Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 18, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #2,701 of 23,494

Pick a song you know and love, and can listen to repeatedly.  Maybe focus on a specific part or two.  Burn it into your brain.  Try not to lose focus.  Turn off and unplug your Lyr.  Wait a few minutes (no more than five, I'd say), roll the new tubes... lather, rinse, repeat (as it is necessary).

The only other thing I can think to add is to warm up both pairs for 20-30 minutes, since tubes like to be warm.  So, warm up a pair, pull 'em, warm up the other pair, listen to those, pull 'em, then roll the first pair, give 'em five minutes, then complete the comparison.  Try not to listen to whatever's playing while the tubes are warming up.  Focus on whatever song.

That may seem a tad unnecessary.  I'm just trying to think about how to get the most accurate comparison.  A lot of it will be in your head, but then that's where the music ends up 
wink.gif
  It's completely subjective.

Thurston How'z your 560?  any impression?

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #2,702 of 23,494
  Thurston How'z your 560?  any impression?

Love 'em!  So comfortable, and the sound is fantastic.  Very detailed, great separation, fantastic bass (I'm not a basshead), and its soundstage and imaging are better than the HE-500s, which are lacking in depth.  I can't wait to get back to listening to them.  Since last Wed. I've been burning in my HE-500s (replacement pair), using some tubes I needed to put some hours on: Super Cryo-treated 1983 Reflectors, which really hit their stride after 100 hours or so.  I didn't like them at first, but saw this opportunity to give them a proper burn-in.  Now putting some hours on a pair of 1964 Tesla E88CCs.  They're fine tubes, too.

Thus far, with the HE-560s, I've used my '58/'59 D-getter Bugle Boys and... I'd have to check my text file to see what the other pair was.  LOL.  So many tubes, so few brain cells :wink:

Later this week I hope to do some comparisons between the HE-500s and HE-560s using various tubes, the E88CC Telefunkens in particular.  If it seems worthwhile from a Lyr tube rolling POV, I'll post some comments.

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #2,703 of 23,494

Pick a song you know and love, and can listen to repeatedly.  Maybe focus on a specific part or two.  Burn it into your brain.  Try not to lose focus.  Turn off and unplug your Lyr.  Wait a few minutes (no more than five, I'd say), roll the new tubes... lather, rinse, repeat (as it is necessary).

The only other thing I can think to add is to warm up both pairs for 20-30 minutes, since tubes like to be warm.  So, warm up a pair, pull 'em, warm up the other pair, listen to those, pull 'em, then roll the first pair, give 'em five minutes, then complete the comparison.  Try not to listen to whatever's playing while the tubes are warming up.  Focus on whatever song.

That may seem a tad unnecessary.  I'm just trying to think about how to get the most accurate comparison.  A lot of it will be in your head, but then that's where the music ends up 
wink.gif
  It's completely subjective.

Thank you ThurstonX. Ill give it a try.

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #2,704 of 23,494

Love 'em!  So comfortable, and the sound is fantastic.  Very detailed, great separation, fantastic bass (I'm not a basshead), and its soundstage and imaging are better than the HE-500s, which are lacking in depth.  I can't wait to get back to listening to them.  Since last Wed. I've been burning in my HE-500s (replacement pair), using some tubes I needed to put some hours on: Super Cryo-treated 1983 Reflectors, which really hit their stride after 100 hours or so.  I didn't like them at first, but saw this opportunity to give them a proper burn-in.  Now putting some hours on a pair of 1964 Tesla E88CCs.  They're fine tubes, too.

Thus far, with the HE-560s, I've used my '58/'59 D-getter Bugle Boys and... I'd have to check my text file to see what the other pair was.  LOL.  So many tubes, so few brain cells :wink:

Later this week I hope to do some comparisons between the HE-500s and HE-560s using various tubes, the E88CC Telefunkens in particular.  If it seems worthwhile from a Lyr tube rolling POV, I'll post some comments.

I can't wait for your comparisions between HE500 and HE560.  Maybe, that'll be next target for me too. Anyways, Thanks for your short impression.  I wish you're living close to my house so I can stop by and  Have some listening session.

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #2,705 of 23,494
  I can't wait for your comparisions between HE500 and HE560.  Maybe, that'll be next target for me too. Anyways, Thanks for your short impression.  I wish you're living close to my house so I can stop by and  Have some listening session.

I gather you didn't know about the touring pairs HiFiMAN sent out.  Pity, as that would have been a golden opportunity to hear them.  You could look into shops that have loaner programs (kinda like renting them), or buy them from head-direct.com, which has a 30-day return policy.  I think all you'd pay is shipping (both ways).  I don't recall seeing mention of a restocking fee.  Just a couple ideas.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #2,706 of 23,494

I gather you didn't know about the touring pairs HiFiMAN sent out.  Pity, as that would have been a golden opportunity to hear them.  You could look into shops that have loaner programs (kinda like renting them), or buy them from head-direct.com, which has a 30-day return policy.  I think all you'd pay is shipping (both ways).  I don't recall seeing mention of a restocking fee.  Just a couple ideas.

Yeah, I didn't know.  I would look into Cable co.  They loaning the headphone program.

Thanks for your ideas!

beerchug.gif

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #2,707 of 23,494
Received my '79s Voskhods and breaking them in. They are quieter than my GEC 6BZ7s, but sound fine. No noise or other oddities.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to compare tubes. I suspect there is a guide, but I would love suggestions or direction to a guide. Last few google hunts regarding tubes resulted in a couple hours filtering through the google crud.

Thank you.

I've said this before. I've got several pieces of tube gear. The fact there are only 2 matched tubes make it much easier than one of my integrated amps.

As your ears listen to a set of tubes, your mind becomes used to them and unless they are really bad, you need to break them in to get accustomed to a set.

They way I compare tubes is to get at least 50 hours on them. That gives you time to get accustomed to the sound. After the 50 hours, put the other set of tubes in. It works best when both have been broken in. When you put the second pair in you'll notice right away what the differences are. The first pair will probably sound best unless there is something specific you are listening for. To be fair, I usually repeat the process again with the second pair first.

It may seem time consuming. But just listening to a couple of songs before the tubes are fully broken in will be different then listening to them after break in. I like to have a set of tubes that I use as my reference pair. I've got a nice set of Telefunken that I use as my reference. I let the new tubes break in for 59 hours or so then replace them with my reference set. You'll know right away what the difference is between the tubes.

This might sound excessive, but you need to give a set of tubes time to break in before you compare them. I haven't run across a set yet that sounds the same out if the box vs broken in. Some tubes take even more time.

Before you start running out and buying tubes, take some time to read about the different tubes on Brent Jesses web site. That will give you a good indication of the differences between different tubes. He helped me out a lot when I was setting up my last integrated amp. Not only do you have to determine how a pair sounds, you have to know how the other tubes interact with each other. It can be a long painful process. I bought most of the tubes from him. You can find then cheaper on eBay, but that can be a crapshoot at times.

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #2,708 of 23,494
I've said this before. I've got several pieces of tube gear. The fact there are only 2 matched tubes make it much easier than one of my integrated amps.

As your ears listen to a set of tubes, your mind becomes used to them and unless they are really bad, you need to break them in to get accustomed to a set.

They way I compare tubes is to get at least 50 hours on them. That gives you time to get accustomed to the sound. After the 50 hours, put the other set of tubes in. It works best when both have been broken in. When you put the second pair in you'll notice right away what the differences are. The first pair will probably sound best unless there is something specific you are listening for. To be fair, I usually repeat the process again with the second pair first.

It may seem time consuming. But just listening to a couple of songs before the tubes are fully broken in will be different then listening to them after break in. I like to have a set of tubes that I use as my reference pair. I've got a nice set of Telefunken that I use as my reference. I let the new tubes break in for 59 hours or so then replace them with my reference set. You'll know right away what the difference is between the tubes.

This might sound excessive, but you need to give a set of tubes time to break in before you compare them. I haven't run across a set yet that sounds the same out if the box vs broken in. Some tubes take even more time.

Before you start running out and buying tubes, take some time to read about the different tubes on Brent Jesses web site. That will give you a good indication of the differences between different tubes. He helped me out a lot when I was setting up my last integrated amp. Not only do you have to determine how a pair sounds, you have to know how the other tubes interact with each other. It can be a long painful process. I bought most of the tubes from him. You can find then cheaper on eBay, but that can be a crapshoot at times.

Wow! OK. Just checked out his web site. Very nice.

Yeah, I came to the realization that it is going to take time which is not a bad thing, right? How many pairs of tubes do I really want to buy or own anyway?

:)

Thank you!

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #2,710 of 23,494
I recently upgraded to a Schiit Lyr and HE-500. I'm trying to figure out the best tubes to roll in first. I listen mostly to rock (Counting Crows, Bob Schneider, Genesis, etc...). I love the clarity of the system with the stock tubes, but I feel I'm missing some of the warmth my past tubes amps have offered. The vocals just don't sound as smooth as before. 

From my research, I'm thinking of investing in the Telefunken E288CC's. But on eBay I do notice more Siemenns E288CC. Are these comparable? And does anyone have any other suggestions on tubes? Thanks in advance.  

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #2,711 of 23,494
  I recently upgraded to a Schiit Lyr and HE-500. I'm trying to figure out the best tubes to roll in first. I listen mostly to rock (Counting Crows, Bob Schneider, Genesis, etc...). I love the clarity of the system with the stock tubes, but I feel I'm missing some of the warmth my past tubes amps have offered. The vocals just don't sound as smooth as before. 

From my research, I'm thinking of investing in the Telefunken E288CC's. But on eBay I do notice more Siemenns E288CC. Are these comparable? And does anyone have any other suggestions on tubes? Thanks in advance.  

I would not choose the E288CC's for your Lyr as they are spec'd for a significantly higher filament current than the ECC88's or equivalent (475ma vs 300ma). They will not work at all in the Lyr 2 and will work but not well according to Jason who should know.

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #2,713 of 23,494
  I would not choose the E288CC's for your Lyr as they are spec'd for a significantly higher filament current than the ECC88's or equivalent (475ma vs 300ma). They will not work at all in the Lyr 2 and will work but not well according to Jason who should know.

I'm recently purchased a new Lyr (not the Lyr 2) and I just purchased these tubes... will I be ok with them in the Lyr? 
Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281412730153?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #2,714 of 23,494
Any suggestions for good tubes then?
[/quote
I would try a pair of Gold lions if on a budget. If you can afford it get a pair of telefunken E88CC tubes. I am planning to get the telefunken E88CC within the next two weeks. Please have fun rolling.]

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #2,715 of 23,494

Look forward to reading your impressions, are both the 500's and 560's modified the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back