Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #7,981 of 8,735
Quote:

I might give you a "maybe" but that's not going to happen if the above is supposed to be combined with the amount of pure mysticism evident earlier:

1. http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/7905#post_9553375
  2. http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/7905#post_9553400

An exact date code match is in practice fantasy in most cases if the tubes aren't from a single source. The Philips date code changed weekly after all.

You just love to argue.  That's it, isn't it?

Are you denying that certain tubes sound better than other tubes?

Or are you suggesting that the people who made the great sounding tubes knew exactly what they were doing and made some tubes sound great and others sound mediocre on purpose?

BTW, I mentioned several times in past posts, even in a post you referenced,  that though I use the term "magic", I'm NOT referring to any sort of mysticism.  I'm simply using shorthand to point out that there are tubes out there that have a special synergy.  Nothing more, nothing less.

And I'll say it again, and this will be my last comment on the subject, I would love for newbs to use this thread as more than just an advice column, I'd love for them to actually read the thread and gain the knowledge that you and other have to offer. But there are people out there who aren't looking to earn a degree, they just want good sounding tubes.

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #7,982 of 8,735
Rolled in some new tubes (uh, sorry . . valves) tonight.

The Telefunken E88CC/6922's sounded really beautiful, until one crapped out after a couple of minutes. Hopefully the seller has more.

Next, the Voskhod 6N23P silver shields, 1979. These are some very, very nice tubes at a reasonable price. Can't listen long enough to do a complete review, but suffice it to say . . . grab some if you can. They are particularly nice in the mids and highs, and this with no burn-in. I bought 4 from a Ukrainian seller - electrikua (Protek Trading Services, Inc). - and he/she was good enough to throw in an extra tube, no charge!

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #7,985 of 8,735
I would love for newbs to use this thread as more than just an advice column, I'd love for them to actually read the thread and gain the knowledge that you and other have to offer. But there are people out there who aren't looking to earn a degree, they just want good sounding tubes.
+1
And 3 more days until the arrival of the Orange Globes!

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #7,986 of 8,735
Quote:
I would love for newbs to use this thread as more than just an advice column, I'd love for them to actually read the thread and gain the knowledge that you and other have to offer. But there are people out there who aren't looking to earn a degree, they just want good sounding tubes.  
Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Yep.

And count me as one of those people because I just do not have the time to go through 530 pages. If I am really enthusiastic about the tubes, then I will put in the time and research to help others out when selecting tubes. But for now I just want to be pointed in the right direction.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #7,991 of 8,735
Up to date, out of Telefunken E88CC, Amperex Orange Label PQ, and Ediswan CV2492, the Ediswan's are my current reigning champion, by a wide margin. It must be noted, that only the Ediswan's were purchased from a very reputable vendor (not to mention these tubes are actually Brimar?). So, not only are the types of tube/year/model important, equally as important is who they're purchased from. Is a great pair of Telefunkens actually superior to Ediswan (Brimar)? Very well could be, but I wouldn't know. Live and learn and find a vendor you trust.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #7,992 of 8,735
Quote:
Up to date, out of Telefunken E88CC, Amperex Orange Label PQ, and Ediswan CV2492, the Ediswan's are my current reigning champion, by a wide margin. It must be noted, that only the Ediswan's were purchased from a very reputable vendor (not to mention these tubes are actually Brimar?). So, not only are the types of tube/year/model important, equally as important is who they're purchased from. Is a great pair of Telefunkens actually superior to Ediswan (Brimar)? Very well could be, but I wouldn't know. Live and learn and find a vendor you trust.

I agree.  It's especially true if you're buying off of eBay.

And even more so when you're looking for rare, specialized, and hopefully NOS tubes like we are.

Buying from Brent Jessee, you may not get the absolute cheapest prices, but he's 100% reliable.  I would say the same for Mercedesman.

To me, the kind of assurances you get from these guys is worth the little bit of extra money.  But I'm sure there are other good sellers out there.  That's why I'm glad we have this thread, if guys encounter good guys with good selections of tubes, they can post the info here.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #7,993 of 8,735
Quick question guys. I was once told you should warm tubes up for at least half an hour, preferably an hour or more before a good listening session. I always adhere to this and I was just curious if everyone was the same?

The 1/2 hour requirement only applies to LARGE tubes such as the EL34.

For small preamp tubes like the ECC88, 10 mins is more than enough.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #7,995 of 8,735
Yep.

And count me as one of those people because I just do not have the time to go through 530 pages. If I am really enthusiastic about the tubes, then I will put in the time and research to help others out when selecting tubes. But for now I just want to be pointed in the right direction.

For anyone new to 6DJ8 tubes, Joe's Tube lore found in Audioasylum has stood the test of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back