Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #8,536 of 8,735
Quote:
Nice!   Looking great!  What are you planning for casework?

Figured maple sides and walnut  posts with a silicon bronze top and rear panel.
It should (better) be ready monday, in time for next saturday's L.A. meet.

Here is my Build Thread.
Lots of pictures.

Jul 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #8,537 of 8,735
Quote:
could you link the original post of which oranges specifically you bought?

Sure. I got em' from this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-ORANGE-GLOBE-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1960s-70s-MATCHED-PAIR-SWEET-NOS-/221229410098?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:CA:3160 

One of you actually posted this link here, and I was lurking around for a matched pair of tubes. Was able to put in my order when there was 4 available. Forgot who it was that posted this link, but whoever it was, cheers.

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #8,539 of 8,735
So my new Upscale Telefunkens seem to have an echo problem when they get hot. Because of this and the badly bent pins I am asking for a return or if they don't have tubes without the u2108604f serial a credit to get another type.

Anyone have any experiences with their service?

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #8,540 of 8,735
Quote:
So my new Upscale Telefunkens seem to have an echo problem when they get hot. Because of this and the badly bent pins I am asking for a return or if they don't have tubes without the u2108604f serial a credit to get another type.

Anyone have any experiences with their service?

mine don't have that problem. albeit the bent pins and GOLD scratched off, I really don't care enough to return them. If they can accept a part refund request that would be nice..how do you plan to contact them through?

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #8,541 of 8,735
Quote:
Sure. I got em' from this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-ORANGE-GLOBE-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1960s-70s-MATCHED-PAIR-SWEET-NOS-/221229410098?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:CA:3160 

One of you actually posted this link here, and I was lurking around for a matched pair of tubes. Was able to put in my order when there was 4 available. Forgot who it was that posted this link, but whoever it was, cheers.

O getters huh..I bought three pairs of A frames from him..

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #8,542 of 8,735
mine don't have that problem. albeit the bent pins and GOLD scratched off, I really don't care enough to return them. If they can accept a part refund request that would be nice..how do you plan to contact them through?

Through the message system in their web site. I guess if I don't get a response in a few days I may call them.

Jul 14, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #8,543 of 8,735
Quote:
Through the message system in their web site. I guess if I don't get a response in a few days I may call them.

i messaged them 5 days ago with a shipping query as i was interested in buying those same tele's. Heard nothing so far. !

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #8,544 of 8,735
Quote:

Sha...weet !
cool.gif

The little knob by the 300b tube adjusted the damping factor from 0dB, 4dB, 6dB.  I believe through the use of feedback (I believe global).  Does the design of your amp use feedback - it may not be necessary as a headphone amp.  The ATM-300b sounded best with 0dB.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #8,545 of 8,735
Very nice, I really like the design and case plans.

I haven't had a ton of time for DIY lately, but I've been leaning towards building a balanced Aikido linestage.

-Mike

Quote:

Figured maple sides and walnut  posts with a silicon bronze top and rear panel.
It should (better) be ready monday, in time for next saturday's L.A. meet.

Here is my Build Thread.
Lots of pictures.

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #8,547 of 8,735
The Siemens PCC88 gray shields came in from Munich.

Dropped them in the Lyr for a quick listen.  Nice midrange - very smooth.  BUT were did the detail go!!  Like a thick veil over the music - almost muffled compared to the Voskhod Rockets.  The sound stage collapsed as well!  Maybe the lack of detail is somewhat responsible.

Put in the new '78 silver Rockets that just arrived - Whoa! What a difference.  Back came the detail and the sound stage doubled.

I noticed the structure of these Siemens PCC88 gray shields are identical to the S&H CCa grays.  Certainly don't sound the same.

I'll give them a 48 hour burn-in and if they don't improve dramatically - off to Ebay they go.

Siemens CCa Gray Shield

Siemens PCC88 Gray Shield

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #8,548 of 8,735
Today I listened to a pair of 1960's Telefunken E88CC tubes that I just received . Listened with the Lyr w/Bifrost-Uber stack, and both HD800 and LCD-3 headphones.

With the HD800 these tubes were crystal clear and precise in all frequencies. The soundstage was very wide and moderately deep. The first impression is that the bass is a little light, however, I believe that these tubes come closest (among the tubes I've heard) to delivering what is actually in the recording with no coloration. The bass is actually there when the recording delivers it. Mids and highs are so clear that they sound ethereal (when they are supposed to sound that way, as in certain passages in Mahler 8). Extremely dense and fast passages (Mahler 8) are rendered with awesome precision. My personal rating - 9.5/10, which puts them in my Top 5, probably #3 or #4.

With the LCD-3, chamber music and medium-sized baroque ensembles sounded excellent, with a little added warmth and smoothness when compared to the Senn's. However, with heavily orchestrated symphonic music (Mahler 8 - it doesn't get more heavily orchestrated than this), the LCD's sounded congested and just could not deliver enough separation and detail to satisfactorily render very dense passages (admittedly a very difficult task with Mahler 8, although the HD800's were superb). My personal rating - chamber/small to medium ensemble 8.5/10. Orchestral 6/10.

As an interesting aside, I think that the Telefunkens do not sound "tubey", which I guess is another way of saying that they seem to have no coloration. The reason I did not give them a 10/10 in my personal ranking system is that my highest ranked tubes (Amperex pinched waists; S&H CCa) have a special "something" in their presentations that makes them sound amazing to me. I can't quite define it, but I can hear and feel it. Call it "color" or "rendition" or whatever, but it is special, and frankly, for me, finding it is the whole reason to roll tubes.

In summary, the Telefunkens are top-class with HD800's if you want accuracy and detail. They are not for bassheads, and I can't speak to how they sound with genres of music other than classical.

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #8,549 of 8,735
Quote:
Very nice, I really like the design and case plans.

I haven't had a ton of time for DIY lately, but I've been leaning towards building a balanced Aikido linestage.

-Mike

Thanks for the kind words guys.  
smile.gif

Now remember.... I'm an idiot that knows how to solder.
The circuit is designed by Tom Christensen.  He's a damn genius.  The answer to all questions is, "I'll ask Tom"

RB:  Feedback... I can bias the 300B's
Mike:  Aikido linestage.   I will convert the inputs from RCA to balanced XLR and order a Gungnir.  The driver board has a 3 pos blocks for the input source.  Right now the soldering iron is put away until after the LA meet.

This is the first use of Tom's design as a headphone amp and my first DIY.  It is designed as an 8 ohm speaker amp.  The OPT's were swapped to support my 60 ohm LCD2's.  As you know with headphones everything is under the microscope.  It's a work in progress.   My boy has some warts, but It's a lot of fun.  The amp has an exceptional voice and powerful, detailed bass.

I won't highjack the thread further other than an occasional mention of how a ECC88 variant (Rockets) sound in my boy.  I hope nobody minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back