Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Nov 18, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #14,986 of 23,494
I'm hoping these things finally get noticed and get popular....I'm sat on over 100 of 6n3p variants from 69, through to 79.....My two favorites are nickel pin Reflektors 1970 6n3p-I Quad Mica, gold grid, dual wire getters (received a batch, all like new condition), and a batch of 1973 unbranded export nickel pin 6n3p dual wire getter. Most of the ones I have are all pretty decent, but these two batches just seem to stand above the rest in terms of soundstage and detail. They're beating almost all of my other tubes as my favorites at the moment.

Yes, there is a difference in sound between the 6N3P and the 6N3P-E/I/DR. The 6N3P is the same simplified plate and mica design as the USA 5670/2C51 group, and IMO, sound closer to the USA group.

The 6N3P-E/I/DR use an older 'box plate with support rods' design, additional mica plates, and vibration dampers. There is a difference in SQ, preference will depend on the individual.

That said, and as much as I enjoy the RFL 6N3P-E, the 6C8G group offers a more significant SQ improvement.

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #14,987 of 23,494
97 hours in and I'm forced into a confession: I'm happily colluding with my 1983 Reflektor 6N3P-Es (thanks again, Bob!). I hereby disavow all tubes from the Capitalist Pigs.... HAHAHAHAHA!! j/k. You'll pry the Glass Menagerie out of my cold, dead hands. Seriously though, you 2C51, et al., freaks who haven't tried good, solid Marsha! Marsha! Marsha! 6N3P-Es need to at least wade into the kiddie pool. I'll be waiting in the deep end with my 1959s :D

Nice sound indeed, but as Sammy said, bittersweet when thinking about the $$$ spent on the 6922 group.
But easy to forget the bitter and enjoy the sweet. : ) Glad you are enjoying the tubes.

1959!? Where did you find them? (Never mind, I don't want to know.) (Forget I asked.) (We never had this conversation.)

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #14,988 of 23,494
These?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lot-of-10-6N3P-I-Analog-of-6CC42-6385-5670-2C51-/222708708629?

They're the ones that came like new, and are the ones I'm loving. Just put 80 hours on a pair from 1970 (I got three years in my batch - 70 - 72), and they really opened up after the 60 hour mark, it was almost like a switch was flicked.
Those are the ones, and it was your impressions that made me put them in my Watchlist and finally, drunkenly pull the trigger :) I have those '59s (3 of the 4 seem solid; $15 shipped; haven't seen any that old since), a '79 and the currently running '83s. I wanted some from the early '70s, and if I have to buy 10, fine by me at that price.

I'm going to listen to the '83s a bit more today (now past 100 hours), but I'm itchin' to roll the mouse ear Tung-Sol 6SN7 GTs I got yesterday. I think because they're branded Dumont and Emerson I got them for relatively cheap. One has a hairline crack in the base, but my other cracked 6SN7 GTs are fine. It's good to know the codes, as the seller did, since he ID'd them as TS, but maybe others didn't believe it, understand it, or just want TS labeled "Tung-Sol." Haven't seen many of the mouse ear types, and the last pair went for $100+, IIRC.

:beerchug:

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #14,989 of 23,494
No need to speculate, both the Ukraine and Russia provide detailed tracking information on their Postal websites. Search for the official Postal website, find the 'English' option, enter your tracking number, and you will have detailed station to station tracking from acceptance to international departure. When it reaches international departure, USPS is notified and you can pick up tracking on the USPS website.

EBay can only provide the tracking number when it is registered automatically through their shipping process, or when it is provided separately by the seller. Never had an inconsistency with eBay's tracking reports, a time lag yes, but not inconsistency. With a two week delay, if that is the case, I would look to a stock issue. But you can easily find out by just asking the seller. And you can also check the Postal website for the acceptance date.

This is a good international tracking site: https://www.17track.net/en

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #14,990 of 23,494
Nice sound indeed, but as Sammy said, bittersweet when thinking about the $$$ spent on the 6922 group.
But easy to forget the bitter and enjoy the sweet. : ) Glad you are enjoying the tubes.

1959!? Where did you find them? (Never mind, I don't want to know.) (Forget I asked.) (We never had this conversation.)
I try not to think about that $$$. They're mine.... MINE!!! I say! ... until I finally decide to sell them. Hopefully I'll recover a bit of what I spent.

The '59s came up in one of those finger-cramp-inducing eBay searches not long after we PM'd about 6N3Ps. They were $5 (can't recall if I bid on them or just bought them) + $10 for shipping. Just pure luck I stumbled across them. Probably mission impossible now, but ya never know.

This message will self-destruct in five seconds... if Rangy used the right tape.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #14,993 of 23,494
Wow. 10k threshold. Cheers my friends!

1K. I told you not to start drinking so early, Sammy. Think of your Feline Army. They need a sober leader :wink:

Nov 18, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #14,995 of 23,494
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ya got me bro.

I’m concerned about Sammy. I got a PM from him yesterday that I want to share a portion of with you...

Billy,
Meow, meow, meowmeow, meeeeeow, meow, meowwww....
This went on for 3 pages. What Sammy??

Nov 18, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #14,996 of 23,494
Those 6c8gs do seem to love the he560 or vv. Not quite like 6sn7s live the vibro but mos def the same game. Adds a little wetness to the sound. A very welcome attribute to my ears.
Prophet is right, 6c8 g work in the 2nd series of schiit. I’ve used them in my dac as well. But put the ts magic beans back in there. Better to my ears in that application. Jury still out on the preference in the lyr. Save the gtb - vibro combo. Awesome.

Nov 18, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #14,997 of 23,494
#2 tells me you're headed down the Rabbit Hole in a schiitfire fury. Enjoy the ride :wink: :)

Nothing wrong with most of your tubes, and as you say, you need to make that call yourself, so I'll just say this: sell most of those "cans" and get yourself some real transducers. I know it's nearly verboten! in this hallowed thread, but the cans (i.e., transducers) are going to make the biggest difference. Your amps are good, too (said the man with a Lyr 1 and... ???). That said, no way in hell I'm going to tell you what cans to buy. I'm pretty much a planar magnetic man, though I've never splashed serious cash on high-end dynamics. Probably some day, but no day soon. I don't want to knock your Hifiman 400i as I've never heard them, but I've read enough comparisons to feel confident they're not going to touch my HE-5LE, HE-500 and HE-560.

My 5-min. $0.02

I asked for it and I got it. Agree wholeheartedly on the He 400i as they’re my weak link in the entire chain. But I got them in a straight up for my refurbished
Sony MDR-1A. Good deal on my end now that it’s all said and done.
I’ve never heard the HE 500 or 560 and especially the HE 5LE but even not knowing, I know they’ll blow away the 400i. If I lose any HP at all, it will be that. The others, no way,
Luv um all. They each serve a purpose and it’s a blast to roll different tubes with different drivers. Plus they’re all great HP’s. I got my TTOL driver and an ex TTOL , while the rest are solid midfi’s.
The reason I asked to be critiqued is
My wife is ALL over me with my all of a sudden rash of tube hoarding so I’m going to need to purge some glass and probably won’t have enough headtime to give them their due justice. You guys are indirectly helping me decide. :metal:

Thanks to everyone else for chiming in.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #14,998 of 23,494
Somebody needs to buy that WE JW quad in the second link in my previous post. My TA or tubaholics anonymous sponsor stopped taking my calls. You don't think calling him 10 times a day is excessive do you guys? Maybe collecting cats will help? Sammy??

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #14,999 of 23,494
Yes, there is a difference in sound between the 6N3P and the 6N3P-E/I/DR. The 6N3P is the same simplified plate and mica design as the USA 5670/2C51 group, and IMO, sound closer to the USA group.

The 6N3P-E/I/DR use an older 'box plate with support rods' design, additional mica plates, and vibration dampers. There is a difference in SQ, preference will depend on the individual.

That said, and as much as I enjoy the RFL 6N3P-E, the 6C8G group offers a more significant SQ improvement.

I've had the Ken-Rad 6CG8s that you recommended sat on my desk for a week, and have been impatiently waiting for the adapters to arrive. All I can do for now is admire how huge they are, and how new they look for something that is 74 years old! I'm really excited to try them when the adapters arrive.

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #15,000 of 23,494
Those are the ones, and it was your impressions that made me put them in my Watchlist and finally, drunkenly pull the trigger :) I have those '59s (3 of the 4 seem solid; $15 shipped; haven't seen any that old since), a '79 and the currently running '83s. I wanted some from the early '70s, and if I have to buy 10, fine by me at that price.

I'm going to listen to the '83s a bit more today (now past 100 hours), but I'm itchin' to roll the mouse ear Tung-Sol 6SN7 GTs I got yesterday. I think because they're branded Dumont and Emerson I got them for relatively cheap. One has a hairline crack in the base, but my other cracked 6SN7 GTs are fine. It's good to know the codes, as the seller did, since he ID'd them as TS, but maybe others didn't believe it, understand it, or just want TS labeled "Tung-Sol." Haven't seen many of the mouse ear types, and the last pair went for $100+, IIRC.

59s?! How do they sound?

I prefer the early 70s ones I have compared to the later ones I have. Not a huge difference, but they do seem to have a bit more of the character that I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back