Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 28, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #2,746 of 23,494
Helloooo all! I have a Schiit Lyr 2 coming in the mail and have heard from a lot of snooping around the forums that the stock tubes leave a little to be desired. Top and bottom end is good, but midrange can sound "fuzzy"?

I currently own a pair of HE-500 and HE-560 headphones and use them with an upgraded EF-5 amp, with the stock Fullmusic tube (it's a great tube).

Anyways, I have been surfing through and the Tele's have been recommended as a good match with the HE-560, but these are around $130 each. Any recommendations on a good match for $100 to $150 for the pair? I prefer a smooth sound signature but also prefer good detail retrieval. Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

I would recommend the gold lions. The gold lions sound very nice , in my lyr2, running my Alpha Dogs and the HE-400i demos.

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #2,747 of 23,494
Upscale Audio said they were raising the price as the Telefunken E88CC tubes get more scarce.

yet, maybe they aren't so scarce at all when Upscale appears willing to sell entire master packs of these tubes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telefunken-E88CC-6922-Cca-SEALED-SINCE-1966-MASTER-PACK-SOLD-one-more-avail-/301276139613

maybe us head-fiers should start our own social tube inventory/bank?
blink.gif

Aug 28, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #2,749 of 23,494
  I have finally purchased the Telefunken E88CC / 6922 from Upscale.

And tomorrow I should receive the Amperex Orange Globe 1967 and the Voskhod 6n23p's 1975.

Unless you're building your personal Glass Menagerie, I'd say you're set... at least for a while.
Enjoy 
beerchug.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2,753 of 23,494
My Orange Globes were also from mercedesman. He seems to be a very good seller.

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #2,755 of 23,494
Hi folks! Just briefly popping my head back in.

I've been very busy with a few audio projects - the #1 is a tubed DAC project. After exhaustive research on DAC chips and DAC construction, I found a killer low cost DAC, using the famed PCM1704 ( true R2R dacchip, not a Delta Sigma or Segmented design - 24 bit laser trimmed precision resistors, no opamps!), dual r core trannies, AND a dual, true 6922 output stage! Many 'tubed' dacs use a tubed stage only to buffer opamps. The dac is the Lite DAC60. Stock under $600. Well I bought one, it's been burning in and has just over 200hrs on it- with the Holy Grail 6n23p. The sound stock is awesome! This dac has been around for awhile and there are all kinds of proven mods for it. Can't wait to hear it after the mods!!! Mundorf Supreme caps, silver wiring, Hammond choke ps filtering, Blackgate 'lytics, redesign of the dacs impedence loading, etc...
G
Well I ordered the $200 in parts and just waiting for their arrival to get my soldering iron toasty and get to work...in the meantime I was reading here Satwilson's comments on the 6n1p tubes and it had me intrigued. It's getting harder and harder to find the best '70s 6n23p Voskhods and SWGP Reflektors. So after reading the posts at the beginning of the original thread, like #30 on page 2, I bought a few of the best I could find - 1974 Voskhod grays wire getter post, gold grid and the rarerest 6N1P-E '60s black plate, box anodes, gold grids.

Did a soundoff against the '75 Voskhod Rocket gray shields wire getter posts (my #3 ranked 6n23p)...and the intial results...

Edit: BTW the 6n1p is only compatible with the Lyr not the Lyr2. Another reason I wanted to try these, as I may upgrade to the Lyr2 at some point. The 6n23p is a 6922 equivilent and fine in either amp.

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #2,756 of 23,494

Well as far as the 6n1p '74s pictured above (note the difference in construction) they're unfortunately no match for the VR '75s. At least in the Lyr with my HD800/Moon Blackdragon v2 cable. The '60s box anodes are not here yet so we'll see about those. The treble on the '74 6n1p is very etchy, on some tracks painfully so (like Lorde -Tennis Court). The bass not nearly as well defined. But good soundstaging - wide and deep. It's the lack of musicality or smoothness that's the biggest negative. They also run very hot.

But in the Vahalla they may be better. I've been kicking around the idea of gettng one to roll 6n6p, as well. And mod.

But it got me reading the old thread, really entertaining! I'm up to page 339 of 583. That Mr Scarey was great! Had me laughing hard many times. Initially the 6n1p was the favorite tube, but only for the 1st few months, replaced by the GE 6BZ7s, then on from there. The legendary Siemens CCa gray plates rising quickly to the top, see page 85 post #1266 Mr Scarey's initial ranking.

Soon the amazing Lorenz Stuttgarts appeared stealing the show. Unfortunately, they are almost impossible to find. See pg 333 post #4986 for great pics of the 2 mica, gray shields, 3 mica, and shorties. Good review on the different Lorenz Stuttgarts on pg 226, post #3379, and pg 290 post #4339.

Other good stuff on the old thread Jason from Schiit commenting on the Lyr's use of BOTH of the Triode sections of each tube - hence the need for section matching and balance across tubes. Pg 336 post #5033.

This thread has been epic, with a wealth great information on the 6922 type tubes and the Lyr. Including some intriguing mods for the Lyr...my next project after the DAC? Pg258 post#3858

Cheers!

:darthsmile:

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #2,757 of 23,494

Well as far as the 6n1p '74s pictured above (note the difference in construction) they're unfortunately no match for the VR '75s. At least in the Lyr with my HD800/Moon Blackdragon v2 cable. The '60s box anodes are not here yet so we'll see about those. The treble on the '74 6n1p is very etchy, on some tracks painfully so (like Lorde -Tennis Court). The bass not nearly as well defined. But good soundstaging - wide and deep. It's the lack of musicality or smoothness that's the biggest negative. They also run very hot.

But in the Vahalla they may be better. I've been kicking around the idea of gettng one to roll 6n6p, as well. And mod.

But it got me reading the old thread, really entertaining! I'm up to page 339 of 583. That Mr Scarey was great! Had me laughing hard many times. Initially the 6n1p was the favorite tube, but only for the 1st few months, replaced by the GE 6BZ7s, then on from there. The legendary Siemens CCa gray plates rising quickly to the top, see page 85 post #1266 Mr Scarey's initial ranking.

Soon the amazing Lorenz Stuttgarts appeared stealing the show. Unfortunately, they are almost impossible to find. See pg 333 post #4986 for great pics of the 2 mica, gray shields, 3 mica, and shorties. Good review on the different Lorenz Stuttgarts on pg 226, post #3379, and pg 290 post #4339.

Other good stuff on the old thread Jason from Schiit commenting on the Lyr's use of BOTH of the Triode sections of each tube - hence the need for section matching and balance across tubes. Pg 336 post #5033.

This thread has been epic, with a wealth great information on the 6922 type tubes and the Lyr. Including some intriguing mods for the Lyr...my next project after the DAC? Pg258 post#3858

Cheers!

darthsmile.gif

RB2013, 
Great to hear from you regarding tubes etc again. I have some of the 74s on the way, also some 66s, its a small world around here. My initial impressions were with a 75/SWPG/gold grid, different year, but will probably sound pretty similar to the 74s. With my modded T50S, less detailed than your 800s, the treble was just right, I know I have some hearing loss in the high end from recent testing so this enters into my equation also. I have over 100hrs on mine now. The mids are smooth and nice, natural, accurate instrument timbre, bass right there. Beautiful wide natural soundstage. Because of the higher current and voltage draw of the 6N1P's VS 6DJ8's they have more power and headroom for transients, and YES, more heat. Even at higher volume levels they sound effortless, just cruising along. Perhaps better for cans needing extra details. I too have been back mining the old rolling thread and it's fun to see early on how a newly discovered tube becomes "the best". But also there was a lot of experimentation with what tubes worked with the Lyr, page 443 I believe. GMahler and I were talking the other day and seemed to agree that within our top five tubes, we liked them all, they were just different in their attributes. Now to check out post #3858, Pg 258, thanks, satwilson 

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #2,758 of 23,494
RB2013, 
Great to hear from you regarding tubes etc again. I have some of the 74s on the way, also some 66s, its a small world around here. My initial impressions were with a 75/SWPG/gold grid, different year, but will probably sound pretty similar to the 74s. With my modded T50S, less detailed than your 800s, the treble was just right, I know I have some hearing loss in the high end from recent testing so this enters into my equation also. I have over 100hrs on mine now. The mids are smooth and nice, natural, accurate instrument timbre, bass right there. Beautiful wide natural soundstage. Because of the higher current and voltage draw of the 6N1P's VS 6DJ8's they have more power and headroom for transients, and YES, more heat. Even at higher volume levels they sound effortless, just cruising along. Perhaps better for cans needing extra details. I too have been back mining the old rolling thread and it's fun to see early on how a newly discovered tube becomes "the best". But also there was a lot of experimentation with what tubes worked with the Lyr, page 443 I believe. GMahler and I were talking the other day and seemed to agree that within our top five tubes, we liked them all, they were just different in their attributes. Now to check out post #3858, Pg 258, thanks, satwilson 
They do have a lot of energy and gain, and I love the wide deep sound stage. I hope the 60's black plates are smoother. I''m glad to have them in the collection. Thanks for the headsup there! I thought I bought a '75, at least that's what was pictured and described but was sent '73s. Oh well. Russian ebay dealers, par for the course :rolleyes:

Yes the popularity of some tubes came and went quick. Some were shockers to me, like the Philips Jan 6922. I've had these - not too good. Of the others I had the Lorenz SEL were aweful, as were the PCC88 Seimens gray shields. But would love to hear the LorenzPCC88 Stuttgarts. Although, it seems there were alot that failed pretty quick. Of course the Seimens CCa early '60s were/are awesome.

The 6n23ps early on that were tried were the new production and cyro'd by CyroSet. I had these as well, good for new production, but nothing like the best vintage Rockets or Reflektors. Folks would occasionally mention how good they're 6n23s sounded, but never with details or differentiation, so dismissed. Did folks stumble unto '70s vintage 6n23ps without realising it?

I'm looking forward to finishing the other 100+ pages.

I'll report once the '60s black plate 6n1ps get here. I'm thinking as well, the Lyr with better coupling caps after the tubes -replacing the cheap Wima's with totl Mundorfs might change how the 6n1ps interact with the Lyr.

Happy rolling!

:atsmile:

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #2,760 of 23,494
  WB! BOB! We missed you.  Now looks like we're into 6n1p, Chasing after 6n1p HG.
anyways welcome back

beerchug.gif

One other quick thought, just pulled the 75Rocket6N1P's and rolled the 75REF6N23Ps. I always listen after 3-4hrs warm up, with the 6N1P's usually at least 8-12hrs as they are on burn in. The 75HGS really sounding super bright after 1/2 hour, getting to their HG status after an hour minimum. Hope we can all wait 3-4hrs for eval with these tubes. I realize we all understand this phenomenon with the Russian tubes and the Lyr mosfets. I had decided the 6N1P's were brighter, but the 6N23P's are super bright until 3-4hrs warmup/lyr mosfet warmup. Just sayin....using my go to Metheny CD. RB, were you using the 6N1P in your DAC or Lyr? BTW, ALL LYR TUBE ROLLERS, UPCOMING HEADFI MEET HERE IN LAWRENCE KS, CHECK THE HEADFI HOMEPAGE, AKA as the mini-pre-east-Canjam2014, just dreaming.... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back