Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 23, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #5,851 of 23,494
Excellent review bro.
:beerchug:
OK, since you guys have been so helpful with your tips I'd like to post a review of my JAN Sylvania 6922 tubes circa '73, that I purchased off Tube Depot a month ago. 

Why do they warrant space on the 390 pages of part 2 of the rolling thread?  Cause they're available easily, they're "fairly" inexpensive at $100 and they sound pretty good depending on your taste in music.  More to come on that.

The headphones I'm using are HE-500's which are pretty flat, accurate, and are known to be a little forward sounding.  I love them.   Playing FLAC's through my Fiio X5 DAC hooked up to my Lyr.  I'm playing some punk, some blues, and some metal while typing.

These are dark heavy tubes.  Gothic.  They mirror the decade in which they were born.  Think Deep Purple, Rush, Led Zepplin or Black Sabbath (not that I like any of them).  

They're full of bass.  Not especially punchy, not particularly fast, in a good way.  Kick drums take stage and bass guitars get their chance to shine amongst the band.  They make my HE-500's sound like their wacky HE-400 brother on the bottom end.

The mid-range is no slouch.  Guitars have a nice growl to them - distortion sounds cool, very analog.  Old Black Keys sound really good.

The most pronounced feature is how far forward they are - it's like I'm plugged into the Marshall amp.  There are no illusions what is in the left or right channel.  The band has grabbed you firmly by the shoulders and plopped you down on the stage.

So if you like these qualities.... what's the problem?  The top end is weak.  It's partly why things sound too warm at times, the highs are recessed so far that top of the mids are just lost IMO.  A shame because the cymbals are clean and vocals are warm too.  The frustration happens when you want to mellow out and put in Rush - while the band is playing just for you, Geddy is pouting in the corner afraid to shriek.

So why do I like them at all?  They're my favorite when I'm playing music with a lot of screaming or distortion.  They naturally remove sibilance and highs that just hurt at a decent volume level - everything just rolls off the top.  You're left with a tube that likes to blast guitars and drums.  If you're into that sorta thing than this tube can sing.  If you like electronic music on the side like I do, this tube is utter crud.

I reserve the right to pull this review in a heart beat when I get my 1962 Siemens CCa's and they manage to make a choir out of Converge or Pissed Jeans.

If you have a different tube reco for metal / punk, let me know!

Rob.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #5,852 of 23,494
  OK, since you guys have been so helpful with your tips I'd like to post a review of my JAN Sylvania 6922 tubes circa '73, that I purchased off Tube Depot a month ago. 

Why do they warrant space on the 390 pages of part 2 of the rolling thread?  Cause they're available easily, they're "fairly" inexpensive at $100 and they sound pretty good depending on your taste in music.  More to come on that.

The headphones I'm using are HE-500's which are pretty flat, accurate, and are known to be a little forward sounding.  I love them.   Playing FLAC's through my Fiio X5 DAC hooked up to my Lyr.  I'm playing some punk, some blues, and some metal while typing.

These are dark heavy tubes.  Gothic.  They mirror the decade in which they were born.  Think Deep Purple, Rush, Led Zepplin or Black Sabbath (not that I like any of them).  

They're full of bass.  Not especially punchy, not particularly fast, in a good way.  Kick drums take stage and bass guitars get their chance to shine amongst the band.  They make my HE-500's sound like their wacky HE-400 brother on the bottom end.

The mid-range is no slouch.  Guitars have a nice growl to them - distortion sounds cool, very analog.  Old Black Keys sound really good.

The most pronounced feature is how far forward they are - it's like I'm plugged into the Marshall amp.  There are no illusions what is in the left or right channel.  The band has grabbed you firmly by the shoulders and plopped you down on the stage.

So if you like these qualities.... what's the problem?  The top end is weak.  It's partly why things sound too warm at times, the highs are recessed so far that top of the mids are just lost IMO.  A shame because the cymbals are clean and vocals are warm too.  The frustration happens when you want to mellow out and put in Rush - while the band is playing just for you, Geddy is pouting in the corner afraid to shriek.

So why do I like them at all?  They're my favorite when I'm playing music with a lot of screaming or distortion.  They naturally remove sibilance and highs that just hurt at a decent volume level - everything just rolls off the top.  You're left with a tube that likes to blast guitars and drums.  If you're into that sorta thing than this tube can sing.  If you like electronic music on the side like I do, this tube is utter crud.

I reserve the right to pull this review in a heart beat when I get my 1962 Siemens CCa's and they manage to make a choir out of Converge or Pissed Jeans.

Rob.

Nice right up.  "Mellow out" to Rush... LOL 
biggrin.gif
  Huge Rush fan, but that's not the band I mellow out to 
wink.gif
  re: Geddy sulking in the corner, I don't think you'll have those problems with the '62 Siemens CCas.  If anything, you may experience culture shock tube-style compared to the Sylvanias.  I'll be very curious to read your impressions of the Siemens, esp. as they compare to the '73 Sylvanias.  Just be sure to give the Siemens a good 50 hours before passing judgement and comparing.  I've had Siemens that start out with some serious low-end, but all ended up leveling out into the detail kings most people think the Siemens are; at least the E88CCs/CCas (CCas being a specially tested and chosen E88CC).  Since 6922s are E88CCs, it's a fair fight 
wink.gif

Hope you dig those tubes.  As long as they're in good shape, I don't see how you couldn't dig 'em.

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #5,853 of 23,494
Glad you guys liked my review!  If only I could get my hands on better tubes to do some more... I have a decent ear, but I'm pretty new to the rolling world.  Got a limited supply, so unless you want a review of the 2015 Telefunken E88C, that's all I got.

The CCa anticipation is building up quickly.  When the woman who works for Brent Jessee mentioned they'd be Priority Express'd - tomorrow - my first thought was, "tomorrow?  It's 11AM??".  Very stoked, building a set list of what to play in what order.  Probably going to start with some Autechre and Amon Tobin where it can be off and still sound like gold, god knows what either was thinking and the instruments are always a best guess.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #5,854 of 23,494

Rob.

++1 Ovation!  Love it!  Those JAN Sly 6922 (green print - huh) were one of my very first 6922 tubes. Back 20 yrs ago while tube rolling my Connie J 16LS - which took six!  Talk about a wallet crusher!

Welcome to the reviewer's corner - would you mind helping me write something like that up for each of 17 of the best 6922 tubes???

OK tonight I will complete the 8th track in the Grand Tube Shootout.  Chick Corea and Return to Forever 'Romantic Warrior' 'Sorceress'.  Al Di Meola, Stanley Clark, Chick Corea and Lenny White - a jam fest. 

When I lay my head to pillow - I will have completed 136 tube rolls in 7 days.  Over 40 hours of tube rolling and listening.  Eight songs - one Emo-Rock, one Alt-Rock, one Classic-Rock, one Vocal, one Classical, two Jazz and one New Age. Each song rolled through the entire tube lineup in one continuous sitting, before starting with the next one.  Whoa! 

It's been truly an honor, a privilege and just a Schiit load of fun - to spent this time with the finest 6dj8 glowing glass ever made. (Well mostly - as I'm sure some would argue that I missed a favorite).

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #5,855 of 23,494

OK tonight I will complete the 8th track in the Grand Tube Shootout.  Chick Corea and Return to Forever 'Romantic Warrior' 'Sorceress'.  Al Di Meola, Stanley Clark, Chick Corea and Lenny White - a jam fest. 

When I lay my head to pillow - I will have completed 136 tube rolls in 7 days.  Over 40 hours of tube rolling and listening.  Eight songs - one Emo-Rock, one Alt-Rock, one Classic-Rock, one Vocal, one Classical, two Jazz and one New Age. Each song rolled through the entire tube lineup in one continuous sitting, before starting with the next one.  Whoa! 

It's been truly an honor, a privilege and just a Schiit load of fun - to spent this time with the finest 6dj8 glowing glass ever made. (Well mostly - as I'm sure some would argue that I missed a favorite).

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Man.... Romantic Warrior! Does that album bring back some memories!

rb2013, what a marathon! I think everyone is on the edge of their seats waiting to hear the final results of this amazing tubefest!

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #5,857 of 23,494

Rob.

+1 Great review man. Thanks! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #5,858 of 23,494

Rob.

Great review... Looking forward to reading about the 1962 CCa's.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #5,859 of 23,494

rb2013, what a marathon! I think everyone is on the edge of their seats waiting to hear the final results of this amazing tubefest!

It's going to take some time to compile all the spreadsheets and write up the review.  I'll be listing the CCa's by the weekend - still tossed on selling the Tele 188's

The Philips Miniwatt E188CC's are sold. 

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #5,860 of 23,494

Good stuff, Roberto !!! I think the whole shootout should be based on the sound of Lenny White's toms and kick. That's what I'd do !!!

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #5,861 of 23,494

Good stuff, Roberto !!! I think the whole shootout should be based on the sound of Lenny White's toms and kick. That's what I'd do !!!

He wrote the song!  His drum rolls (at 5:30 and timpani? 6:50) were pretty amazing on these tubes - how deep can a HD800 go?  Pretty damn deep!  Loved the jam between Corea on keyboard synth and Di Meola on that Les Paul.  Stanley Clarke on alembic bass thumping away - Wow.  This has to be one of my favorite jazz fusion albums and concerts - saw them live in NYC in '75 (the year of the HG!)

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #5,862 of 23,494
He wrote the song!  His drum rolls (at 5:30 and timpani? 6:50) were pretty amazing on these tubes - how deep can a HD800 go?  Pretty damn deep!  Loved the jam between Corea on keyboard synth and Di Meola on that Les Paul.  Stanley Clarke on alembic bass thumping away - Wow.  This has to be one of my favorite jazz fusion albums and concerts - saw them live in NYC in '75 (the year of the HG!)

An all-time classic. Anyone who likes it who hasn't checked out Corea's fairly recent "The Vigil" should. Marcus Gilmour on drums -
a MONSTER !!! And recorded beautifully.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #5,863 of 23,494

An all-time classic. Anyone who likes it who hasn't checked out Corea's fairly recent "The Vigil" should. Marcus Gilmour on drums -
a MONSTER !!! And recorded beautifully.

On it's way from Amazon - thanks for the heads up!  Being a drummer you must have a copy of Billy Cobham's Spectrum?

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #5,864 of 23,494
On it's way from Amazon - thanks for the heads up!  Being a drummer you must have a copy of Billy Cobham's Spectrum?

Actually I don't as Cobham has always been kinda under my radar but I'll check out HDTracts for it. Thanks. My drummer of choice for the past couple years has been Manu Katche, a French drummer who plays with an incredible amount of joy and musicality. A master of nuance. Don't know if you'd be into the music itself that his band plays...softer stuff...but if you're interested check out the cd "Neighbourhood". It may be listed under Jan Garbarek instead of Katche.

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #5,865 of 23,494
Actually I don't as Cobham has always been kinda under my radar but I'll check out HDTracts for it. Thanks. My drummer of choice for the past couple years has been Manu Katche, a French drummer who plays with an incredible amount of joy and musicality. A master of nuance. Don't know if you'd be into the music itself that his band plays...softer stuff...but if you're interested check out the cd "Neighbourhood". It may be listed under Jan Garbarek instead of Katche.

Thanks.  Cobham plays on another of my review tracks George Benson's 'White Rabbit'  Along with Earl Klugh, Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, Airto Moreira, etc.

Talk about woodwinds and brass -
  1. Phil Bodner -​
    flute, alto flute, oboe, English horn
  2. Hubert Laws - flute, alto flute, piccolo, flute solo on 1
  3. George Marge - flute, alto flute, clarinet, oboe, English horn
  4. Romeo Penque - English horn, oboe, alto flute, clarinet, bass clarinet
  5. Jane Taylor - bassoon
  6. Wayne Andre - trombone, baritone horn
  7. Jim Buffington - French horn
  8. John Frosk - trumpet, flugelhorn, solo on 1,5
  9. Alan Rubin - trumpet, flugelhorn

And that's not counting the main players!  Including vibraphone - one of the hardest instruments for a tube to get right - most are prone to excessive ringing and harsh overtones.  A few, just a few, got it right in this group!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rabbit_(George_Benson_album)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back