Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 25, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #5,881 of 23,494

BTW- I love that picture.......LOL, it describes how our wallets feel when they meet tube rolling to a T!

Mine is like a charcoal briquette 
eek.gif
- I've  been rolling Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil caps in my DAC and Amps as well - those suckers are incredible but don't come cheap (but a least 30% cheaper thanks to the strong dollar - they're made in Germany).
tongue.gif

I have a pair burning in for the Lyr mods - some .33uf's to replace those $6 red box Wima's.  Talk about burnin  - these German caps need 500-600 hrs.

beyersmile.png

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #5,882 of 23,494

BTW- I love that picture.......LOL, it describes how our wallets feel when they meet tube rolling to a T!

eek.gif
- I've  been rolling Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil caps in my DAC and Amps as well - those suckers are incredible but don't come cheap (but a least 30% cheaper thanks to the strong dollar - they're made in Germany).
tongue.gif

I have a pair burning in for the Lyr mods - some .33uf's to replace those $6 red box Wima's.  Talk about burnin  - these German caps need 500-600 hrs.

beyersmile.png

Lol....Mine is not quite there yet rb2013, but its on its way there.

Sorry for the dumb question but whats the benefit of these upgraded caps? I have read on multiple boards and on some of your posts many upgrades for these caps and have always wondered about the sonic benefit?

Also, is that your new Lyr that you are modding?

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #5,883 of 23,494

Lol....Mine is not quite there yet rb2013, but its on its way there.

Sorry for the dumb question but whats the benefit of these upgraded caps? I have read on multiple boards and on some of your posts many upgrades for these caps and have always wondered about the sonic benefit?

Also, is that your new Lyr that you are modding?

I've been looking for a Lyr 2 used at a good price to do the mods on.

Well as far as caps go - it depends on the location and implementation.  There are film caps and electrolytic caps - usually the film caps will make the biggest difference.  But even the 'lytics can - as my DAC mod project showed me.  The 'Lytics are the round black cans. The biggest are to feed power to the Mosfets - the smaller are likely PS filtering.  Those small filter caps can have a SQ impact.  I'll likely replace those with either Pannie FCs, Nichicon Muse KZ or Silmic IIs.  they are cheap enough to try the different top types and if they'll fit.

Talk about tube shootouts - here is a cap shootout!
It explains what each cap sounds like in a general sense.
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html
Notice the Wima MKP vs the Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil

CAUTION: LETHAL VOLTAGES!  You should never mess with any kind of a DIY mod unless you are highly skilled and knowledgeable.  Capacitors can hold a lethal charge long after they are unplugged from the wall and need to be safely discharged.  You can always buy the parts and have a qualified tech do the work - like Sonic Craft.

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #5,884 of 23,494
Anyone try the Cavalli Liquid Glass?

https://www.cavalliaudio.com/index.php?p=product_details&pId=1

Looks to me like it could be a step up from the Lyr?

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #5,885 of 23,494

For $2950.00 it needs to be a giant step up...

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #5,887 of 23,494

A tube rollers dream!  I have always admired their stuff and almost bought a Liquid Fire before the Lyr.  I hear the Liquid Gold is better.
  List of Tubes That Should Work:
Noval​
Octal​
12AU76SN7
ECC8212SN7
5963VT231
6680CV1986
5814CV1988
12AT7B65
ECC81B63
6DJ8ECC32
ECC88CV181
ECC88 
6H30 
6N1PEB 
6H23EB 
ECC802 
6CG7 
12BH7 
6FQ7 
6GU7 

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #5,888 of 23,494

A tube rollers dream!  I have always admired their stuff and almost bought a Liquid Fire before the Lyr.  I hear the Liquid Gold is better.

Ooo, how did you find it? Looks like the Liquid Fire would have been a different beast from the Liquid Gold since you could tube roll with the former. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #5,889 of 23,494

Bob, any idea what allows the amp to handle such a variety of tubes with such varying voltages?

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #5,890 of 23,494
I am afraid to hear their stuff! :wink:

quote name="stjj89" url="/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/5880#post_11445083"]
Ooo, how did you find it? Looks like the Liquid Fire would have been a different beast from the Liquid Gold since you could tube roll with the former. 
[/quote]

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #5,891 of 23,494

They still make the Liquid Fire - but it's called the Liquid Crimson.  Uses only 1 6922.  The Liquid Fire used four.  I'm wondering if they changed it to just a tube buffer.

Yes they are different - there is a Liquid Gold Bal that's all SS and $3950

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #5,893 of 23,494
If a Liquid Fire came up for sale cheap - I'd buy if for no other reason then to compare to a modded Lyr 2.  The good part about these amps - the beloved tube collection would be put to good use.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577294/review-cavalli-audio-liquid-fire-headphone-amplifier
 My enthrallment with the Liquid Fire is a bit ironic, actually. While I do maintain an open mind before listening to anything, in the back of my mind getting the Liquid Fire was mostly for the purpose of ruling it out. Yet, it came out on top, compared to the amps tested thus far: Woo Audio’s WA22 and Red Wine Audio Audez’e Edition.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #5,894 of 23,494
I've a friend who does this, But mostly with old tube amps she and her husband repair. I'd be really curious to hear a modified vs. un modified Lyr!

Quote:

eek.gif
tongue.gif

beyersmile.png

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #5,895 of 23,494
I've a friend who does this, But mostly with old tube amps she and her husband repair. I'd be really curious to hear a modified vs. un modified Lyr!

The .33 uf Mundorf S S/G/O caps are $100 - the rest of the upgraded 'lytics maybe $50 - so $150 plus a silver fuse = total $200 for what may be a nice improvement.  Maybe an hours soldering.

Once my Grand Lyr Tube Shootout review is posted - I'll get a separate Lyr Mod thread started.  I have a pretty extensive list of mods done by Empirical Audio's Steve Nugent:
I am a manufacturer and I usually don't do headphones, but I have been invited to a local high-school to exhibit for their science fair.  I am excited to teach a little here and encourage more students to pursue science and math careers. I plan to demonstrate the differences in SQ between MP3, .wav, ALAC and AIFF files.  Also highlight differences between digital and analog out on an iPod, which will be my source.  I will reclock it of course in order to reduce jitter to the point where I can hopefully hear these differences using my DAC. 

Anyway, I purchased a Lyr Headamp based on some of the reviews I've read here and the fact that I will likely need the power for HE-400's.  Really nice looks and build quality.

After a day or two of audition, I am impressed with the Lyr for the price-point, but being a long-time modder (I dont mod anymore), I wanted to see if I could make it a world-class contender using some of the left-over parts from my modding days.  I thought I would share some of the mods with the world because they do add more life, extension and better top to bottom dynamics to this little headamp.  These are not too difficult for the skilled DIYer.

PS My experience with my DAC Mod Project on the Lite DAC60, has blown me away.  I tried three different Mundorf Supreme Caps in the coupling section - each step a significant level of improvement.  And the PS and PS filtering upgrades made major improvements as well - this baby is sounding so sweet!  I'm anxious to see what the Lyr can be upgraded to for little money.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/740362/lite-dac60-pcm1704-r2r-tubed-dac-mod-project

Users who are viewing this thread

Back