Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 30, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #5,971 of 23,494
I went down the new production road for a long time.  My Conrad Johnson 16LS pre-amp took 6 6922's - so to find 6 matched vintage tubes was near impossible.  So for folks with that kind of equipment new production is virtually the only route.  The sota CJ ART took 10!

Cool, I keep forgetting the really high quality amps can use a lot of tubes. I guess that is another reason why I like a lyr or lyr2, one only has to worry about finding one pair of matched tubes.

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #5,972 of 23,494
Cool, I keep forgetting the really high quality amps can use a lot of tubes. I guess that is another reason why I like a lyr or lyr2, one only has to worry about finding one pair of matched tubes.

Yes!  That makes the vintage route so much easier.  If you see equipment with only one tube - it is likely only a tube buffer vs a real tubed pre-amp stage like on the Lyr.  Those tube buffers are only there to 'tube up' an opamp pre-amp stage and don't have the 'magic' of a real tube pre.

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #5,973 of 23,494

HG's? I'm hoping SOME company buys the records from Telefunken, etc-on HOW to make new tubes properly. I saw that "Telefunken" were being made again. Presumably, if they use the same processes and materials-I wonder if they will sound good? The Gold Lions have been described as being Good-for new tubes. How about EXCELLENT? Otherwise our hobby has a finite end date. Presumably the trade secrets of old could be legally transferred? "One drop of Antimony, 2 drops of Magnesium, Eye of Newt.." 

A few months ago, I tried the current production Telefunken TK's, and after over 250 hours of burn time, they are not bad. They do not compare at all to the nos Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes. The NOS Telefunken tubes are like a exquisite bottle of 50 year old single malt scotch. And the Telefunken TK's are a very nice blended scotch. The Telefunken TK's seem to tighten the bass and improve the quality of bass. The mids are smoothed out and seemed more textured, revealing. The highs seem a touch smoother and more revealing. The soundstage is wider and holographic, compared to the stock tubes. I use them, for watching tv and playing fallout 3. Ahough I did use them, with my DT 880's, to listen to some Zepplin and old Yes and was very happy with the result. But why buy currently produced tubes, when one can get some good nos tubes for half the price. When it comes to tube rolling I feel like I have another audiophile monkey on my back, but this one eats only tubes lol. I think I shall go listen to " shoot the monkey" lol

Lol...we just have to accept this hobby as a money pit my man....

Happy rolling.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #5,974 of 23,494

Ok hoss...not sure if you picked up the Modi2 with Uber upgrade. Its the way to go for an amazing value on the cheap, the setup would go: Source > Modi2+Uber > Lyr/Lyr2 > LCD3s...the result: sublime!

Hope you find yours buddy.

Cheers

The Bitfrost Uber - sans the USB since I'm using my X5 as the source through a coax - my amp sits on the end table next to my bed so I can chill out after a long day and I find getting a laptop (or even my Surface) out to be an utter pain in the a**.  I'm getting over the sticker shock already and am pumped up.  I figure if this doesn't work to my liking I'll have to sell another lens to B&H for an Antelope Zodiac http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/products/zodiac-dac which is how I auditioned my LCD-3's - or an or Oppo HA-1 which I'd been eyeing ironically before you mentioned it.  BTW, sorry for going off topic on this thread guys, but I trust your advice and believe it or not this is all related to my Siemen's CCa experimentation :)))  I'm sure a lot of Lyr owners have been wondering about powering LCD-3's and in the end I'll be thrilled to share my tube experiences with them.

SFO - when you use a pre-amp with the Lyr, how much volume do you typically set with the pre-amp (like the Oppo or Antelope) when feeding the Lyr?  No experience with this arrangement.

Rob.

The Bifrost Uber is around $449 if I am not mistaken, it has got to be kick ass and much better than the Modi2. I don't know how much that Zodiac DAC is? Haven't come across it before.

The Oppo-HA1 has a Pre-amp bypass mode and puts out the signal at line level with no volume control. So I feed it directly into my Lyr2 and use the volume knob on the Lyr2. When I am in LCD3 configuration, its all set and I use the Lyr's volume knob.

I have another convoluted setup 
biggrin.gif
 where the pre-amp outs of the Lyr2 go into my NAD Integ Amp that powers my Triton 7s. I have the Lyr2 on high-gain and usually set the volume knob at 12 o'clock. I use the NAD's volume control while passed out on the couch. Guys please don't jump on my case about double amping, I know the risks, and I don't give a rat's ass 
wink.gif

Just out of curiosity, what Camera do you use?

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #5,975 of 23,494

Other choices at reasonable cost would be the Siemens '60s (gray shields) E88CC's, Philips MiniWatts '60 SQ E188CC, Amperex '60s 7308.

All reasonably easy to find and you should be able to get them for under $200/pr.

Good luck!

Reddog,
I've bought numerous pairs of 60's Miniwatts Hollands (the Valvo Hollands are the same tubes) both E188CC and E88CC. If you are patient and do your homework (and just get a little bit lucky!) you should be able to get NOS or near NOS E88CC pairs for under $100 and E188CC pairs for certainly under $175. Especially if you check out Ebay Europe. Got my last pair of 1965 E188CC Philips Miniwatts for something like $70 in an auction and they are perfect for what I listen for. Just got to stay on it !!!
Also I see and have purchased American made Amperex 7308 pairs, NOS, in the neighborhood of $125 to $150. Great, wide-open, very revealing tubes with a wonderfully wide soundstage.

+1 Nice - Thanks for the recommendations. This will come in handy validating the next installment of the tube compatibility chart.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #5,976 of 23,494
Other choices at reasonable cost would be the Siemens '60s (gray shields) E88CC's, Philips MiniWatts '60 SQ E188CC, Amperex '60s 7308.

All reasonably easy to find and you should be able to get them for under $200/pr.

Good luck!

Reddog,
I've bought numerous pairs of 60's Miniwatts Hollands (the Valvo Hollands are the same tubes) both E188CC and E88CC. If you are patient and do your homework (and just get a little bit lucky!) you should be able to get NOS or near NOS E88CC pairs for under $100 and E188CC pairs for certainly under $175. Especially if you check out Ebay Europe. Got my last pair of 1965 E188CC Philips Miniwatts for something like $70 in an auction and they are perfect for what I listen for. Just got to stay on it !!!
Also I see and have purchased American made Amperex 7308 pairs, NOS, in the neighborhood of $125 to $150. Great, wide-open, very revealing tubes with a wonderfully wide soundstage.

Sweet I will do that, and I have not really checked out Ebay Europe but will do so now thanks for the information.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #5,977 of 23,494

The Oppo-HA1 has a Pre-amp bypass mode and puts out the signal at line level with no volume control. So I feed it directly into my Lyr2 and use the volume knob on the Lyr2. When I am in LCD3 configuration, its all set and I use the Lyr's volume knob.

I have another convoluted setup 
biggrin.gif
 where the pre-amp outs of the Lyr2 go into my NAD Integ Amp that powers my Triton 7s. I have the Lyr2 on high-gain and usually set the volume knob at 12 o'clock. I use the NAD's volume control while passed out on the couch. Guys please don't jump on my case about double amping, I know the risks, and I don't give a rat's ass 
wink.gif

Just out of curiosity, what Camera do you use?

Ha, that makes total sense, I'm an idiot.  I have a couple different older cameras, a leica m6, hasselblad and rolleiflex.  The lenses I parted ways with for the LCD-3 was a Leica 90mm APO which I don't really use.  If I have to sell a 35mm or 50mm I'll be in a world of hurt.  Love them.

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #5,978 of 23,494

Ha, that makes total sense, I'm an idiot.  I have a couple different older cameras, a leica m6, hasselblad and rolleiflex.  The lenses I parted ways with for the LCD-3 was a Leica 90mm APO which I don't really use.  If I have to sell a 35mm or 50mm I'll be in a world of hurt.  Love them.

Dude - Awesome Cameras and lenses, way to go! I own a 5D mk iii, a FujiFilm Xe-1, and some decent lenses. But I agree with you the 35mm is the bread and butter of photographers and I am sure your 50mm shoots amazing portraits....sorry for digressing guys, just getting acquainted.

Back to tube rolling now 
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #5,979 of 23,494
  I have a pair of 1956 Amperex Holland 7L0 (zero) Pinched Waists, the first year of E88CC pinched waist production.  One is from Eindhoven, Holland and is extremely rare.  The other is from Heerlen.  They are my hands-down favorite pair of tubes in my Woo WA2. 
Well this arrived from heaven today.  It is even more rare...in fact until I started searching for more Pinched Waists I didn't know these existed.  Another 1956 first year production, 7L1 Valvo Heerlen CCa Pinched Waist E88CC.  Like I said I didn't know there WERE pinched waist CCa's.  Sit down and take a look:

I got it this afternoon and let it warm up for a couple hours and then paired it with the '56 Eindhoven Pinched Waist. 
The balance between the two tubes seems perfect.  The sound is....how should I say this...perfect !  For me anyway. Total fricking engagement.
Know I sound like a kid at Christmas...but damn, that's how I feel.  Hope y'all enjoy the pic.

Here's the Brent Jesse take on the Heerlen Valvo CCa's...and he doesn't even mention the pinched waist versions:

Cca Philips Holland made for Valvo (ultra premium 6DJ8/6922) RARE, gold pins.MATCHED PAIR
New Old Stock white Box. MORE PAIRS JUST IN! Possibly the rarest type and make of tube in the entire 6DJ8/6922 family, these museum pieces are a rare collector's prize! Unlike most Cca types made in Germany, these are Holland made with characteristic warmth and musicality of the Dutch tubes. The Cca is one of the "Holy Grail" tubes in the 6922/7308 family, and probably the best audiophile 6DJ8 type ever made, at any time. They were originally made for the German Government for use in telecommunications where low noise and long life were critical. Most you will find were made in Germany, but these Amperex made tubes are a rare exception: a Dutch tube made for a German company, Valvo. The labels are good, and these are all Valvo labels, with Heerlen Holland factory marks. These are VERY scarce in the USA, unheard of in matched pairs. You can spend more than this on speaker cables or fancy interconnects, and not get the sonic improvement these tubes will provide! Very nicely matched pair, supplied with test data and our 30 day guarantee. SINGLE TUBES ARE $475.00

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #5,980 of 23,494
    I have a pair of 1956 Amperex Holland 7L0 (zero) Pinched Waists, the first year of E88CC pinched waist production.  One is from Eindhoven, Holland and is extremely rare.  The other is from Heerlen.  They are my hands-down favorite pair of tubes in my Woo WA2. 
Well this arrived from heaven today.  It is even more rare...in fact until I started searching for more Pinched Waists I didn't know these existed.  Another 1956 first year production, 7L1 Valvo Heerlen CCa Pinched Waist E88CC.  Like I said I didn't know there WERE pinched waist CCa's.  Sit down and take a look:

I got it this afternoon and let it warm up for a couple hours and then paired it with the '56 Eindhoven Pinched Waist. 
The balance between the two tubes seems perfect.  The sound is....how should I say this...perfect !  For me anyway. Total fricking engagement.
Know I sound like a kid at Christmas...but damn, that's how I feel.  Hope y'all enjoy the pic.

Here's the Brent Jesse take on the Heerlen Valvo CCa's...and he doesn't even mention the pinched waist versions:

Cca Philips Holland made for Valvo (ultra premium 6DJ8/6922) RARE, gold pins.MATCHED PAIR
New Old Stock white Box. MORE PAIRS JUST IN! Possibly the rarest type and make of tube in the entire 6DJ8/6922 family, these museum pieces are a rare collector's prize! Unlike most Cca types made in Germany, these are Holland made with characteristic warmth and musicality of the Dutch tubes. The Cca is one of the "Holy Grail" tubes in the 6922/7308 family, and probably the best audiophile 6DJ8 type ever made, at any time. They were originally made for the German Government for use in telecommunications where low noise and long life were critical. Most you will find were made in Germany, but these Amperex made tubes are a rare exception: a Dutch tube made for a German company, Valvo. The labels are good, and these are all Valvo labels, with Heerlen Holland factory marks. These are VERY scarce in the USA, unheard of in matched pairs. You can spend more than this on speaker cables or fancy interconnects, and not get the sonic improvement these tubes will provide! Very nicely matched pair, supplied with test data and our 30 day guarantee. SINGLE TUBES ARE $475.00

Nice find!  What a beauty...bet it sounds great
beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #5,982 of 23,494
Awesome find! Congrats!
quote name="billerb1" url="/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/5970#post_11461255"]

I've never heard anything present the highs like this. So much room and depth.  Pretty breathtaking really.
[/quote]

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #5,983 of 23,494
I just turned off my Lyr. I've had it on for the past 24 hours. screw

No music was playing, so I guess that's a good thing

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #5,984 of 23,494
  I just turned off my Lyr. I've had it on for the past 24 hours. screw

No music was playing, so I guess that's a good thing

I'm starting to think it sounds better after being on for a few hours. I listened to a CD about an hour after switching it on. The violins sounded a bit "scratchy"- listening to the same recording a few hours after-I did not hear the scratchiness. Odd. I'll have to see if it happens again-or was I imagining that the Lyr sounded better after being on for 4 hours?
Some leave it on all the time. But I want the tubes to last...

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #5,985 of 23,494
A few months ago, I tried the current production Telefunken TK's, and after over 250 hours of burn time, they are not bad. They do not compare at all to the nos Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes. The NOS Telefunken tubes are like a exquisite bottle of 50 year old single malt scotch. And the Telefunken TK's are a very nice blended scotch. The Telefunken TK's seem to tighten the bass and improve the quality of bass. The mids are smoothed out and seemed more textured, revealing. The highs seem a touch smoother and more revealing. The soundstage is wider and holographic, compared to the stock tubes. I use them, for watching tv and playing fallout 3. Ahough I did use them, with my DT 880's, to listen to some Zepplin and old Yes and was very happy with the result. But why buy currently produced tubes, when one can get some good nos tubes for half the price. When it comes to tube rolling I feel like I have another audiophile monkey on my back, but this one eats only tubes lol. I think I shall go listen to " shoot the monkey" lol

Thanks! I was curious. I need to buy socket savers if I'm going to be regularly switching tubes! I can see it now. 74 Reflecktor Silver Shields for Classical, Modern Telefunken for Jazz, GE Stock for Rock…. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back