Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 26, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #16,141 of 23,494
Lot of common sense here, good to read.
Most of the tubes discussed here are top quality tubes. They all have a lot to offer, sometimes, many times, they vary by only subtle differences. So I would think if you can hear and appreciate the presentation of one, you would also be able to hear and appreciate the others also. Sure, you usually have a preference for one, or two, above the others. However, It seems the more tubes I listen to, the more tubes I like, and there are so many available.
Also I think it's always good to ask about the gear, or check the profile. Headphones, especially, can limit what you hear from a tube. You may hear differences from tube to tube, yet never hear some of the finer qualities of a particular tube that others hear with different headphones. And the same applies to amps and DACs. Additionally, if we continue to grow and experience new music, performance venues, recording styles, then we are also likely to form new criteria for appreciating any particular tube. I enjoy having a wide selection of tubes to choose from.

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #16,142 of 23,494
Fellas going to put up some 2C51/5670 sets for sale if anybody is interested. Will put them in my sig tonight. Too many tubes again!
Edit: all the tubes were bought as matched pairs and all exhibit no noise or microphonics on a MJ2 and Lite Dac 68.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #16,144 of 23,494
Lot of common sense here, good to read.
Most of the tubes discussed here are top quality tubes. They all have a lot to offer, sometimes, many times, they vary by only subtle differences. So I would think if you can hear and appreciate the presentation of one, you would also be able to hear and appreciate the others also. Sure, you usually have a preference for one, or two, above the others. However, It seems the more tubes I listen to, the more tubes I like, and there are so many available.
Also I think it's always good to ask about the gear, or check the profile. Headphones, especially, can limit what you hear from a tube. You may hear differences from tube to tube, yet never hear some of the finer qualities of a particular tube that others hear with different headphones. And the same applies to amps and DACs. Additionally, if we continue to grow and experience new music, performance venues, recording styles, then we are also likely to form new criteria for appreciating any particular tube. I enjoy having a wide selection of tubes to choose from.

Thank you very much for the reminder.

Jan 26, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #16,145 of 23,494
It reminds me of Bob back in the old days when he was in a snit.

Except with some though, it is every post, every time.

And it does get old...
Except for the whole HOLY GRAIL!!! angle... and I do mean angle :wink:

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #16,146 of 23,494
I should never have pushed you guys to try the 5670 tubes. I would have more options and lower prices. Thank you for the life lesson.
LMAO. You certainly did not push me. But I would like to give a proper shout out to my pal @rnros :beerchug: and not just for the 5670s/6N3Ps.

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #16,149 of 23,494
LMAO. You certainly did not push me. But I would like to give a proper shout out to my pal @rnros :beerchug: and not just for the 5670s/6N3Ps.

You may very well had these 5670 tubes before I pushed them, but you weren’t making people aware of them in any way. I first mentioned them on May 9th and then on May 17th. No one tried them. I started really pushing you guys to try them on June 9th (post #12928). The thread was kind of dying back then. People starting trying the 5670 tubes and the thread took off again.

Jan 26, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #16,155 of 23,494
Is it Western Electric you got there?

Yes sure. It's just national electric labeled..

For sale is very strong (NOS values) Matched Pair of Western Electric 396A/2C51 tubes. These were labeled for National Electronics. They are clearly Western Electric Tubes based on their internal construction. Western Electric had very distinct plates and getter supports. WE square getter tubes have Black getter supports instead of the typical steel getter supports. Additionally, the had the smooth plates like Bendix without the crimp in middle of plates. The bottoms of the bottles are also very squarish as well. It’s always neat to understand and identify tubes based on their construction versus what printed on the glass envelope. Many companies rebranded, and you can often find great tubes with lesser names hiding in plain sight.

These were NIB, but I’ve tested them in my amp to check for noise and microphonics. The print is very good. The boxes are OK. Not bad but not very good. Please see pictures for condition. These tubes have been tested in my amp to check for noise and microphonics. They're excellent in both regards. These tubes have black plates and square getters.

These tubes have been tested for GM on my Hickok TV-3/BU tester. The nominal NOS tube on this tester is 4,200, and a minimum value for use is 3,300.

This has also been tested for shorts and leaks, and they passed both these tests.

The score on these tube are:

4200/4500 and 4400/4700 on Hickock

These tubes are balanced within 7% and matched within 11%. Excellent!

These tubes will come packaged in their original boxes.

Thank you for looking. Please check out my other listings.

A few words about when you agree to purchase an item by clicking the buy it now. I test all tubes multiple times in my amp and testers. No matter how good testing is done with tube testers, this will never replace in socket testing. This is why I test then in an audio application before selling them. This is not to say that it will work the same your amp though. There may be rare cases that something that is not ideal gets through. If this happens, please reach out to me and we can work something out. It is my pleasure to offer the best tubes I possibly can. I want you happy with your purchase. Tubes are sold as is though as they have been thoroughly tested, and I can't support tube rollers. Additionally, these are vintage items that no matter how well packaged may not travel well. Again, feel free to contact me if something goes amiss. I'm quite reasonable and sometimes things just happen. If you have questions about some general characteristics of how a tube sounds, let me know and I will try to help. However, know that my ears and my equipment are more than likely different from yours. Also, know that just because some tubes are priced higher doesn't always mean they are better.

I will re-list items if not paid within 48 hours unless you message me first and get my approval for some other agreement. It's not fair to others that can pay right now for items or for me to lose time from having the item listed.

I truly appreciate your understanding in these things. I hope that this makes it better for both parties involved as you know what I expect from you as a buyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back