and Russian tubes  do the same job- but somehow the sound is quite different-and I am quite liking the Russian tubes.They all take the electrical signal and magnify is before it goes into the Solid State Class A amp. Why do they sound different?

Soundstage and imaging-I think-relates largely to all the reproduced wavelengths arriving at the ear in phase. With electronics there is a tendency to "group delay" of higher frequencies-that can cause out-of phase transfer. 

I know that with the stock GE tubes as pre-amp for my Denon receiver, to my Speakers- the improvement in localization of instruments and singers was much sharper than when going directly to the Denon (. Further-when using the Lyr tube pre-amp out to the Denon-I heard music apparently coming from the left of the left speaker and the right of the right speaker. Crazy! And I saw a review that said the Lyr as a pre-amp was not good. Anyone else try it?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #5,949 of 23,494
The Lyr2 drives the LCD3s superbly! I am not sure why someone would say that the Lyr/Lyr2 will not do a good job with those HPs; I disagree with that opinion and can tell you that I have never looked back. Every time I toy with the idea of buying new HPs, like the HD800s, or a Hifi man just to see if the grass is greener on the other side, I end up changing my mind and getting more tubes for the Lyr2 to experience different sound signatures.

Thanks for the feedback guys - I picked up the LCD-3's today. A totally different ball of wax, but clearly my DAC is too wimpy. Things sound veiled ATM. So two weeks ago I'm driving my HE-500's with JAN Sylvanias - till I buy the CCa's and now I have the LCD-3's and tomorrow will receive the Uber - all thanks to the CCa's. Yes I blame them. An expensive little journey for just wanting to get a better set of tubes eh? I'm a little worried about the Uber upgrade. I auditioned the LCD-3's at B&H through some $1900 DAC and heard Jesus. I'm praying I don't have to whip out more $$ for these cans to shine.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #5,950 of 23,494
Thanks for the feedback guys - I picked up the LCD-3's today. A totally different ball of wax, but clearly my DAC is too wimpy. Things sound veiled ATM. So two weeks ago I'm driving my HE-500's with JAN Sylvanias - till I buy the CCa's and now I have the LCD-3's and tomorrow will receive the Uber - all thanks to the CCa's. Yes I blame them. An expensive little journey for just wanting to get a better set of tubes eh? I'm a little worried about the Uber upgrade. I auditioned the LCD-3's at B&H through some $1900 DAC and heard Jesus. I'm praying I don't have to whip out more $$ for these cans to shine.

Changed my DAC from bifrost to Teac UD-301, now my Lyr2 and Project Ember seem to have better dynamic range and more sparkle in the highs.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #5,951 of 23,494
  Changed my DAC from bifrost to Teac UD-301, now my Lyr2 and Project Ember seem to have better dynamic range and more sparkle in the highs.

Interesting.  Crutchfield has a nice deal on them atm; better than Amazon:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_063UD301S/TEAC-UD-301-Silver.html?tp=59340

Rebate also available from Teac: http://www.teac.com/product/ud-301/overview/

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #5,952 of 23,494

Interesting.  Crutchfield has a nice deal on them atm; better than Amazon:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_063UD301S/TEAC-UD-301-Silver.html?tp=59340

Rebate also available from Teac: http://www.teac.com/product/ud-301/overview/

Bingo, thats where I got mine, also got idea from hodgjy in the LCD-2 thread about Teac products

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #5,953 of 23,494
  So I pulled my GE (Canada) 6B27 6BQ7A (1980's?) Pre-AMP stock tubes and replaced them with Russian Reflecktors I bought from Bob.rb2013

The GE's were pretty good after burn in. Bob-which ones are they? I wrote it down-but am away from my notes.

HEy Rb-which ones did I just buy from you? I'm away from my notes,

The GE and Russian tubes  do the same job- but somehow the sound is quite different-and I am quite liking the Russian tubes.They all take the electrical signal and magnify is before it goes into the Solid State Class A amp. Why do they sound different?

Soundstage and imaging-I think-relates largely to all the reproduced wavelengths arriving at the ear in phase. With electronics there is a tendency to "group delay" of higher frequencies-that can cause out-of phase transfer. 

I know that with the stock GE tubes as pre-amp for my Denon receiver, to my Speakers- the improvement in localization of instruments and singers was much sharper than when going directly to the Denon (. Further-when using the Lyr tube pre-amp out to the Denon-I heard music apparently coming from the left of the left speaker and the right of the right speaker. Crazy! And I saw a review that said the Lyr as a pre-amp was not good. Anyone else try it?

Those were the '74 Reflektor Silver Shield SWGP (my #2 rated 6n23p). 

Well I just completed a very intense tube roll - 17 of the best tubes.  I have 10 sound qualities for which each tube was given a point rating.  Repeated for 8 different songs.  The point rating system is a good way to rate tubes by different sound aspects - but of course, it doesn't fully capture the real 'personality' of each tube. 

And they do sound different - the very best converge on a few of the best SQ aspects (IMO).  Whether Reflektor, Voskhod, Siemens, Telefunken, Philips, Amperex.  Most important to me is a rich natural tone, coupled with clarity, transparency and detail that uncovers subtle hidden information - the tubes have to be musical and exhibit no etch, brassiness/glassiness, just smooth as can be, then lastly a presentation with a precise transience.

That low level information revealed includes deeply hidden ambient clues that trick the ear/mind into creating a truly holographic imaging.  Think 3d point sources in the sound field radiating in all directions vs a staggered layout of flat cardboard cutouts.  This is what tubes do best!  But it's that transience that really creates the realism - that immediacy of the attack on the front impulse wave - followed by the natural trailing off of the harmonics.  Think of the snap of a guitar string or the 'Bapp' of a snare strike.  Lastly, some tubes just hit the wall and turn muddy and a bit harsh on loud complex passages - other retain their clarity and focus - with seemingly unlimited power reserves.  On these intense passages really a thrill.  Now combine all these attributes and more and you have the top of the charts tubes. 

Dollar for dollar the improvement from the best tubes is probably the best bang for the buck in audio today.

On the source issue - the closer to the source is best - and any intermediate unnecessary connections in the chain will act to rob the detail, transparency and transience.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #5,954 of 23,494
Thanks Rob,
You've described what I've been trying to explain to a skeptical friend.
Now if you can equate it with trams conductance, mu, and linearity in an easy way I'd appreciate it!
The 74 Reflektor Silver Shield SWGP have smoothness in abundance and great soundstage
quote name="rb2013" url="/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/5940#post_11457913"]Those were the '74 Reflektor Silver Shield SWGP (my #2 rated 6n23p). 

Well I just completed a very intense tube roll - 17 of the best tubes.  I have 10 sound qualities for which each tube was given a point rating.  Repeated for 8 different songs.  The point rating system is a good way to rate tubes by different sound aspects - but of course, it doesn't fully capture the real 'personality' of each tube. 

And they do sound different - the very best converge on a few of the best SQ aspects (IMO).  Whether Reflektor, Voskhod, Siemens, Telefunken, Philips, Amperex.  Most important to me is a rich natural tone, coupled with clarity, transparency and detail that uncovers subtle hidden information - the tubes have to be musical and exhibit no etch, brassiness/glassiness, just smooth as can be, then lastly a presentation with a precise transience.

That low level information revealed includes deeply hidden ambient clues that trick the ear/mind into creating a truly holographic imaging.  Think 3d point sources in the sound field radiating in all directions vs a staggered layout of flat cardboard cutouts.  This is what tubes do best!  But it's that transience that really creates the realism - that immediacy of the attack on the front impulse wave - followed by the natural trailing off of the harmonics.  Think of the snap of a guitar string or the 'Bapp' of a snare strike.  Lastly, some tubes just hit the wall and turn muddy and a bit harsh on loud complex passages - other retain their clarity and focus - with seemingly unlimited power reserves.  On these intense passages really a thrill.  Now combine all these attributes and more and you have the top of the charts tubes. 

Dollar for dollar the improvement from the best tubes is probably the best bang for the buck in audio today.

On the source issue - the closer to the source is best - and any intermediate unnecessary connections in the chain will act to rob the detail, transparency and transience.

Cheers!
:beerchug:  
[/quote]

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #5,955 of 23,494
  Those were the '74 Reflektor Silver Shield SWGP (my #2 rated 6n23p). 

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Very nicely put, Bob.  That is one heckuva project you took on.  I'm really curious to see how you heard and interpreted the many high-end sound signatures you sampled.  Not many go to tube heaven and return to tell about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back