Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #7,876 of 8,735
Quote:
Can anyone name some reasonably priced dark sounding tubes?
I Will be running some T1's with a Lyr and i would like something that takes away a small bit of treble energy.

thanks.

Mullard CV2492 or CV2493 is a great choice. It seems to tame the top edge while still providing a silky smooth midrange and very nice, tight bass.

That Mullard also has nice energy in the lower mids, which mates very well with my HE500's, to my ears.

beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #7,877 of 8,735
Quote:
Whats the meaning of silk screen condition? The higher the better?

That's simply a description of how much printing is left on the tube. The paint used in the '50-70's became chalky over time and is easily rubbed off, unless carefully handled.

Doesn't affect the sound quality in any way.

beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #7,879 of 8,735
Jun 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #7,882 of 8,735
Quote:
Well the Voshkods have been under re-evaluation with the assertion that more time is required. I created a 38Ohm dummy load and so far they have around 48hrs on low resistance. .....

I'm glad you brought this up because I just learned about it.

This might be helpful.
This is from the designer of the 300B valve amp I built...   "Always have headphones connected when the amp is on. Without a load, you can actually destroy the output transformers.  Some people put a large resistor (560 ohm, 2 W would probably work fine in your case)"
A Lyr does not have OPTs, (It's solid state) so it may not apply.  I used a 60Ω resistor to match my LCD2's.  If anyone would like such a plug, I'd be happy to make them for parts and postage.  Parts would be under $10.  It depends on the plug.  I'm sure there are inexpensive ones for $5 or so, the resistors are pennies.

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #7,883 of 8,735
Quote:

Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88 are the best tubes I've heard so far for the HE-500.

ckc

I totally agree. But since the Lorenz Stutts are unobtainium, I have found that BB D-getters are really not too far behind...only lacking slightly in bass extension. Keep in mind that's in MY audio chain.

To my ears, there's a big difference in instrument separation between the BB D-getters and large halos, and that's comparing '59s and '62s. I haven't heard BB's from any other year.

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #7,884 of 8,735
Quote:

Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88 are the best tubes I've heard so far for the HE-500.

ckc

Quote:
I totally agree. But since the Lorenz Stutts are unobtainium, I have found that BB D-getters are really not too far behind...only lacking slightly in bass extension. Keep in mind that's in MY audio chain.

To my ears, there's a big difference in instrument separation between the BB D-getters and large halos, and that's comparing '59s and '62s. I haven't heard BB's from any other year.

Hurry here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-PCC88-7DJ8-ECC88-6DJ8-SUBS-VINTAGE-LORENZ-STRONG-/190858455235?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2c700ce8c3

Good Luck!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - No, I am actually not bidding on these...  Believe it or not, I am very happy with the Mullard 4109s... 
eek.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #7,885 of 8,735
I saw that eBay auction also, I guarantee that price isn't going to be that low pretty soon.

I just bought the Amperex Philips 6DJ8 ECC88, which are the exact same model as the Orange Globes but with Philips logo on it. I'm super excited. I've been looking for a bit more of a bass slam than the stock tubes I got from Schiit.

I'm just worried I'm going to get addicted to buying tubes.
redface.gif

Since these tubes are so old, how many hours will I be able to use them for?

EDIT: LOL as soon as I made this comment it's now up to 53 bucks.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #7,888 of 8,735
Quote:
Well if you are going to bid on it, then I won't. Good luck!

Oh, the Skulduggery on this thread 
biggrin.gif

Also.  Only "Orange Globes" are orange globes.
They are different than the Philips Label.   IMO

You want 1960's OG's  Might take a bit to find, might cost another $20-$30.
Pay it.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #7,890 of 8,735
Quote:
Oh, the Skulduggery on this thread 
biggrin.gif

Also.  Only "Orange Globes" are orange globes.
They are different than the Philips Label.   IMO

You want 1960's OG's  Might take a bit to find, might cost another $20-$30.
Pay it.

According to mercedesman6572:

These tube are the EXACT same tubes as the highly sought after ORANGE GLOBE models made by Amperex. They were made in the same factory by the same workers, but labeled for the Philips corporation.

Also I got them at a pretty good discount, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back