Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 15, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #18,691 of 23,493
Back home and catching up after a week traveling. Missed my Lyr 2 a lot, I have to say. I'm still loving these 1963 Blackburn Mullards. Strings are just incredibly luscious through them. Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta is beyond words with the HE-560s. I know everyone has moved beyond 6DJ8 but I really think these are keepers.

In the mailbag, we have a pair of Tung-Sol 12AU7 on AC's recommendation but the adapters are still sitting in Hong Kong several weeks later. Even slower than the 396A adapters. Also a pair of NOS Tesla 1958 D getter 6CC41 from capt. Luke that will probably be the next targets for burn in unless something more interesting shows up.

While I wait for the adapters, may as well get a pair of those cheap RCA side getters 12AU7 organ pulls that AC is raving about.
Here are the RCA clear tops I got a few pairs of.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SWEET-RCA-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #18,692 of 23,493
Just one guy’s opinion and a worthless rant

So...firstly, AC is the man. He's a madman and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible. If I need a tube for a specific sound for a good price from a trustworthy seller (including himself) he's the guy I go to. We have great members on this thread that know a lot who's guided me directly/indirectly since I've been in this hobby, but AC knows his Schiit and he's been my go to guy.

With that said, I couldn't agree more with @kolkoo. I'm very satisfied with what I have and I have a lot. Even my cheap $20 set of GE's sound really good but others are obviously better. But by how much? Maybe my ears are just garbage now and I just can't pull out every little intricacy of sound and differences from set to set. The Foton 3X micas and just about every 6C8G I own sound excellent and most definitely steps ahead of everything else I own. Maybe I should put 1 tube of each at the same time in the MJ2 and have the best of both worlds. :dt880smile: If I never bought another tube in my life, Id be satisfied with what I currently have and die a happy audio-head (not phile) man. But man...... you need VERY deep pockets to continue going down this rabbit hole. There'll always be a new discovery with this "new tube" for this or that amp which is better than what the new hot potato tube is currently.

I read a very interesting post in the HD650 thread by @castleofargh the moderator of the Sound Science Forum Moderator thread and it hit the head on the nail IMO. Every day, if I move the headphone a certain way on my head, even if it's ever so slightly, it changes the sound dramatically. It's like rolling in a new tube at times. I believe this is in the same vein with rolling in new tubes. What headphone you have, what tube and amp, yadda, yadda , yadda.

Do you guys REALLY hear that "huge" of a difference between all these different variants? I most certainly hear differences, but not to the extent where it's a revelation in sound.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, before I really start dropping more money on tubes, adapters and such, I need to make sure my gear is in order, tubes are fully burned in, headphones placed on my head correctly while matching with the music I'm listening too.

I'll eventually go down the hole again and test drive the different variants AC suggested because I trust him and I am an addict. I really want to hear these tubes that are so highly recommended by AC that he'll basically not listen to the E88CC/E188CC and 5670 variants anymore except for a select few. But I need to sell off a whole hellava lot of tubes before I start digging a new hole where there's already a field full of them. Plus I trust AC a LOT, but first and foremost, I trust my ears more then anything or anyone else....even if it's a $20 set of tubes. :ksc75smile:

Also, maybe we need to change the title of this thread to LYR2 and MJ2 tube rollers seeing how many of us and others we don't even know about that still has a LYR2?
I'll still listen to all the great 6922/5670 types I have, I just meant I'm done buying them. I'd rather spend the money on the other types.

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #18,693 of 23,493
Hey it’s all good boys. I don’t know about you all but as much as I may like my current “HG” among my various tube types, when I switch one pair out for one of my other old favorites, I’m always reminded of why I loved that pair in the first place. It’s just subtleties and fine tuning. Thanks to all who have explored the various avenues to musical nirvana. Vive la difference !!!

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #18,694 of 23,493
Oops. What I posted, to me, is just my random thoughts. Hell, I WANT to try these new variants but just can’t afford it anymore unless I sell off a bunch of current sets.

I’ve been experimenting a LOT with different ear positions with all my headphones. I always just wore them straight on and be done with it. Now? Just a slight little movement in position can change the sound more then any tube I ever rolled. Doing this while rolling my current tubes is like listening to a lot of my music for the first time all over again. Kinda stupid but it’s pretty startling at times how the sound changes.

I know what you meant AC. I know you’ll still jam out to some of the old standards. You just like to explore and see what else is out there then report your findings and opinion. It’s all good bro! I know I’ll go down that hole again, just not for a while.

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #18,695 of 23,493
Oops. What I posted, to me, is just my random thoughts. Hell, I WANT to try these new variants but just can’t afford it anymore unless I sell off a bunch of current sets.

I’ve been experimenting a LOT with different ear positions with all my headphones. I always just wore them straight on and be done with it. Now? Just a slight little movement in position can change the sound more then any tube I ever rolled. Doing this while rolling my current tubes is like listening to a lot of my music for the first time all over again. Kinda stupid but it’s pretty startling at times how the sound changes.

I know what you meant AC. I know you’ll still jam out to some of the old standards. You just like to explore and see what else is out there then report your findings and opinion. It’s all good bro! I know I’ll go down that hole again, just not for a while.

Case in point as to the “old standards”...those 7L4 Herleen red Valvo D-Getters I got from Ivan way back when. Sublime.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #18,696 of 23,493
Case in point as to the “old standards”...those 7L4 Herleen red Valvo D-Getters I got from you way back when. Sublime.
Only got 12 pair of 6922 variants left and 2 pair are those 7L4 Heerlen D-getters.

Had a bad SS from my last pair from Tube Monger and they are sending a replacement free of charge, no mention of having to send the bad 1 back. Great customer service there.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #18,697 of 23,493

Love those tubes. Way better than the chrome-dome version, and better to my ears than a big percentage of the other 12AU7's out there. The Amperex 7316's are even mo' better, but at a much steeper price and the difference isn't substantial enough to warrant the current price differences....IMO.

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #18,698 of 23,493
I certainly didn't mean that all 6922 et all suddenly suck, far from it. I'm just finding the other types (at the moment) are better value, as most of them are much cheaper than their 6922 equivalents - pinched waist d getter heerlen for less than $100 for example. Prices for the same in the 6922 type have got way out of hand.

The improvements aren't huge, but they're there, and for a fraction of the cost of some of the best 6922 types.

Oh yeah value wise 6922 are the worst guaranteed :D

I just meant that once I was out of the game somehow it's difficult for me to get back in - maybe I've lost that adventurous vibe.

Edit: That being said I might try a pair of ECC81s :D

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #18,699 of 23,493
Oh yeah value wise 6922 are the worst guaranteed :D

I just meant that once I was out of the game somehow it's difficult for me to get back in - maybe I've lost that adventurous vibe.

Edit: That being said I might try a pair of ECC81s :D
I hear you. I definitely have several "What have I done" moments, but it did pay off this time.

The Telefunken ECC81 are well worth grabbing, but try and get the 50s angled getter ones, as to my ears they sound as good as the ECC801s which cost an awful lot more. There are some silly prices on fleabay, but if you hold out and keep an eye out, you should be able to find a decent pair for $75 or less.

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #18,700 of 23,493
Aug 16, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #18,701 of 23,493
Still have the stock tubes on my Lyr 2, any recommandation to start with without the need of an adapter and without spending hundreds :ksc75smile:?

I'm in Switzerland so might be a good idea to start with some Voskhod that are easier to find here, maybe one of these two?

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/6N23P-E88CC...521600?hash=item4d56d8a9c0:g:1yoAAOSwbCpZdlms

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Matched-pai...545704?hash=item3f87d0c4e8:g:ZDUAAOSwc-tY5hyN

Thank's guys, I'm a bit lost with all these offers :wink:
The Voskhods are pretty decent, but you can honestly get better for less.

Here's a decent pair that are better than the Vokhods for less money:

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/ECC88-6DJ8-...021823?hash=item3b188de0ff:g:mGUAAOSwlsda63n5

If you can stretch to the price, these are incredible tubes for the price (this is a really good price for them, most sellers are twice that price):

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Matched-Pai...512941?hash=item1a32af836d:g:xj0AAOSwcp1ZjN0X

There are also PCC88s (7 volt version of ECC88, which run fine at 6v in the Lyr 2).

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/MATCHED-PAI...036007?hash=item33eff35de7:g:jeAAAOSwlulbUer1

These are also good - both these and the above Philips and Valvo are Heerlen factory produced (slanted delta sign on the date code):

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/2x-PCC88-Ph...879434?hash=item2f1ee6688a:g:nygAAOSwP4lbWYy3

These are a lot more, but they're incredible tubes, and quite rare:

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/2x-PCC88-E8...367226?hash=item33f0a0447a:g:KVwAAOSwhCBbXe9N

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #18,705 of 23,493
From my limited time with a tester and the limited Russian 6N3P`s I got from AC and ebay untested, these along with LM E`s are the highest testing tubes for Gm 396A, 2C51, 5670. Don`t think I got the patience to test all those tubes TBH. Those 58 Ref 6N3P you got from the same seller as me test strong.

TK, found something you might be interested in. May want to trim down that spring on S5 first though. :laughing::kissing_smiling_eyes::stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-Pc-Lo...m=283103745573&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

tubes.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back