Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #7,966 of 8,735
Quote:
I guess it's a good time to post this:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

A lot of great info in that thread, and we really should re-post it every so often.

Bear in mind, this list, and just about any list that is posted here or anywhere else, is a person'n opinions.  All the usual caveats apply.  

But this particular list has served me well.

This is also helpful when looking for impressions on various tubes http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm .  It also illustrates why these are just opinions to be taken as a baseline and not as an absolute.  The Tube Lore page does not like the Telefunkens, but they are a favorite of Brent Jessee's.  I decided to give the Telefunkens a try and they are among my very most favorite too. Brent's description is accurate, very neutral and detailed. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #7,967 of 8,735
As far as the Blue Jeans Cables are concerned, I just picked up the BJC LC-1 at 5 feet (stereo cables) and they are fantastic.

This is great to hear, mine should be arriving any day now. Did you own the Pyst cables previously?

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #7,968 of 8,735
Quote:

This is also helpful when looking for impressions on various tubes http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm .  It also illustrates why these are just opinions to be taken as a baseline and not as an absolute.  The Tube Lore page does not like the Telefunkens, but they are a favorite of Brent Jessee's.  I decided to give the Telefunkens a try and they are among my very most favorite too. Brent's description is accurate, very neutral and detailed. 

Exactly!

There are a lot of lists out there, but ultimately you will have to decide what sound you're looking for.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #7,970 of 8,735
Quote:
I call the O-getters "halos" too, but I'm not glass-geek enough to call them "valves"
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

You're not a glass-geek if you call them valves... Just English  
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #7,972 of 8,735
Quote:
I prefer a colonial glass-geek. 
smile.gif

That said,  I'm slogging my way through "Valve Amplifiers" by Morgan Jones.  A Brit... naturally.

Ok, now the fact you're slogging your way through a book called 'Valve Amplifiers' does make you a glass-geek  
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #7,974 of 8,735
Quote:
I'm just past the part where I learned that a 9 pin valve goes into a 9 hole socket.

lol. In my book, that makes you a certified expert

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #7,975 of 8,735
Hey folks, new to tube rolling here. How important is tube matching? I just bought some tubes from tctubes.com where each tube was sold individually, and not in a matched pair. I forgot about this until a few minutes after I placed and confirmed my order.

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #7,976 of 8,735
Backup about 4-5 pages.
There have been several discussions on match / balance through-out this monster thread.
Luckily, there was another just a few days ago.

After you read it, feel free to ask for clarification.

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #7,977 of 8,735
Hmm I see, thanks. Wish I saw that ebay post earlier before I made my order haha. Well I guess I'll take a gamble and hope it's all good when I get them.
Edit: I was able to get my order cancelled, and so I just ordered ones that are matched. They are coming in two weeks!

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #7,978 of 8,735
Been a good few weeks since I checked in on this thread....did I miss much?????

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do!

Re. tubes or valves - I call them tubes and I'm from the right/wrong side of the pond.....although most of my education has been on here so I guess there's a bit of a US influence creeping in.

Turned on my Lyr for the first time in about a month tonight and all I can say is absence makes the heart grow fonder. Lovely.  I'm also still rather smitten with those SEL Lorenz PCC88's you sent me sceleratus...they might not be considered to be the crème de la crème but I like 'em a lot
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #7,979 of 8,735
Anyone else out there tried the Tesla E88CC gold pins?
I bought a pair from this guy: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261219395120?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I'm blown away by the sound, and not even burned in yet.

I guess i like multiple sound signatures, I love the Voskhod 6N23P but these are a different animal. These strike me as transparent sounding with quite a lot of detail compared to what i've heard before, maybe the mids are slightly prominent along with the treble, but i reckon the treble will soften with burn in, has a nice sparkle atm but could do with softening a touch.

Never heard such an incredible soundstage as this before, these are magic.

Very happy with these, well worth the price.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #7,980 of 8,735
Quote:
You guys are absolutely correct. Tubes with the same model and factory/date codes will be identical.

But newbs need simpler advice when they're first starting out.

If they can find cheaper versions of great tubes by hunting for identical factory/date codes, that's fantastic.

But when they come in to this thread and all they want is to know which tubes will sound good, and someone recommends the Mullard CV2493, they would be well advised to look for exactly that tube.

They want advice, not the location of a reference manual.

I might give you a "maybe" but that's not going to happen if the above is supposed to be combined with the amount of pure mysticism evident earlier:

1. http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/7905#post_9553375
  2. http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/7905#post_9553400

An exact date code match is in practice fantasy in most cases if the tubes aren't from a single source. The Philips date code changed weekly after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back