Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #7,906 of 8,735
Code:
 [color=#ff0000][size=6][b]The Best Sounding CCa=6922 ever made[/b][/size][/color] TOP 5: ----- 1) CCa Siemens & Halske 1950's "U" getter halo and 1960's "O" getter halo "Rarest and most sought after CCa, has "gray shield" between plates, Most realistic sounding holographic soundstage, pure seductive sonic joy, complex symphonic images emerge effortlessly" 2) CCa Telefunken West Germany 1960's "excellent neutral holographic soundstage, vast vocabulary of tone establishes remarkable layers of harmonics, very rare" 3) CCa Siemens & Halske A-FRAME construction late 1960's - early 1970's "beautiful open air holographic images, low microphonic tube construction, rare" 4) CCa LORENZ West Germany early 1960's "beautiful open air holographic images, very rare" 5) CCa VALVO Heerlen Holland 1960's "real sonic holography, extremely rare" 6) CCa Siemens Rohre A-Frame early 1973-1974 (in stock, silver shield)

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #7,907 of 8,735
Jun 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #7,908 of 8,735
Quote:
I saw that eBay auction also, I guarantee that price isn't going to be that low pretty soon.

I just bought the Amperex Philips 6DJ8 ECC88, which are the exact same model as the Orange Globes but with Philips logo on it. I'm super excited. I've been looking for a bit more of a bass slam than the stock tubes I got from Schiit.

I'm just worried I'm going to get addicted to buying tubes.
redface.gif

Since these tubes are so old, how many hours will I be able to use them for?

EDIT: LOL as soon as I made this comment it's now up to 53 bucks.

Orange Globes are Orange Globes, Bugle Boys are Bugle Boys, S&H CCa are S&H CCa, etc.

There are certain tubes that have a certain magic to them, for some reason the planets aligned and they sound fantastic. 

Even though the tubes you bought have the exact same tooling and were made by the same company, they aren't Orange Globes.

I hope you got lucky and got good tubes, it wouldn't be the first time.  But if you really want Orange Globes you have to buy Orange Globes.  

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #7,909 of 8,735
Quote:

Orange Globes are Orange Globes, Bugle Boys are Bugle Boys, S&H CCa are S&H CCa, etc.

There are certain tubes that have a certain magic to them, for some reason the planets aligned and they sound fantastic. 

Even though the tubes you bought have the exact same tooling and were made by the same company, they aren't Orange Globes.

I hope you got lucky and got good tubes, it wouldn't be the first time.  But if you really want Orange Globes you have to buy Orange Globes.  

Yeah I just bought the OG and sent an email to cancel my order of the Philips.

I appreicate you recommending them also.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #7,910 of 8,735
Quote:
I've purchased a good chunk of glass from Ron.
If he says they are the same, then they are the same.

I know they are both ECC88's and they were both made in Heerlen Holland..... (Oskari, It was Holland in 1968)

I'm a brand bigot.
Get the 68 OG's
Slam Dunk.   Ask nelrm6   

EDIT....
Only if the OG's are from mercedesman.   
He has the best valve guarantee going.

Mercedesman is a great guy to deal with.  If the tubes he says are the same are cheap enough, they may be worth the risk.

But IMHO it's not enough to be made at the same factory by the same workers.

I've said it before, even the guys making the tubes didn't know exactly why certain tubes had that magic, otherwise they would make them consistently.

Some tubes have magic, some don't.  I don't want to imply that voodoo or some supernatural force is involved in their making, but some tubes have a synergy that makes them exceptional.

But I believe there are other sources of Orange Globes, Mercedesman does seem to have a lot of them, but they have not gotten to the point where they're as rare as the Siemens & Halske CCa's.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #7,911 of 8,735
Quote:
If they are NOS I would say 5,000 to 7,000 hours.
There isn't a "Life" spec on the ECC88
However there is a "Life" spec for 6922 / 7308.  That value is 10,000 hours
SInce those are the same construction with tighter tolerances for military use I'm guessing 5-7K hours.

This is why when I find a tube I love I try to get a "safety" pair, so if /when they die I'll be able to replace them.

None of these tubes are getting less rare...

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #7,912 of 8,735
Quote:

Cool! I look forward to hearing your impressions.  
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #7,915 of 8,735
Quote:
Is there any difference in the year 1968,1967,1970 for the orange globes? As they are all priced the same

Typically, the older the better. I would stick with the '67s and '68s with the halo getter.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #7,917 of 8,735
Quote:
Mercedesman is a great guy to deal with.  If the tubes he says are the same are cheap enough, they may be worth the risk.

But IMHO it's not enough to be made at the same factory by the same workers.

I've said it before, even the guys making the tubes didn't know exactly why certain tubes had that magic, otherwise they would make them consistently.

Some tubes have magic, some don't.  I don't want to imply that voodoo or some supernatural force is involved in their making, but some tubes have a synergy that makes them exceptional.

But I believe there are other sources of Orange Globes, Mercedesman does seem to have a lot of them, but they have not gotten to the point where they're as rare as the Siemens & Halske CCa's.

I was really waffling on this whole  OG / Philips thing.  Ronnie is the man.... But
I believe in the magic troll dust too
OG's baby.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #7,918 of 8,735
Quote:

@nelamvr6
he takes this Schiiit seriously.
a good opinion to listen to.

EDIT...
There are a lot of knowledgable folks on this thread that are worth listening to.
A really great bunch.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #7,919 of 8,735
Quote:
Is there any difference in the year 1968,1967,1970 for the orange globes? As they are all priced the same

A big +1 for 1967's on down.   I just saw today that there are some 1968 dimple getters. I thought 1969 was the first year.  You don't want those.
"O" getters will deliver the sound you seek.

When you really get hard core you'll be buying 1958 "D" getters.

It is so counter intuitive that 50 year old electronics can sound better than something made today.
Believe It.

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #7,920 of 8,735
Quote:

A big +1 for 1967's on down.   I just saw today that there are some 1968 dimple getters. I thought 1969 was the first year.  You don't want those.
"O" getters will deliver the sound you seek.

When you really get hard core you'll be buying 1958 "D" getters.

It is so counter intuitive that 50 year old electronics can sound better than something made today.
Believe It.

My '68 OG are halos, same as my '67s. Never saw a '68 dimple getter.

+1 on buying D-getters. They just sound better, IMO.

beerchug.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back