Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 26, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #16,156 of 23,494
You may very well had these 5670 tubes before I pushed them, but you weren’t making people aware of them in any way. I first mentioned them on May 9th and then on May 17th. No one tried them. I started really pushing you guys to try them on June 9th (post #12928). The thread was kind of dying back then. People starting trying the 5670 tubes and the thread took off again.

I'm sorry but you are a sick sick man.

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #16,160 of 23,494
I see this this thread hasn't changed much :)

It’s a great thread. I learned a lot from my first GE 5* tube roll all the way up to high end 6922 tubes.

The guys here provide great feedback and make sure to answer any questions you have. They don’t deride your choices but do give you a gentle push in the right direction. There may be a few strong opinions from Head-Fiers on certain tubes but luckily we have several different knowledgeable sources to pull from.

They post deals on tubes or start you off with very well priced tubes to get you going. I got 4 Siemens E88CCs and 4 Mullards for $125 from someone here.

I received some free Russian tubes. I’m willing to give back to any new Head-Fier starting their tube journey as well. So yeah, definitely a great thread.

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #16,161 of 23,494
I see this this thread hasn't changed much :)
That’s not correct and I say that with all due respect. This is an isolated incident from a single poster. This has been one of the coolest, friendliest threads I’ve been part of since I subscribed. Don’t let one person sway your opinion about all these fine people here.

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #16,162 of 23,494
Initial impression on WE (National electric labeled) 396a/2c51, it has a wide soundstage. Mid...it's not great as TS 2c51 but I can live with this WE's mid that gives me. When I listened to Sibelius tonight, WE gave me the instrument separation.
This tube does not tad warmth like Telefunken e188c, TO ME, it's pretty close the Siemens CCa gray plate. This tube signature is not like Amperex tubes.

I need to let the tube cooks for awhile and we'll see. But I like it so far! It's the pretty darn exciting tube I say!

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #16,163 of 23,494
So, i got a pair of tung sol's 2c51 and 4 pairs of 6N3P-E Reflektors a couple of days ago. Both were titled as NOS. For the tung sol's im not really sure if thats true, because they look used (pins). The reflektors (look and package) defently seem to be NOS.
Atm i'm listening a lot of acoustic music. A lot of times there is one instrument and one voice, so the sound characteristic is one-sided and what i'm looking for is the feeling like i would sit in the audience.
First, i tried the tung sols. I got them a burn-in for 2 days straight. for my taste, soundstage wise they sound a bit narrow. This feeling got stronger when i changed to the reflektors. The "live-feeling" got stronger. But to be honest and this is just my opinion:at this moment i would choose the LISST "Tubes" from shiit over the two other tubes. Maybe this changes after the burn-in of the reflektors and probably the whole thing would be different with other headphones (i have hd 650).

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #16,164 of 23,494
Give those Reflekors 200 hours of burn in that is how long each of my 3 pairs took to sound their best. That is way more than the around 100 hours it took for my other tubes. I was on the fence on my first pair of Reflektor`s until I hit that 200 hr mark.

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #16,165 of 23,494
Good morning fellas. As you know I've been looking for an upgrade to my Schiit MJ2 ( my first love ) that I untimely sold in late December. It was a rash decision; thinking I would sell it and upgrade to another amp. Being so new I had nonidea that not many high end amps take those same 6922 / ECC88 / E88CC / 2C51 / 396A variant. Not sure what inwas thinking but I honestly did think that these beautiful tubes that we roll in the Lyr2 / MJ2 would be commonplace for my next upgrade.

When I couldn't find an amp ( and that uses the same tubes ) to replace the MJ2 I felt pretty dumb that I gave up some thing so great. The MJ2 paired with the dac section in my R2R 11 sounded so great I couldn't ask for more. It gave me that WOW feeling every time I sat down and dedicated my time to this hobby. I often thought, " how could it get better than this? ". I was now listening to the same music I've listened to for years but all the while hearing it for the first time. The pleasure, detail and separation this combo brought to life was so great that I was ready to buy another MJ2 and call it a day, but I persistent in looking for my next love. The one to call my baby for the undisclosed amount of time. The one I turn to for relief after a long day. The one I miss while away and cannot wait to get back to.

I now present to you my 2nd love ( and definitely not the last ). My partner in crime. My main squeeze. My Woo!

1mJFpjQ_d.jpg 381ED36F-D020-4EAD-B755-B105A00A5A53.jpeg 2E1D3A38-8189-4F8C-973F-3ED3B80C5070.jpeg 6EcCNV6_d.jpg

Jan 27, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #16,166 of 23,494
Jan 27, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #16,168 of 23,494
Looks like a LOT of those tubes from that seller got heavy use on them because of the lack of getter flash on them. Soundwise I never heard past 1953 myself. Mine are all dated 1947-1953.

Cool, thank you for the heads up!

Jan 27, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #16,169 of 23,494
Except for the whole HOLY GRAIL!!! angle... and I do mean angle :wink:

You have to admit it was great branding. I bought a couple sets of the "HG's" before his tube review for $69.00 and $79.00 for each pair. After the tube review those same sets were going for over $200.00 both here in the Head-fi classifieds and on ebay. For around the $75.00 a pair I paid for the "HG's" I found them to be pretty good tubes. Bob always made sure they were well matched without noise. I also have some of the lesser Russians he was selling most I paid less than $50.00. I still have most of the sets I bought and enjoy rolling through them on occasion.

I have noticed over the years I have been on this thread and having read the most of the old one that we can have quite an effect on the price of tubes depending on what tube kick we happen to be on at the time is I think is kind of impressive.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #16,170 of 23,494
I should never have pushed you guys to try the 5670 tubes. I would have more options and lower prices. Thank you for the life lesson.
I have noticed the price of some genuine siemens cca's have come down - so there's always an upside....for some of us

i wished the gec 6as7g tubes would get bagged for us wa2 owners so they could come down from $600 a pair too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back