Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 24, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #2,731 of 23,494
  Thurston, the Teles from Upscale ARE IMHO the best Euro tubes available. Keep in mind I like detailed but smooth sound, not really an Amperex type guy. I still have my Platinum set. And even though some of us have had issues with Upscale and Kevin's attitude and alleged superior "grading"(myself included), his Teles are the real deal, NIB/NOS. Nobody has better Teles for anywhere close to his price. As regards the 6N1P's it is all about vintage and interior construction. As RB2013 has succinctly pointed out in his evaluation of the 6N23P genre, the "single wire post getter" units VS the double post getter makes a BIG difference in the sound, and the price he charges. His top of the line 75 Reflektor HG's,SWPG, (Holy Grails), go for close to 100X his price for the generic double post units. Keep in mind the generic units are still an awesome upgrade from the stock tubes. I got interested in the 6N1P's reading the post's by jamato8 in the first Lyr rolling thread. Russian tubes have an extremely variable "sound" quality based on vintage and "grade". Without spending anymore time reiterating what is available there, my 75Rocket,SWPG, super matched, gold grid, 6N1P's sound awesome. Jamato8 in his eval preferred the 60s vintage as they were made for analog vs digital, and sounded better to him. My 75s sound awesome, can't wait for my 66s. BTW, the 6N1P's require more current than the 6DJ8, and only the Lyr-1 meets this spec. Concurrently my modded T50s like a lot of current, that the 6N1P's provide, just some insight, satwilson     

Steve, If you can hands on ANY Voskhod 6n23p...I mean 76,77,78,79....Also 71 abd 74 SWGP...These tubes really have great sound, it's worth tube rolling. I really suggest get those tubes..

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #2,732 of 23,494
Had these in my cart Friday, but this weekend the price went up by $10 per tube before I could pull the trigger....
Ug

Really, the best Teles available. Look at Brent Jesse's site, or anywhere! Sorry, we at HeadFi have the best real time info available. Your Ug will turn into double Ug if/when the price goes up again, just sayin....

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #2,733 of 23,494
  Thurston, the Teles from Upscale ARE IMHO the best Euro tubes available. Keep in mind I like detailed but smooth sound, not really an Amperex type guy. I still have my Platinum set. And even though some of us have had issues with Upscale and Kevin's attitude and alleged superior "grading"(myself included), his Teles are the real deal, NIB/NOS. Nobody has better Teles for anywhere close to his price. As regards the 6N1P's it is all about vintage and interior construction. As RB2013 has succinctly pointed out in his evaluation of the 6N23P genre, the "single wire post getter" units VS the double post getter makes a BIG difference in the sound, and the price he charges. His top of the line 75 Reflektor HG's,SWPG, (Holy Grails), go for close to 100X his price for the generic double post units. Keep in mind the generic units are still an awesome upgrade from the stock tubes. I got interested in the 6N1P's reading the post's by jamato8 in the first Lyr rolling thread. Russian tubes have an extremely variable "sound" quality based on vintage and "grade". Without spending anymore time reiterating what is available there, my 75Rocket,SWPG, super matched, gold grid, 6N1P's sound awesome. Jamato8 in his eval preferred the 60s vintage as they were made for analog vs digital, and sounded better to him. My 75s sound awesome, can't wait for my 66s. BTW, the 6N1P's require more current than the 6DJ8, and only the Lyr-1 meets this spec. Concurrently my modded T50s like a lot of current, that the 6N1P's provide, just some insight, satwilson     

Yeah, Kevin of Upscale has always had attitude, king of a snotty one. Gets old but he has some good tubes. My platinum Telefunken are as microphonic as hell. I use them because I don't mind microphonic tubes, but if these "platinum' grade where in a phono section no way or in most preamps. The gold grade are not microphonic at all, so go figure and they are all supposed to be test but don't think so. 

Anyway, fun to try different tubes. I have some of the gold grid but they are in storage 5000 miles from here. Someday soon. 

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #2,734 of 23,494
  Yeah, Kevin of Upscale has always had attitude, king of a snotty one. Gets old but he has some good tubes. My platinum Telefunken are as microphonic as hell. I use them because I don't mind microphonic tubes, but if these "platinum' grade where in a phono section no way or in most preamps. The gold grade are not microphonic at all, so go figure and they are all supposed to be test but don't think so. 

Anyway, fun to try different tubes. I have some of the gold grid but they are in storage 5000 miles from here. Someday soon. 

Man, you should come to our meeting! 
wink_face.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #2,735 of 23,494
  Steve, If you can hands on ANY Voskhod 6n23p...I mean 76,77,78,79....Also 71 abd 74 SWGP...These tubes really have great sound, it's worth tube rolling. I really suggest get those tubes..

James,
I have listened to your 75 SWPG Voskhods, former RB2013 best, thank you! I can only assume based on his extensive research, the 75s are his favorites. Certainly your extensive collection deserves some attention, however as "Thurston" has so succinctly commented "so many tubes, so few brain cells" We may have different ideas of what is best?? Perhaps you should listen to my 6N1P's, respectfully, Steve  

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #2,736 of 23,494
  James,
I have listened to your 75 SWPG Voskhods, former RB2013 best, thank you! I can only assume based on his extensive research, the 75s are his favorites. Certainly your extensive collection deserves some attention, however as "Thurston" has so succinctly commented "so many tubes, so few brain cells" We may have different ideas of what is best?? Perhaps you should listen to my 6N1P's, respectfully, Steve  

Hey steve!

Bring it on!  I like to try some of those.

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #2,737 of 23,494

jamato8,
Thanks for jumping in here, sorry your plats are microphonic, yeah, Kevin is an ass. I ordered some "Gold", tested 23%/25%,balance.. His rap is "97% test "platinum". I called him on it and he said "available", unfortunately tube dealers are like used car dealers. The good, my Platinums were tested:T1-`17,000 T2-16500,(.0303%) and 2nd tube, T1-17400 T2-17000,(.0235%), CCA SPECS. Thanks for your 60s  6N1P "REC", can't wait for my 66s, Steve 

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #2,740 of 23,494
you lucky dog, must have bought rb's last pair as I'm waiting for more 74s in stock....
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #2,742 of 23,494
Plugged these in when I got home and let them warm up for a few hours.  That was a hard wait.  I'm still awake, and yes, these are some BADASS tubes.  I consider myself very lucky.  I've only taken them for a test drive and not a road trip, but these things are great so far.  First thing I noticed is that they look almost shiny new, but more important is how they sound.  Detail is excellent, and the soundstage is amazing.  The music seems like it's pulled down around you.  One time I felt like I was a GoPro stuck in the middle of the drumkit.  Can't wait to see what happens when I get some more hours on them!

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #2,743 of 23,494
  Plugged these in when I got home and let them warm up for a few hours.  That was a hard wait.  I'm still awake, and yes, these are some BADASS tubes.  I consider myself very lucky.  I've only taken them for a test drive and not a road trip, but these things are great so far.  First thing I noticed is that they look almost shiny new, but more important is how they sound.  Detail is excellent, and the soundstage is amazing.  The music seems like it's pulled down around you.  One time I felt like I was a GoPro stuck

in the middle of the drumkit.  Can't wait to see what happens when I get some more hours on them!

welcome to the club man!  You'll amazed by this Russian tubes, it's like wine.  More spend time on them, better sound you'll get.

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #2,744 of 23,494
Helloooo all! I have a Schiit Lyr 2 coming in the mail and have heard from a lot of snooping around the forums that the stock tubes leave a little to be desired. Top and bottom end is good, but midrange can sound "fuzzy"?

I currently own a pair of HE-500 and HE-560 headphones and use them with an upgraded EF-5 amp, with the stock Fullmusic tube (it's a great tube).

Anyways, I have been surfing through and the Tele's have been recommended as a good match with the HE-560, but these are around $130 each. Any recommendations on a good match for $100 to $150 for the pair? I prefer a smooth sound signature but also prefer good detail retrieval. Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #2,745 of 23,494
  Helloooo all! I have a Schiit Lyr 2 coming in the mail and have heard from a lot of snooping around the forums that the stock tubes leave a little to be desired. Top and bottom end is good, but midrange can sound "fuzzy"?

I currently own a pair of HE-500 and HE-560 headphones and use them with an upgraded EF-5 amp, with the stock Fullmusic tube (it's a great tube).

Anyways, I have been surfing through and the Tele's have been recommended as a good match with the HE-560, but these are around $130 each. Any recommendations on a good match for $100 to $150 for the pair? I prefer a smooth sound signature but also prefer good detail retrieval. Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

Go for the Russian tubes, it's not going over $150.  BUT, it's what you want.  contact rb2013, he'll lead you to right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back