Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 24, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #5,866 of 23,494
Bob on The Vigil cd pay particular attention to the depth of the tom bottoms on "Portals To Forever". Will blow your head off !!! Of course the entire band is amazing.
Enjoy !!!

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #5,867 of 23,494
Bob on The Vigil cd pay particular attention to the depth of the tom bottoms on "Portals To Forever". Will blow your head off !!! Of course the entire band is amazing.
Enjoy !!!

beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #5,868 of 23,494
Ahhhh, and you just mentioned Airto!!! The first time I heard Airto on the first Return to Forever album, on the song Return to Forever, it changed my life. There was an awakening of what was possible with a drum kit. Talk about playing with joy and passion!!
Airto hears things few of us ever will.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #5,870 of 23,494
I love the thump I get from Amon Tobin on either of my HiFiMAN cans driven by the Lyr.  I'll also echo earlier posts re: buying from eBay.  It just takes some knowledge about what to look for, and what makes a good deal a good deal, vs. some insanely overpriced listings for what you can find for a third of those insane prices.  As Bob noted, you can always ask about specific listings in this thread.  Someone is bound to offer advice.

Well said sir. Thanks for the advice.

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #5,871 of 23,494
I spent the past couple hours organizing Flying Lotus and ancient Amon Tobin albums... The latter has albums from the 90's that were recorded great. Flying lotus always has some distorted instrument. I always get tricked thinking he doesn't know how to mix tracks (which he obviously does).

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #5,875 of 23,494
This massive impending tube review has created a bunch of anxiousness.  I'm excited to see it yet terrified of the "I MUST HAVE's" that it'll create.  Those days where you sneak home to beat the fiance and grab the Fedex box before she finds it, the credit card shuffle... the feeling that suddenly what you have sucks and nothing else will do except for the solid gold tubes from 1920 that project a hologram of Princess Leia on the wall... looking forward to it

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #5,876 of 23,494
  This massive impending tube review has created a bunch of anxiousness.  I'm excited to see it yet terrified of the "I MUST HAVE's" that it'll create.  Those days where you sneak home to beat the fiance and grab the Fedex box before she finds it, the credit card shuffle... the feeling that suddenly what you have sucks and nothing else will do except for the solid gold tubes from 1920 that project a hologram of Princess Leia on the wall... looking forward to it

LOL! I have the Fedex guy drop the box behind the bushes.  I won't divulge the rankings yet - but needless to say those $600/pr early 60's Siemens gray shield CCa's are pretty amazing.  Same for '60's Tele E188CC's.

In the end it's just one person's opinion, with my system - which is...let's say...untypical.

Warning - tube rolling is highly addicting.  Welcome to the machine!

PS
...that project a hologram of Princess Leia on the wall...

no these were the early 60's date codes they project Marylin Monroe on the wall...
beyersmile.png

Bro - you need to read the old thread! - you'd love 'Mr Scary'.  The old thread was full of great information and hilarious to read...miss that guy.
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #5,877 of 23,494

In the end it's just one person's opinion, with my system - which is...let's say...untypical.

yeah, your system is anything but typical.  Some day I'd love to know how / why some of you have a $300 Lyr amplifier with $1000K tubes and a $5000 DAC unit!  It tells me that the Lyr is a great little Amp, but either you like to experiment or this thing is better than I give it credit!

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #5,878 of 23,494

yeah, your system is anything but typical.  Some day I'd love to know how / why some of you have a $300 Lyr amplifier with $1000K tubes and a $5000 DAC unit!  It tells me that the Lyr is a great little Amp, but either you like to experiment or this thing is better than I give it credit!

Great question!  My DAC is even more expensive then that, just the cables hanging off the back of my Lyr are $1000...don't even get me started on the custom music server feeding them...

I learned a long time ago that it's not necessarily the price but the SQ that matters.  I trust my ears - been intensely rolling audio stuff for 25 yrs.

It does scale really well to a point...a very high point.  My next project will be to mod the Lyr in stages, to see if I can get it even higher.

Before the Lyr I had 6 or 7 really nice head amps, including a fully tweeked out and rolled out Woo WA6-SE.  With the right tubes I felt the Lyr was better - more exciting.  Especially on new alt stuff.  It has gotten rave reviews by some reviewers (6moons).

But this new HiFiMan EF1000 amp looks very promising.  The question will be price.

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #5,879 of 23,494

+1 Absolutely! The Lyr has been nothing but amazing since I got it.  I got the Lyr2 and tube rolling is, to put it mildly addictive. I have considered so many options including Woo, Primaluna, and even the great McIntosh tube amps, but for a headphone and pre-amp its very difficult to beat the value you get from the Lyr.  It actually blows the value to price ration out of the water. 

From your post I get that you don't own one yet?

Great question!  My DAC is even more expensive then that, just the cables hanging off the back of my Lyr are $1000...don't even get me started on the custom music server feeding them...

I learned a long time ago that it's not necessarily the price but the SQ that matters.  I trust my ears - been intensely rolling audio stuff for 25 yrs.

It does scale really well to a point...a very high point.  My next project will be to mod the Lyr in stages, to see if I can get it even higher.

Before the Lyr I had 6 or 7 really nice head amps, including a fully tweeked out and rolled out Woo WA6-SE.  With the right tubes I felt the Lyr was better - more exciting.  Especially on new alt stuff.  It has gotten rave reviews by some reviewers (6moons).

But this new HiFiMan EF1000 amp looks very promising.  The question will be price.

+++1 Right on brother. I totally agree that price is not an indication of quality or value. Almost every audio component I own is between 2 - 4 times more expensive than the Lyr2. But the Lyr2 has a permanent spot in my chain: right in the middle of it 
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #5,880 of 23,494

LOL! I have the Fedex guy drop the box behind the bushes.  I won't divulge the rankings yet - but needless to say those $600/pr early 60's Siemens gray shield CCa's are pretty amazing.  Same for '60's Tele E188CC's.

PS
...that project a hologram of Princess Leia on the wall...

no these were the early 60's date codes they project Marylin Monroe on the wall...
beyersmile.png

Bro - you need to read the old thread! - you'd love 'Mr Scary'.  The old thread was full of great information and hilarious to read...miss that guy.
beerchug.gif

BTW- I love that picture.......LOL, it describes how our wallets feel when they meet tube rolling to a T!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back