Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #7,937 of 8,735
Well I'm not sure it's going to be fair to give impressions on them since I don't have the Bifrost Uber DAC yet.You'll have to tell me what you think of the Audeze LCD-2 sometime because that may be my next headphone purchase. If it ain't that big of an upgrade from my HE-500 then I might not get it. I know you said the OG's are a great match for the LCD-2 but I would think it would work just as well with the HE-500.I'm waiting on buying another cable to see if changing the tubes gives me the sound signature I want. Although I would much prefer buying Canare cables than using these silver cables from HiFiman.

I am an HE-500 user as well and have tried the LCD-2 with its stock cables and had figured it was not really an upgrade for me and in fact I prefer the treble and air on the HE-500.

If I'm going to do anything I suppose I might try to re-cable my HE-500's and my interconnects. In fact I have ordered Blue Jeans interconnects as I find there is a bit of grain in the Pyst cables.

Other than that it's a matter of saving up for LCD-3 or HE-6.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #7,940 of 8,735
I am an HE-500 user as well and have tried the LCD-2 with its stock cables and had figured it was not really an upgrade for me and in fact I prefer the treble and air on the HE-500.

If I'm going to do anything I suppose I might try to re-cable my HE-500's and my interconnects. In fact I have ordered Blue Jeans interconnects as I find there is a bit of grain in the Pyst cables.

Other than that it's a matter of saving up for LCD-3 or HE-6.

Cool, yeah I was thinking that was the case. I was contemplating selling my HE-500s for the LCD-2s but decided against it. I actually do love the HE-500 but wish I could try out the LCD-2s, and the HE-6s and LCD-3. I like the planar magnetic phones a lot.

As far as the Blue Jeans Cables are concerned, I just picked up the BJC LC-1 at 5 feet (stereo cables) and they are fantastic.

I also got the Belden 1694A digital coaxial cable for when I purchase the Schiit Bifrost, so I can't say how it is yet. Someone on this board went through a lot of different sizes from 3 feet all the way up to 50 IIRC. He said 18 feet sounded the best so that's what I got.

But I highly recommend checking out those BJC LC-1. If it helps any, I had a Radioshack branded stereo cable that I bought for 6 bucks and there was an amazing audible difference between the two.

I would hope other HE-500 users would chime in on the OG's, but I guess I'll throw up my impressions once I get the Bifrost.

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #7,942 of 8,735
Quote:

Cool, yeah I was thinking that was the case. I was contemplating selling my HE-500s for the LCD-2s but decided against it. I actually do love the HE-500 but wish I could try out the LCD-2s, and the HE-6s and LCD-3. I like the planar magnetic phones a lot.

As far as the Blue Jeans Cables are concerned, I just picked up the BJC LC-1 at 5 feet (stereo cables) and they are fantastic.

I also got the Belden 1694A digital coaxial cable for when I purchase the Schiit Bifrost, so I can't say how it is yet. Someone on this board went through a lot of different sizes from 3 feet all the way up to 50 IIRC. He said 18 feet sounded the best so that's what I got.

But I highly recommend checking out those BJC LC-1. If it helps any, I had a Radioshack branded stereo cable that I bought for 6 bucks and there was an amazing audible difference between the two.

I would hope other HE-500 users would chime in on the OG's, but I guess I'll throw up my impressions once I get the Bifrost.

The LCD-2 was too similar to the HE-500 when I compared them last year. I ended up keeping the HE-500 because it was a better value. As for the Orange Globes, I didn't like them on the HE-500 because the female vocal presentation was too forward (in my face) for my taste. It just didn't sound natural. Some may prefer it though.

ckc

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #7,944 of 8,735
Quote:
A particular print on a tube doesn't change the way it sounds in any way.

And I'm not suggesting for a second that it does.

But I am suggesting that OGs are really good tubes.  And if someone could guarantee 100% for certain that a particular tube was in fact the same exact tube with different printing on it, I'd want to buy that tube.  Especially since it would likely be a lot cheaper than an OG.

But there was so much cross branding going on back in the day that it can be very difficult to say for certain that the tubes in question are identical. A lot of tooling and parts were shared among different factories.  And it's difficult to say for certain exactly what it is about a certain tube that gives it that special quality.  So if only one thing about the manufacture of a tube model was changed, the coating on the anode changed slightly for example, or the spacing on a grid, it becomes impossible to tell without actually listening if that tube will have the qualities you're seeking.

And that's before you add the wrinkle of money.  As in, there are a lot of people out there who are aware that certain tubes are more desirable than others.  So they'll be willing to make all sorts of claims that are dubious, and even willing to make counterfeit tubes.

That's why I say if you want OGs, or Bugle Boys, or RTCs, or Seimens Halske CCa's, or Stuttgart Lorenz, or whatever, you're really a lot better off actually buying the tube you're looking for.

Please advise me if I've said anything that's incorrect, I'm always grateful to learn.  
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #7,945 of 8,735
Quote:
So I ordered the 67 OG, and nelamvr6 recommends the 68. My lack of attention to the details strikes again. Here's to hoping the 67 version sounds just as great as the 68.

I would be willing to bet that the OGs you get will be great, but at this point the best thing to do is wait until you get them, burn them in for a bit, then listen.

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #7,946 of 8,735
I guess it's a good time to post this:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

A lot of great info in that thread, and we really should re-post it every so often.

Bear in mind, this list, and just about any list that is posted here or anywhere else, is a person'n opinions.  All the usual caveats apply.  

But this particular list has served me well.

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #7,947 of 8,735
I guess it's a good time to post this:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

A lot of great info in that thread, and we really should re-post it every so often.

Bear in mind, this list, and just about any list that is posted here or anywhere else, is a person'n opinions.  All the usual caveats apply.  

But this particular list has served me well.
Thanks for the link...It's Joe's description of the OG's as a "killer tube" that was the tipping point for me.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #7,948 of 8,735
The LCD-2 was too similar to the HE-500 when I compared them last year. I ended up keeping the HE-500 because it was a better value. As for the Orange Globes, I didn't like them on the HE-500 because the female vocal presentation was too forward (in my face) for my taste. It just didn't sound natural. Some may prefer it though.

ckc

Bingo. The forward mids of the Orange Globe is exactly why I prefer my tubes a bit more laid back with the HE500. The Mullard CV2493 and Bugle Boys are what I usually roll in.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #7,949 of 8,735
Quick question guys. I was once told you should warm tubes up for at least half an hour, preferably an hour or more before a good listening session. I always adhere to this and I was just curious if everyone was the same?

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #7,950 of 8,735
Quote:
Quick question guys. I was once told you should warm tubes up for at least half an hour, preferably an hour or more before a good listening session. I always adhere to this and I was just curious if everyone was the same?

I would like to know this as well.

Although I'm pretty sure the tubes would need to be warmed up to get the full sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back