1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by joydivisi0n, Jul 23, 2013.
Tags:
  1. Ripper2860
    Yes, but only because I covet them so much that I rarely listen to them for fear I'll wear them out. They are like an exotic sports car driven only on the most special of occasions. :p

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Wes S likes this.
  2. nwavesailor
    Thanks, TK16. I haven't found these Brimar's yet, but if you say they can be had for $100 then I'll keep lookin! :money_mouth:

I will finally be rolling 12AU7 in the LP tonight:relieved: including the 1958 Mullard square getter!

Let the games begin..........................

TK16, Ripper2860 and jb77 like this.
  3. TK16
    Those Blackburn square getter sound terrible in the LP, I would Not even bother trying them. Send them to me so I can properly dispose of those junkers.

Ripper2860 likes this.
  4. Ripper2860
    Maybe it's time for another amp. Seems TK poo-poos all of the top tubes in LP. Can't be the tubes, so it must be the amp, right?

TK16 likes this.
  5. Wes S
    Brimar 56' ECC82 Square Getter > Mullard 57' ECC82 Blackburn Square Getter, with my Aeolus.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  6. nwavesailor
    Yup, TK almost had me bail on buying those square getter Blackburn Mullards because they were 1958...........and his were '57!

TK16 likes this.
  7. nwavesailor
    TK16 and Ripper2860 like this.
  8. Wes S
    Has to be the amp, as it is one of the best measuring and sounding hybrids, available. :wink:

I would go with a little brighter tube, in that amp. For instance, a Brimar. :o2smile:

Ripper2860 likes this.
  9. Wes S
    I would like to elaborate on this.

Brimar vs. Mullard - both ECC82 Square Getter

The Brimar is a bit more forward and cleaner in the mids. Voices seem to sound more real with the Brimar, but guitars sound better with the Mullard. The Brimar has better extension up top and bottom, with the top end perfect and never harsh. The Brimar has less bloom in the midbass than the Mullard, and the bass is tighter and deeper as a result. So, overall I prefer the Brimar, for multiple genres of music. However, with some acoustic stuff, like Rodrigo y Gabriela, the Mullard is stunning and takes the lead. In the end they are both killer tubes, but the Brimar is staying in there, for a good while. Now, I need to find a backup Brimar. :o2smile:

Both tubes still need a bit more burn in, but I don't see much changing.

Happy Rolling!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    TK16 likes this.
  10. TK16
    Sounds like you are hinting at returning the Brimar?

11. Ripper2860
    More like returning TO Brimar! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Wes S likes this.
  12. Wes S
    Not a chance! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ripper2860 likes this.
  13. Wes S
    You got that right! 5:00 pm, needs to hurry up and get here! I am having Brimar withdrawals.

Ripper2860 likes this.
  14. Wes S
    Looks like I am a Brimar fan. I have Brimar tubes, in all 3 amps, and could not be happier. There is just something about them, that really works well for me. The lifelike tonality of the vocals, plays a big part.

15. TK16
    Same seller I bought noisy 74 Reflektor 6N23P years ago, highly recommended seller! Absolutely nothing could go wrong with this transaction. Decent price as well.