Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 22, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #23,266 of 23,494
My Liquid platinum beats my Gilmore lite MK2 in micro detail and everything else.
Good one! I was going to suggest the LP as well, when it comes to hybrids that amp has as much detail as the DAC being used can serve up.

Jun 22, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #23,267 of 23,494
I got some new tubes and new headphones.
So i spent the weekending going through my tubes and here is a updated tube list.
Chain: PC (Qobuz) - usb -> Schiit Yggdrasil (A2/Unison) - > XLR -> Schiit Mjolnir 2 -> XLR -> Meze Empyrean

(first, I'm not blown away by the empyrean.. which confuses me as people LOVE them. They a good. I do feel trap vs the HD800s (and still like my speakers better.) :) That said, (other than smaller sound stage) I do like them more than the HD800s. )

I don't have the super fancy tubes (they cost to much)
1. Tungsram PCC88 (march 1971 - Hungary) - Tubemonger
2. Genalex Gold Lion 6922 - new (maybe i like these the best? i feel like i have to like a NOS better? right? :p )
3. Matsushita / National PCC88 / 7DJ8 - Upscale Audio
4. Tesla E88CC 6922 Military Gold Pin Early-Mid 1970s Tubemonger
5. Tesla E88CC / 6922 Steel Pin 1970s Czechoslovakia - TubeDepot
6. JJ 6922 / E88CC / 6DJ8 / ECC88 new
7: mj2 stock.. whatever this is

No socket-savers used. Use a latex glove, those give you ez a good grip to pull out the tubes.

(i'd love to try a high quality Amperex 6DJ8 or a Telefuken..)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #23,268 of 23,494
I got some new tubes and new headphones.
So i spent the weekending going through my tubes and here is a updated tube list.
Chain: PC (Qobuz) - usb -> Schiit Yggdrasil (A2/Unison) - > XLR -> Schiit Mjolnir 2 -> XLR -> Meze Empyrean

(first, I'm not blown away by the empyrean.. which confuses me as people LOVE them. They a good. I do feel trap vs the HD800s (and still like my speakers better.) :) That said, (other than smaller sound stage) I do like them more than the HD800s. )

I don't have the super fancy tubes (they cost to much)
1. Tungsram PCC88 (march 1971 - Hungary) - Tubemonger
2. Genalex Gold Lion 6922 - new (maybe i like these the best? i feel like i have to like a NOS better? right? :p )
3. Matsushita / National PCC88 / 7DJ8 - Upscale Audio
4. Tesla E88CC 6922 Military Gold Pin Early-Mid 1970s Tubemonger
5. Tesla E88CC / 6922 Steel Pin 1970s Czechoslovakia - TubeDepot
6. JJ 6922 / E88CC / 6DJ8 / ECC88 new
7: mj2 stock.. whatever this is

No socket-savers used. Use a latex glove, those give you ez a good grip to pull out the tubes.

(i'd love to try a high quality Amperex 6DJ8 or a Telefuken..)
I agree on the Gold Lion, but if those are working well, I would suggest Reflektor 74, 75.... my experience (different gear) is these are similarly linear as the Genelex, but can add a bit of space with a good pair.

Jun 23, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #23,269 of 23,494
I just want this to end :frowning2:
Siemens E88CC 6922 incoming
Brand New, MINT NOS NIB 1974 Siemens E88CC 6922 A-Frame Gold Pin Same Metal Stamp Date Code A6 4E. All tubes from the same tube 100 piece tube box. Munich Production. Made in Germany. Other than the 1960s Siemens, these are some of the very best E88CC type from Siemens. And more desirable than 1980s E88CC/E188CC/CCa Label thin halo getter without splatter shield type.

*You will also see the same tube with CCa designation from the same production with same or similar date codes. Also, somewhere after 1972, label style changed from Siemens & Halske to plain Siemens.

I did find the tubes that work for me for the freya+ (which are the CBS Hytron 5692 / 6SN7) - i really like those.
Hey, at least the Mj2 only needs 2 tubes. :p

Jun 23, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #23,270 of 23,494
I just want this to end :frowning2:
Siemens E88CC 6922 incoming

I did find the tubes that work for me for the freya+ (which are the CBS Hytron 5692 / 6SN7) - i really like those.
Hey, at least the Mj2 only needs 2 tubes. :p

I really hate to ruin your evening, but unfortunately this never ends. There is no known cure, and the only permanently effective treatment for it is death. But try to look on the bright side....at least you're not spending all that money on crack. :) :)

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #23,272 of 23,494
I really hate to ruin your evening, but unfortunately this never ends. There is no known cure, and the only permanently effective treatment for it is death. But try to look on the bright side....at least you're not spending all that money on crack. :) :)

I dunno. Booze and drugs worked OK for Charlie Sheen - at least for a while.:smile:

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #23,273 of 23,494
Ok, i'm not loving my meze empyrean - which everyone seems to wow over. My guess is everyone just likes pointless extra bass? *shrug* :) Other than unneeded bass, something seems off in the mind range. I keep checking my cables to see if something is wrong. :frowning2:

sooo (@TK16 close your eyes!) i put in the Telsa gold pin military tubes in (early 70s) and i think i like it better?? maybe? other stuff seems off now. :D I don't know about this headphones for me. What are people finding good fits between the mj2 + tube (??) + meze empyrean?

(i also just ordered the Focal Utopia too. Why do i feel like i'm heading for something like the DNA Stellaris or a primaluna :p )
I love detail. Maybe i'm not chill enough for the empy?

update: oh no. these are painful. Let me try something else. Back to the Japanese.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #23,274 of 23,494
Yes I am. I would say it is hard to put a number on it, but I know for a fact that the ZMF Pendant, Glenn OTL, and ALO Audio Studio Six tube amps to name a few, can hang with any solid state out there for micro detail.
how does the ZMF Pendant Compare to the Alo Audio Studio Six amp ? they seem quite similar i believe the studio six has better bass all around ? how do they compare in soundstage ?

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #23,278 of 23,494
Are the Gold Lion 6922s really good? I can't find a consensus on these. Are they made in Russia? I didn't see an affordable source anywhere, can't buy from outside EU generally although no problems for us to buy from Ukraine or Russia.

Jun 28, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #23,279 of 23,494
Are the Gold Lion 6922s really good? I can't find a consensus on these. Are they made in Russia? I didn't see an affordable source anywhere, can't buy from outside EU generally although no problems for us to buy from Ukraine or Russia.

yes, they are a good solid tube. The best newly made one i've used. You'll be happy with them (but i personally don't use them.) That said, russians will sell everything as long as it works. high or low quality. Get it from a place that tests it. What are you putting it in? Lyr? mj2?
What headphones?
my adventure in rolling was hard when i was matching for the hd800s. The tubes that i really wanted cost a ton (so didn't get them) and everything seemed bright (but, then that is the hd800s)
With the emy with pushed bass and soupy mids, the bright tubes weren't as bad. I have a utopia coming and that will want something closer to the HD800s needs.

Jun 28, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #23,280 of 23,494
yes, they are a good solid tube. The best newly made one i've used. You'll be happy with them (but i personally don't use them.) That said, russians will sell everything as long as it works. high or low quality. Get it from a place that tests it. What are you putting it in? Lyr? mj2?
What headphones?
my adventure in rolling was hard when i was matching for the hd800s. The tubes that i really wanted cost a ton (so didn't get them) and everything seemed bright (but, then that is the hd800s)
With the emy with pushed bass and soupy mids, the bright tubes weren't as bad. I have a utopia coming and that will want something closer to the HD800s needs.

Thanks. I was trying a new set of old Teslas recommended here in a Lyr 2 but I got stuck away from home and didn't even have time to listen to them for an hour.

Specifically for the 6922s I was thinking about for my Valhalla 2. I have HD 600s and 800s. Did not intend to run either of those out of a Lyr. The Lyr is driving a pair of LCD-3F

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back