Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 25, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #5,896 of 23,494

The .33 uf Mundorf S S/G/O caps are $100 - the rest of the upgraded 'lytics maybe $50 - so $150 plus a silver fuse = total $200 for what maybe a nice improvement.  Maybe an hours soldering.

Once my Grand Lyr Tube Shootout review is posted - I'll get a separate Lyr Mod thread started.  I have a pretty extensive list of mods done by Empirical Audio's Steve Nugent:

PS My experience with my DAC Mod Project on the Lite DAC60, has blown me away.  I tried three different Mundorf Supreme Caps in the coupling section - each step a significant level of improvement.  And the PS and PS filtering upgrades made major improvements as well - this baby is sounding so sweet!  I'm anxious to see what the Lyr can be upgraded to for little money.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/740362/lite-dac60-pcm1704-r2r-tubed-dac-mod-project

very nice!

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #5,897 of 23,494

Lol....Mine is not quite there yet rb2013, but its on its way there.

Sorry for the dumb question but whats the benefit of these upgraded caps? I have read on multiple boards and on some of your posts many upgrades for these caps and have always wondered about the sonic benefit?

Also, is that your new Lyr that you are modding?

I've been looking for a Lyr 2 used at a good price to do the mods on.

Well as far as caps go - it depends on the location and implementation.  There are film caps and electrolytic caps - usually the film caps will make the biggest difference.  But even the 'lytics can - as my DAC mod project showed me.  The 'Lytics are the round black cans. The biggest are to feed power to the Mosfets - the smaller are likely PS filtering.  Those small filter caps can have a SQ impact.  I'll likely replace those with either Pannie FCs, Nichicon Muse KZ or Silmic IIs.  they are cheap enough to try the different top types and if they'll fit.

Talk about tube shootouts - here is a cap shootout!
It explains what each cap sounds like in a general sense.
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html
Notice the Wima MKP vs the Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil

CAUTION: LETHAL VOLTAGES!  You should never mess with any kind of a DIY mod unless you are highly skilled and knowledgeable.  Capacitors can hold a lethal charge long after they are unplugged from the wall and need to be safely discharged.  You can always buy the parts and have a qualified tech do the work - like Sonic Craft.

Looks like I have some reading to do this weekend. Thanks for the info buddy.

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #5,898 of 23,494

Looks like I have some reading to do this weekend. Thanks for the info buddy.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #5,899 of 23,494
Here is a quick update on the new tubes I got:

The Amperex OGs are the warmest, full bodied bass, good imaging and all the good stuff you expect. The Bugle Boys are probably second as solid performers with a really good sound signature. The laggard are the Lorenz SELs PCC88s, they are leaps and bounds better than stock but I get the sense they are at the bottom of the stack when it comes to my vintage tubes.

I will try to do a good comparison between these tubes and the HGs sometime soon and give my impressions similar to the one I posted earlier between the HGs and stock:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/5325#post_11347250

Cheers

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #5,900 of 23,494

The Amperex OGs are the warmest, full bodied bass, good imaging and all the good stuff you expect. The Bugle Boys are probably second as solid performers with a really good sound signature. The laggard are the Lorenz SELs PCC88s, they are leaps and bounds better than stock but I get the sense they are at the bottom of the stack when it comes to my vintage tubes.

I will try to do a good comparison between these tubes and the HGs sometime soon and give my impressions similar to the one I posted earlier between the HGs and stock:

Cheers

Looking forward to hearing your impressions!

Happy Rolling!

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #5,901 of 23,494

Cheers

Looking forward to hearing your impressions!

Happy Rolling!

Thanks buddy. How is your tube shoot out progressing? You must be on the tail end of things by now...

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #5,902 of 23,494

Thanks buddy. How is your tube shoot out progressing? You must be on the tail end of things by now...

It's done - now comes the dreaded writing part.  I have eight spreadsheets to compile (one for each song) - I used this while listening to mark point ratings and comments.
Then build a master spreadsheet.  So I can rank by each song and sound attribute.

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #5,903 of 23,494

It's done - now comes the dreaded writing part.  I have eight spreadsheets to compile (one for each song) - I used this while listening to mark point ratings and comments.
Then build a master spreadsheet.  So I can rank by each song and sound attribute.

Good lord! Looks like you in for a lot of brain squeezing. But you know what, its fun! I enjoyed doing my mini tube shoot out, albeit a freaking spot on the wall compared to your tube shoot out. But it was really cool to think about why something sounds good and covert it to language - we talked about this before.

At any event dude, good luck with the collation, consolidation, and write-up. We eagerly await the results.

Cheers

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #5,904 of 23,494

Good lord! Looks like you in for a lot of brain squeezing. But you know what, its fun! I enjoyed doing my mini tube shoot out, albeit a freaking spot on the wall compared to your tube shoot out. But it was really cool to think about why something sounds good and covert it to language - we talked about this before.

At any event dude, good luck with the collation, consolidation, and write-up. We eagerly await the results.

Cheers

It is fun (besides the fried fingers)!  With so many tubes it would be near impossible to remember later what was what.  It worked really well.  I have key things in each song I listen for - so I would mark each attribute as they arrived.  I also marked notes as to the overall impression of each tube.

With this recording system I can now get rankings for best detail or best euphonics, etc...

I hope this will help folks who might have different tastes then me and different systems.

Good luck!

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #5,905 of 23,494
  It is fun (besides the fried fingers)!  With so many tubes it would be near impossible to remember later what was what.  It worked really well.  I have key things in each song I listen for - so I would mark each attribute as they arrived.  I also marked notes as to the overall impression of each tube.

With this recording system I can now get rankings for best detail or best euphonics, etc...

I hope this will help folks who might have different tastes then me and different systems.

Good luck!

Hoo dog, I can't wait to read all about it!

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #5,906 of 23,494
  Hoo dog, I can't wait to read all about it!

Thanks!  And I do have these on the way to add on before I post:

Amperex D Getter 6922 White Print 1960.  I really loved the Amperex PW 6922 D Getter Holland's musicality and good euphonics - and the Amperex 7308 USN-CEP were some of my favorites with great detail and clarity.  So I'm hoping these combine the best of both.  They should be here soon.

Tubes are all 7L9 / *9J / *9K or *9L production codes and are among the earliest USA / Hicksville  made  6922 tubes. AMPEREX PQ white labels - all are date coded 60-05

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-D-GETTER-6922-PREAMP-TUBE-PAIR-SAME-DATE-AS-PINCH-WAIST-AND-TEST-DATA-/271811833858?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=8qYXUYW0eXRUv%252BoE99msRfzL57Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

PS The only thing with this US Seller - '$16.00 Expedited Shipping'  Yet no tracking number and from NJ it's showing an expected arrival 2 weeks after shipping!  What a ripoff!

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #5,907 of 23,494

This is amazing! I can't wait to see the results!

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #5,908 of 23,494

This weekend I will work on it - I'm building 27 seperate spreadsheets.  One for each song and one for each tube.  So I can rank by song and attribute, as well as overall.

Wifey is still kinda pissed at me for killing the weekend -12 hrs a day rolling.  So I have to be cool for awhile.

Anybody see this new Cadillac commercial with Steve Wozniack listening to a sweet analog rig and HD800s!  Oh yeah the Woz has great taste in music and HPs! 
Massive LP collection and a mega buck turntable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQvSG5rStew

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #5,909 of 23,494

This weekend I will work on it - I'm building 27 seperate spreadsheets.  One for each song and one for each tube.  So I can rank by song and attribute, as well as overall.

Wifey is still kinda pissed at me for killing the weekend -12 hrs a day rolling.  So I have to be cool for awhile.

Anybody see this new Cadillac commercial with Steve Wozniack listening to a sweet analog rig and HD800s!  Oh yeah the Woz has great taste in music and HPs! 

Just saw that - pretty cool setup and amazing LP collection. I assume this was taken in his home and not in a studio.

Also, it was funny to see that he had nothing to do with the car, he only was willing to be in the beginning listening to his HPs and then they slapped the rest of the commercial together 
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #5,910 of 23,494
My wife looked at me crazy , when I blurted out, "That guy has HD-800's on." Lol. I'm curious what turntable that is? Looks expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back