Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 11, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #18,676 of 23,494
I already contacted him. Waiting on a response. Thanx for the advice bro. There's some money to make here but it could take FOREVER to sell all of these even selling cheap.

Aug 11, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #18,677 of 23,494
I already contacted him. Waiting on a response. Thanx for the advice bro. There's some money to make here but it could take FOREVER to sell all of these even selling cheap.
That tester I mentioned does not test for Gm to match pairs up. If you want to sell matched pairs I would get a different tester. It checks for emissions, gas and shorts.

Aug 12, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #18,678 of 23,494
I’m truly thinking about buying all 4 lots if someone else didn’t jump on it already. We have a huge meet coming up in a month and they'd probably arrive right before. I’m sure I can find someone who has tester.
If you figure a typical 10 mins per tube to test for gm, shorts, and gas, box, and label, you’re looking at 17+ hours to test 100 tubes, plus then the time it takes to match them all up afterwards.

If you’re labeling 100 tubes, get yourself a handheld label printer, and plenty of label tape cartridges.

You’ll also need blank tube boxes if they’re not boxed already. Around 14 cents each (plus shipping) if you buy 100.
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/tube-box-fits-12ax7-6dj8-12au7-12at7

If you’re selling them in pairs to people, you want to get a thermal shipping label printer ($100 to $200) and a stamps.com account ($15 a month) because handwriting 50 shipping labels ain’t a job anyone wants to do.

Unless you’re sending them flat rate, you’ll also need a lot of adequate size boxes, tape, and bubble wrap (surprisingly expensive), and time. Don’t subject anyone to packing peanuts. I curse the buyer every time I tear open a package and the fkrs fly everywhere.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #18,679 of 23,494
If you figure a typical 10 mins per tube to test for gm, shorts, and gas, box, and label, you’re looking at 17+ hours to test 100 tubes, plus then the time it takes to match them all up afterwards.

If you’re labeling 100 tubes, get yourself a handheld label printer, and plenty of label tape cartridges.

You’ll also need blank tube boxes if they’re not boxed already. Around 14 cents each (plus shipping) if you buy 100.

If you’re selling them in pairs to people, you want to get a thermal shipping label printer ($100 to $200) and a stamps.com account ($15 a month) because handwriting 50 shipping labels ain’t a job anyone wants to do.

Unless you’re sending them flat rate, you’ll also need a lot of adequate size boxes, tape, and bubble wrap (surprisingly expensive), and time. Don’t subject anyone to packing peanuts. I curse the buyer every time I tear open a package and the fkrs fly everywhere.
Testing all my 6922 variants for shorts, gas and Gm, testing everything with the 21 bias as on the chart. Do not think I got the patience to be a seller like you. Really cool to see what the tubes actually test at instead of just relying on ebay test numbers.

Aug 12, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #18,680 of 23,494

I believe after your thorough and “come to Jesus” post, I’m not touching this with a 10 foot pole. Too much investment and especially time to make a few dollars. I also can't afford all the peanuts "us" Fkrs use. I’ll just live precariously through you AC. :)
I have no idea where you find that kinda time with your career and all. You da man!

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #18,681 of 23,494
I believe after your thorough and “come to Jesus” post, I’m not touching this with a 10 foot pole. Too much investment and especially time to make a few dollars. I also can't afford all the peanuts "us" Fkrs use. I’ll just live precariously through you AC. :)
I have no idea where you find that kinda time with your career and all. You da man!
Hah, yeah, it's a terrible business plan, I just see it as a hobby that helps pay for my addiction/obsession.

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #18,682 of 23,494
Double D getter Tesla 56 6CC41 finally came in after 5 weeks, cool seller he refund me $10 on the tubes and is refunding me the $9 shipping for being patient.
On my 59 Tesla 6CC41 after 300 hours, the top of the getter flash right under the tip fell off and is sitting near the wires inside that are coming out the pins. Does the getter flash in that area dangerous? Not keen on trying it again TBH. Both sets test good and matched.
These are the 56`s.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-TESLA-6...te-DD-Getter-Coin-Base-Very-Rare/332580726563

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #18,683 of 23,494
Double D getter Tesla 56 6CC41 finally came in after 5 weeks, cool seller he refund me $10 on the tubes and is refunding me the $9 shipping for being patient.
On my 59 Tesla 6CC41 after 300 hours, the top of the getter flash right under the tip fell off and is sitting near the wires inside that are coming out the pins. Does the getter flash in that area dangerous? Not keen on trying it again TBH. Both sets test good and matched.
These are the 56`s.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-TESLA-6...te-DD-Getter-Coin-Base-Very-Rare/332580726563
As long as it's not shorting any wires or anything together, you should be fine. Just put it in the amp/dac before turning it on so you can make sure you didn't move it to be shorting anything together.
It will likely eventually burn off if it's resting on a part that gets hot.

Aug 15, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #18,684 of 23,494
I continue to be blown away by some of the 12at7/12au7 variants I've been trying. Most notably, Telefunken 1950s ECC81 (angled getter), Telefunken ECC801s, Valvo 6201, and 1950s Heerlen pinched waist D getter 7062.

That said, all the ones I've tried mostly blow all the E88CC/E188CC and 5670 types I have and have tried out of the water bar a very select few. So aside from keeping an eye out for special rarities, or complete and utter crazy bargains, I can comfortably say I'm done with E88CC and 5670 types. There, I said it :)

Others worth a hearty recommendation include Tung-Sol 5814A, 1950s Tung-Sol 12at7wa, and 1950s clear top side getter RCA 12au7 (incredible tube for $25 a pair!!).

To put it as briefly as I can - take the soundstage size and separation of the Ken-Rad 6c8g and combine it with all the magic of the Foton 3x.

There are others I tried that I wasn't so fond of the sound signature, but if anyone wants to PM me with their sig preferences, or post on here, I'd be happy to recommend which ones I think would suit you best, and give you a few ebay links to ones that are good value.

edit: this is all on a Schiit Mjolnir 2, using 12at7 to 6922 adapters. Same goes for Lyr 1 and 2 (Lyr 1 can use even more variants due to having a higher heater current limit).

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #18,685 of 23,494
Back home and catching up after a week traveling. Missed my Lyr 2 a lot, I have to say. I'm still loving these 1963 Blackburn Mullards. Strings are just incredibly luscious through them. Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta is beyond words with the HE-560s. I know everyone has moved beyond 6DJ8 but I really think these are keepers.

In the mailbag, we have a pair of Tung-Sol 12AU7 on AC's recommendation but the adapters are still sitting in Hong Kong several weeks later. Even slower than the 396A adapters. Also a pair of NOS Tesla 1958 D getter 6CC41 from capt. Luke that will probably be the next targets for burn in unless something more interesting shows up.

While I wait for the adapters, may as well get a pair of those cheap RCA side getters 12AU7 organ pulls that AC is raving about.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #18,686 of 23,494
I came to this thread, I see a new tube type is emerging, I ordered the adapters, started looking for tubes and then I realized I'm perfectly happy with what I have :D
I put in the Foton 3Mica from AC last week (I've had them sitting in the box they came in for like months), I like them haven't done any critical listening, still enjoying my favs of the 6922 family as usual, but I am using the Fotons for a while to give them some burn-in and see how they do later on.

Maybe I would jump into the 12at7/12au7 thing later on but seeing as the tubes are not very cheap (not like the 5670 for sure) I'm hesitant as of now.

Daily drivers: At work in the Lyr 2 Mullard Mitcham late 50s/early 60s milky ring on top
At home in the MJ2 -> Rotating between Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88 2mica 50s, Telefunken E88CC Fat ring gold rods late 50s, Rarely Eindhoven E88CC 1955/1956, Mullard Mitchams as above

Edit: Forgot to mention the prices I looked at were mostly in Europe, I see that the US has better deals but they are just not worth it for me with 20% added and customs hassle in my stupid country :)

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #18,687 of 23,494
Just one guy’s opinion and a worthless rant

So...firstly, AC is the man. He's a madman and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible. If I need a tube for a specific sound for a good price from a trustworthy seller (including himself) he's the guy I go to. We have great members on this thread that know a lot who's guided me directly/indirectly since I've been in this hobby, but AC knows his Schiit and he's been my go to guy.

With that said, I couldn't agree more with @kolkoo. I'm very satisfied with what I have and I have a lot. Even my cheap $20 set of GE's sound really good but others are obviously better. But by how much? Maybe my ears are just garbage now and I just can't pull out every little intricacy of sound and differences from set to set. The Foton 3X micas and just about every 6C8G I own sound excellent and most definitely steps ahead of everything else I own. Maybe I should put 1 tube of each at the same time in the MJ2 and have the best of both worlds. :dt880smile: If I never bought another tube in my life, Id be satisfied with what I currently have and die a happy audio-head (not phile) man. But man...... you need VERY deep pockets to continue going down this rabbit hole. There'll always be a new discovery with this "new tube" for this or that amp which is better than what the new hot potato tube is currently.

I read a very interesting post in the HD650 thread by @castleofargh the moderator of the Sound Science Forum Moderator thread and it hit the head on the nail IMO. Every day, if I move the headphone a certain way on my head, even if it's ever so slightly, it changes the sound dramatically. It's like rolling in a new tube at times. I believe this is in the same vein with rolling in new tubes. What headphone you have, what tube and amp, yadda, yadda , yadda.

Do you guys REALLY hear that "huge" of a difference between all these different variants? I most certainly hear differences, but not to the extent where it's a revelation in sound.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, before I really start dropping more money on tubes, adapters and such, I need to make sure my gear is in order, tubes are fully burned in, headphones placed on my head correctly while matching with the music I'm listening too.

I'll eventually go down the hole again and test drive the different variants AC suggested because I trust him and I am an addict. I really want to hear these tubes that are so highly recommended by AC that he'll basically not listen to the E88CC/E188CC and 5670 variants anymore except for a select few. But I need to sell off a whole hellava lot of tubes before I start digging a new hole where there's already a field full of them. Plus I trust AC a LOT, but first and foremost, I trust my ears more then anything or anyone else....even if it's a $20 set of tubes. :ksc75smile:

Also, maybe we need to change the title of this thread to LYR2 and MJ2 tube rollers seeing how many of us and others we don't even know about that still has a LYR2?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #18,688 of 23,494
I came to this thread, I see a new tube type is emerging, I ordered the adapters, started looking for tubes and then I realized I'm perfectly happy with what I have :D
I put in the Foton 3Mica from AC last week (I've had them sitting in the box they came in for like months), I like them haven't done any critical listening, still enjoying my favs of the 6922 family as usual, but I am using the Fotons for a while to give them some burn-in and see how they do later on.

Maybe I would jump into the 12at7/12au7 thing later on but seeing as the tubes are not very cheap (not like the 5670 for sure) I'm hesitant as of now.

Daily drivers: At work in the Lyr 2 Mullard Mitcham late 50s/early 60s milky ring on top
At home in the MJ2 -> Rotating between Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88 2mica 50s, Telefunken E88CC Fat ring gold rods late 50s, Rarely Eindhoven E88CC 1955/1956, Mullard Mitchams as above

Edit: Forgot to mention the prices I looked at were mostly in Europe, I see that the US has better deals but they are just not worth it for me with 20% added and customs hassle in my stupid country :)
I certainly didn't mean that all 6922 et all suddenly suck, far from it. I'm just finding the other types (at the moment) are better value, as most of them are much cheaper than their 6922 equivalents - pinched waist d getter heerlen for less than $100 for example. Prices for the same in the 6922 type have got way out of hand.

The improvements aren't huge, but they're there, and for a fraction of the cost of some of the best 6922 types.

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #18,689 of 23,494
As long as it's not shorting any wires or anything together, you should be fine. Just put it in the amp/dac before turning it on so you can make sure you didn't move it to be shorting anything together.
It will likely eventually burn off if it's resting on a part that gets hot.
Being able to see the tube glow looking down the flute is not a problem either? That's where the getter flash came off.
Think I'll chuck that pair in the Lyr 2 to see if the getter flash disappears.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #18,690 of 23,494
Koover,

I agree with you. I recently purchased a Benchmark HPA4 headphone amp, not because I haven't been happy with the MJ2 but because I wanted to find a more robust solution to drive my headphones and bookshelf speakers. I've been going back and forth between this solid state amp and the MJ2 using what I feel are the best tubes (WE396A, Triple Mica, RCA) and I can hardly tell much of a difference. Because of this I will most likley be selling my MJ2 and tubes at some point. Love the amp, great sound quality but if I can get a similar sound from a non-tube amp and having a built in pre-amp with it to control the headphones and speakers/sub at the same time it makes more sense for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back