Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #7,861 of 8,735
That's interesting LS. Do you think the higher reading after the start of use could be the tube settling and reaching optimum performance., i.e. burning in?

Or just coincidence?

Btw, great info as usual.

As a New tube is used, it's readings actually shoot up slightly initially, hence a "used" tube could have higher readings than a completely "new" tube.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #7,862 of 8,735
Anybody with LCD-2's here? 
biggrin.gif

Which tubes compliment the LCD-2 best?
I believe nelamvr6 has the LCD-2 and he highly praises the Amperex Orange Globes late 60's tube paired with this headphone. Hopefully he'll offer his perspective on the subject

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #7,863 of 8,735
Quote:
I believe nelamvr6 has the LCD-2 and he highly praises the Amperex Orange Globes late 60's tube paired with this headphone. Hopefully he'll offer his perspective on the subject

+1
 E188CC (7308) and E88CC (6922)  are a grade (better spec) Than ECC88.
LCD2's like Amperex Orange Globe ECC88's 1968 and earlier.  They were made in Heerlen Holland (Netherlands) and have a small ∆ etched in the glass, followed by a single letter designating the year they were made, then the month and week code.  Look for an "O" getter (halo) at the top of the glass. I like the large "O" over the small "o"  both are beautiful.   After 1969 the getters became discs with bumps.  "dimple getters.   Nice, but I like the 60's better.   IMO  

Amperex 6922's were made in NY.  Usually with military markings like "USN-CEP 6922"  These are very nice but twice the price.

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #7,864 of 8,735
Quote:

You are correct.

I would also have high praise for the RTC E188CC valves.  And  there are other choices that pair quite well with the LCD-2s.

I prefer the Amperex Orange Globes primarily for the sliky smooth, "tubey" midrange.  But if you prefer a slightly less fluid, leaner midrange the RTCs are the tubes for you.  In most other respects, I'd rate these two tubes as a push.  They both have excellent bass response, fantastic treble, and amazing soundstage, presence and air.

You won't go too far wrong either way.

My list of favorite tubes is as follows:

[size=x-small]1. Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globes 1968[/size]
[size=x-small]2. RTC E188CC circa 1967[/size]
[size=x-small]3. Amperex USN 6922 D Getter 1960[/size]
[size=x-small]4. Amperex 6DJ8 Bugle Boy 1966[/size]
[size=x-small]5. Amperex USN-CEP 6922 '60's.[/size]

[size=x-small]ANY of these tubes will sound at least great with the LCD-2 headphone.  [/size]

[size=x-small]But bear in mind, these are my favorites, I came up with this list using my ears and my preferences with respect to sound signature.  I don't think it's very likely, but it is possible for a person to reasonably disagree with every single one of my selections.[/size]

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #7,865 of 8,735
Quote:
+1
 E188CC (7308) and E88CC (6922)  are a grade (better spec) Than ECC88.
LCD2's like Amperex Orange Globe ECC88's 1968 and earlier.  They were made in Heerlen Holland (Netherlands) and have a small ∆ etched in the glass, followed by a single letter designating the year they were made, then the month and week code.  Look for an "O" getter (halo) at the top of the glass. I like the large "O" over the small "o"  both are beautiful.   After 1969 the getters became discs with bumps.  "dimple getters.   Nice, but I like the 60's better.   IMO  

Amperex 6922's were made in NY.  Usually with military markings like "USN-CEP 6922"  These are very nice but twice the price.

I have not heard any dimple disk getter tubes, but you and I have had similar taste in most of the tubes we've both tried so far, so I trust your judgement.

As for the USN-CEP 6922s, they are amazing, worth every penny!  They remind me a lot of your favorite RTC valves.  The only reason they aren't higher on my list is my yearning for that tubey midrange...

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #7,866 of 8,735
Quote:
Why does the HD650 pair so well with the Amperex orange A-frames? I snagged a pair of orange PQ's on Audiogon last week and just now sitting down to enjoy them.

Killer combo, IMO

beerchug.gif

Hard to explain the synergy that happens sometimes.  Best not to worry too much and just enjoy! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #7,867 of 8,735
Jun 23, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #7,868 of 8,735
Quote:

You are correct.

I would also have high praise for the RTC E188CC valves.  And  there are other choices that pair quite well with the LCD-2s.

I prefer the Amperex Orange Globes primarily for the sliky smooth, "tubey" midrange.  But if you prefer a slightly less fluid, leaner midrange the RTCs are the tubes for you.  In most other respects, I'd rate these two tubes as a push.  They both have excellent bass response, fantastic treble, and amazing soundstage, presence and air.

You won't go too far wrong either way.

My list of favorite tubes is as follows:

[size=x-small]1. Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globes 1968[/size]
[size=x-small]2. RTC E188CC circa 1967[/size]
[size=x-small]3. Amperex USN 6922 D Getter 1960[/size]
[size=x-small]4. Amperex 6DJ8 Bugle Boy 1966[/size]
[size=x-small]5. Amperex USN-CEP 6922 '60's.[/size]

[size=x-small]ANY of these tubes will sound at least great with the LCD-2 headphone.  [/size]

[size=x-small]But bear in mind, these are my favorites, I came up with this list using my ears and my preferences with respect to sound signature.  I don't think it's very likely, but it is possible for a person to reasonably disagree with every single one of my selections.[/size]

Yea.
What he said !

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #7,869 of 8,735
Well the Voshkods have been under re-evaluation with the assertion that more time is required. I created a 38Ohm dummy load and so far they have around 48hrs on low resistance.  For the record, endlessly repeating some "Tracy Chapman".  In fact, track #5 is what threw me off the Voshkod. The bass line is perhaps a bit overblown in the original recording.  Now in my defense a bass line is the most easily identifiable section of a track. A audiophile you could say is born or drawn through bass and evolves from it. So after a point in said development, if the bass suffers, they may dismiss the rest.

So in additional 48hrs I found the base tightened up significantly. But it was still overblown. By my calculations my NOS Voshkod only had ~100hrs on them.

To check, I swapped the Siemens back in. I have to say that... RB one of the following is true. One of us is in denial or the Voshkod take another 100hrs to flourish.  As the commander said that the beginning of the 5th element "I have a doubt".

I'm going to give them another 100hrs and then compare again. But I tell you the Siemens Cca didn't need any break in time. They just did what they do right off the hop....and then they just got better and.... better and better.  The fact that I picked up my pair for $240 means steals can be had.

Putting another 100hrs on them is going to be tough because this equates to a good week of withdrawl.

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #7,870 of 8,735
That's interesting LS. Do you think the higher reading after the start of use could be the tube settling and reaching optimum performance., i.e. burning in?

Or just coincidence?

Btw, great info as usual.

Yes. This is "burn-in" for tubes.

Those R&D folks in tube mfg companies during the golden era of tubes have plotted out a mA (vertical axis) vs length of use in hrs ( horizontal axis).

Xxx
X. X
X X
X. X
X
X

Every tube from little preamp tubes (ecc88) to the big output EL34 tubes show the same characteristic.

Hence a properly matched pair of tubes needs warmup time to settle down, i.e. mA is stable, before you can conclude that the tubes are matched.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #7,872 of 8,735
Quote:
 A audiophile you could say is born or drawn through bass and evolves from it. So after a point in said development, if the bass suffers, they may dismiss the rest.

I was drawn through treble, detail and clarity but funnily enough ended up evolving to bass or colouration - i often do things backwards though !

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #7,875 of 8,735
Can anyone name some reasonably priced dark sounding tubes?
I Will be running some T1's with a Lyr and i would like something that takes away a small bit of treble energy.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back