Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 28, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #5,926 of 23,494
Hey you LCD-3 owners -

First off I have received my Siemens CCa tubes this week, which despite not burning them in fully are amazing. I'll reciew them separately when I can do them justice :)

First thing I realized once they started to burn in.... My HE-500's were not enough. All the clarity and separation made them sound harsh more often than I liked for one. So I took a trip to B&H and picked up LCD-2's. Of course, isn't that we all would do?

Here's the thing. They're great in ways. A lot of personality. The classic review on them applies. Warm and smooth.

However they're not without their issues. They're a little too soft and they're not very flat. I am considering the LCD-3 now to rectify that as well as pick up all the other benefits of the LCD-3. The problem I read is that the LCD-3's will require an amp of greater quality than the Lyr. Now I know a lot of you guys have this combo. Do you agree with that assessment? The reviews make it sound like I'll not hear a difference between the 2 and 3's. And I love my Lyr I don't want to get a 3K amp. Right now with the HE-500's I can pick up nuances of the tube rolling, where I can't with the LCD-2's.

Spending money on a Bifrost is the most I would like to spend for a while after the headphone upgrade.

Is the LCD-3 going to give me something a little flatter with more texture with my system as is? My DAC ATM is my Fiio X5 which I feel is pretty good...

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #5,927 of 23,494
Hey you LCD-3 owners -

First off I have received my Siemens CCa tubes this week, which despite not burning them in fully are amazing. I'll reciew them separately when I can do them justice
smily_headphones1.gif

First thing I realized once they started to burn in.... My HE-500's were not enough. All the clarity and separation made them sound harsh more often than I liked for one. So I took a trip to B&H and picked up LCD-2's. Of course, isn't that we all would do?

Here's the thing. They're great in ways. A lot of personality. The classic review on them applies. Warm and smooth.

However they're not without their issues. They're a little too soft and they're not very flat. I am considering the LCD-3 now to rectify that as well as pick up all the other benefits of the LCD-3. The problem I read is that the LCD-3's will require an amp of greater quality than the Lyr. Now I know a lot of you guys have this combo. Do you agree with that assessment? The reviews make it sound like I'll not hear a difference between the 2 and 3's. And I love my Lyr I don't want to get a 3K amp. Right now with the HE-500's I can pick up nuances of the tube rolling, where I can't with the LCD-2's.

Spending money on a Bifrost is the most I would like to spend for a while after the headphone upgrade.

Is the LCD-3 going to give me something a little flatter with more texture with my system as is? My DAC ATM is my Fiio X5 which I feel is pretty good...

I don't know about the LCD-3 but I would say the Bifrost Uber is well worth the money. When I moved up to it from my ODAC, I could CLEARLY hear details that I did not hear before, and some treble harshness that was present with my ODAC was no longer there on the Bifrost. I couldn't believe how big a difference it was. Now I'm not sure how much different the X5 DAC is to the ODAC, so YMMV!

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #5,928 of 23,494
Hey you LCD-3 owners -

I don't have the LCD-3's but have thought about getting them or the LCD-X's, to add to the HD800's I love.

I like the cut of your jib man!
beerchug.gif

Spending money on a Bifrost...

And so it begins...where does it end...LOL!
darthsmile.gif

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #5,929 of 23,494
Hey you LCD-3 owners -

First off I have received my Siemens CCa tubes this week, which despite not burning them in fully are amazing. I'll reciew them separately when I can do them justice
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats on your Siemens CCa tubes man! That's awesome and I look forward to reading your impressions. 

Now to the subject of the Lyr and the LCD3s, I have owned both for several months now and can't imagine a different combination. I have auditioned several headphones including the HD800s when I was buying the LCD3s. Albeit, at the time I was pairing them with the Oppo-HA1 and to my ears, it was clear that the LCD3s are my favorite.

I added the Lyr2 shortly after getting the LCD3s & the Oppo-HA1 as I wanted the warm tube sound. So my setup now goes from my DAC (Oppo-HA1) or LP Player to the Lyr2 then the LCD3s or my AMP & Speakers based on the mood.

The Lyr2 drives the LCD3s superbly! I am not sure why someone would say that the Lyr/Lyr2 will not do a good job with those HPs; I disagree with that opinion and can tell you that I have never looked back. Every time I toy with the idea of buying new HPs, like the HD800s, or a Hifi man just to see if the grass is greener on the other side, I end up changing my mind and getting more tubes for the Lyr2 to experience different sound signatures.

I have posted a couple of reviews in this thread with the Lyr2 and the LCD3s and you can find one of them a few pages back. But I highly recommend that you follow your heart and go for it 
wink.gif

Having said that and being an audiophile, I am intrigued by high-end headphones. I am constantly eyeing the HD800s and other HPs and most likely will end up buying some in the future.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #5,930 of 23,494
Got my RB2013 Russian NOS Reflektors. Plugged them in. Not even on 10 min and they sound great!
If anyone wonders Bob packs them in bubble wrap inside a box packed with newspaper. Very secure. My "Amazon Packaging Review" for Bob is 5 stars!
Now I have to figure out how to store the GE tubes.
Roll On!

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #5,931 of 23,494
Got my RB2013 Russian NOS Reflektors. Plugged them in. Not even on 10 min and they sound great!
If anyone wonders Bob packs them in bubble wrap inside a box packed with newspaper. Very secure. My "Amazon Packaging Review" for Bob is 5 stars!
Now I have to figure out how to store the GE tubes.
Roll On!

I put the stock tubes into Styrofoam and put the tube in a old medicine bottle. I recently went to a pirate campout and was tempted to put the stock tubes in my blundbist and shoot watermelon we had as a target. But waist not want not, the stock tubes are not that horrible, especially after extensive burn in.

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #5,933 of 23,494
I recently went to a pirate campout and was tempted to put the stock tubes in my blundbist and shoot watermelon we had as a target.

LOL!  As Mr Scarey used to say on the old thread - 'Open your front door and throw them at the street light'.  Loved reading that guy!  He never minced words.

But shooting them out of a Blunderbuss at a watermelon is even better!!
etysmile.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #5,934 of 23,494
I put the stock tubes into Styrofoam and put the tube in a old medicine bottle. I recently went to a pirate campout and was tempted to put the stock tubes in my blundbist and shoot watermelon we had as a target. But waist not want not, the stock tubes are not that horrible, especially after extensive burn in.

Good idea! And yes, I found myself OK with the GE NOS tubes. Not bad. Enough to decide to keep the amp. What I heard this morning after 5-10 minutes after plugging in the Russian tubes-was VERY encouraging.. I was away all day-just coming back to them after 11 hours of burn in… At least the Lyr won't be COLD like it was.
Blunderbuss! Not everyone has one handy! :)

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #5,935 of 23,494
  LOL!  As Mr Scarey used to say on the old thread - 'Open your front door and throw them at the street light'.  Loved reading that guy!  He never minced words.

But shooting them out of a Blunderbuss at a watermelon is even better!!
etysmile.gif

Yep! Home at last. Gunna listen now...

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #5,936 of 23,494
  Good idea! And yes, I found myself OK with the GE NOS tubes. Not bad. Enough to decide to keep the amp. What I heard this morning after 5-10 minutes after plugging in the Russian tubes-was VERY encouraging.. I was away all day-just coming back to them after 11 hours of burn in… At least the Lyr won't be COLD like it was.
Blunderbuss! Not everyone has one handy! :)

But almost everyone has a street light out the front door. 
etysmile.gif

Just kidding - I give Schiit credit for at least shipping with NOS tubes - not JJs.

You know the drill on burn in - let them run for a few days - 100 hrs.  And watch them start to bloom

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #5,937 of 23,494

But almost everyone has a street light out the front door. 
etysmile.gif

Just kidding - I give Schiit credit for at least shipping with NOS tubes - not JJs.

You know the drill on burn in - let them run for a few days - 100 hrs.  And watch them start to bloom

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

That's true! And I will. But they sounded quite good this morning after 5 minutes. Gunna be listening during burn in.
I wonder what years the GE NOS came from. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #5,938 of 23,494
Like Exacoustatowner I am currently burning in my rb2013 reflektors.  They are the 74's though as he did not have any 75's at the time..  I've got about 30 hours on them and already they've opened up some.  Bass has improved and I'm impressed by the mids.  Up front but not over the top.  Very nice.  They sound excellent!  Looking forward to full burn in.   

Special thanks to rb2013.  Shipping and packaging was great!  Hopefully my name is down for the next batch of 75's he get's in.  Also can't wait to see the results of the shootout!!

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #5,939 of 23,494
  Like Exacoustatowner I am currently burning in my rb2013 reflektors.  They are the 74's though as he did not have any 75's at the time..  I've got about 30 hours on them and already they've opened up some.  Bass has improved and I'm impressed by the mids.  Up front but not over the top.  Very nice.  They sound excellent!  Looking forward to full burn in.   

Special thanks to rb2013.  Shipping and packaging was great!  Hopefully my name is down for the next batch of 75's he get's in.  Also can't wait to see the results of the shootout!!

+1 welcome to the club brother! Wait till they burn past 60+ hours, its a whole different ball game my man.

Happy tube rolling.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back