Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Nov 18, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #15,001 of 23,494
59s?! How do they sound?

I prefer the early 70s ones I have compared to the later ones I have. Not a huge difference, but they do seem to have a bit more of the character that I like.
My recollection - months old now - is that the "good" pair was really good. I preferred them to the '79s, which weren't bad at all. I don't want to tell tales out of school, as it was so long ago. My advice: if you ever come across a pair (or more; more are generally better where Russian tubes and Russian/Ukrainian sellers are concerned) for a reasonable price, do not hesitate, esp. now that others herein will be looking :wink:

I hope you like those Ken-Rad 6C8Gs. They are real purrty, and they sound damn fine, too.

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #15,002 of 23,494
I've had the Ken-Rad 6CG8s that you recommended sat on my desk for a week, and have been impatiently waiting for the adapters to arrive. All I can do for now is admire how huge they are, and how new they look for something that is 74 years old! I'm really excited to try them when the adapters arrive.

They are nice looking tubes, true NOS. I think I already told you I paid $75/pair last year, at $35/pair that's an incredible value. This batch that came from the Canadian Forces can't last that long, there is only one seller remaining, last year three (or 4?) sellers were offering these.
Do your burn quickly, if you like them, you can grab a backup pair. : ) They do need 60-80 hours to reach full potential. Big difference.

Nov 19, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #15,003 of 23,494
I like the KISS principle: no opinion before 100 hours. Unless they're hard-headed Marsha! Marsha!! Marsha!!! tubes (that'd be Russian for you non-hipsters; and so, 200 hours), if they're not fully baked after 100 hours, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Speaking of, I've got an hour and a half on my mouse-eared Tung-Sol 6SN7GTs, and I'm very hopefully. It's usually that way when rolling 6SN7s after pretty much anything else. The head space (sound stage) is always noticeably larger, and some recordings love to fill that space. On the mega-shuffle during the first few minutes came "The Spiderbite Song" from The Flaming Lips' The Soft Bulletin (a bit of childlike brilliance). It was like hearing it for the first time. It just expanded into the space as if it'd been bottled up for a thousand years. And now the dulcet tones of McDonald and Giles are doing the same. DAMN I love these tubes. Pity only the Lyr 1 can run them from the Schiity stable of HPAs. I'll buy their 4-tube preamp that runs them, if I'm ever in the market (I hear my wife laughing).

So, put down the brown acid, pour a little of that liquid amber (Macallan 12 from the sherry casks here), and explode into (the head) space.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #15,004 of 23,494
They are nice looking tubes, true NOS. I think I already told you I paid $75/pair last year, at $35/pair that's an incredible value. This batch that came from the Canadian Forces can't last that long, there is only one seller remaining, last year three (or 4?) sellers were offering these.
Do your burn quickly, if you like them, you can grab a backup pair. : ) They do need 60-80 hours to reach full potential. Big difference.

Yeah, I'm itching to try them, and if all is well, which I'm expecting, I'll definitely be buying another pair or two. They already went up a few bucks since I bought them, but are still really cheap.

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #15,005 of 23,494
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #15,007 of 23,494
Nov 21, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #15,008 of 23,494
:darthsmile: Question is - is that woman included?

ED0539C6-C4BF-4AC8-B599-5954F139A98B.jpeg

Nov 21, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #15,010 of 23,494
WE 396As arrived today and I found a nice surprise. Instead of the four that I ordered I received five. No complaints coming from me. :)

WE 396A.jpg

Nov 21, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #15,012 of 23,494
Throw them in the amp bro, want some impressions.

They're baking as we speak. Tested them and one of them is slightly microphonic but it doesn't pick up noise from my headphone cable. Going to DeoxIT them all tomorrow and see if there's any improvement from the pair that's currently in the amp.

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #15,013 of 23,494
Gotta silly question. Is everyone in this thread retired or sneaking peaks at work? I almost feel like I’m the old dude in the crowd. Me on the other hand, sneak peaks.

Nov 21, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #15,015 of 23,494
They're baking as we speak. Tested them and one of them is slightly microphonic but it doesn't pick up noise from my headphone cable. Going to DeoxIT them all tomorrow and see if there's any improvement from the pair that's currently in the amp.
These will help with microphonics a bit and you can put 1 pair on all your tubes. Herbies Tube Dampers. sorry for thee big picture.
http://herbiesaudiolab.net/preamp.htm
Ultrasonic SS9 $30 a pair.
7777777.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back