Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #7,696 of 8,735
ilikepooters

Looks like the getter disk on one of the Voskhod tubes is bend at an angle to form the silver coating at the top of the tube. It should not have any impact to the sound.  

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #7,697 of 8,735
Quote:

I use the HE-500's and my setup is certainly not bright. I've actually had to work at getting the treble where I want it. 

Which tubes and which cables are you using?

I'm using the PYST RCA cables from Schiit. And lifatec Fiber Opitc Glass Cable

GE 6BZ7/6BQ7A Tubes

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #7,698 of 8,735
Picked these guys up recently.  These are my endgame tubes, so natural and clean.  The 1958 Amperex Bugle Boy D-Getter (small bugler) are legendary and I got the pair for $99.  Pegged good on my tester too, so cross my fingers they will last a while.   If you can find these anywhere, definitely buy.  I'd pay 2 or 3 times what I paid for a backup set.

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #7,699 of 8,735

Quote:
Picked these guys up recently.  These are my endgame tubes, so natural and clean.  The 1958 Amperex Bugle Boy D-Getter (small bugler) are legendary and I got the pair for $99.  Pegged good on my tester too, so cross my fingers they will last a while.   If you can find these anywhere, definitely buy.  I'd pay 2 or 3 times what I paid for a backup set.

Gorgeous. Where did you get them?

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #7,700 of 8,735
Got them off ebay, I had a google alert going for about 4 months though!

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #7,701 of 8,735
Quote:

Mercedesman has a set:  http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMPEREX-BUGLE-BOY-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-TINY-MAN-1958-D-GETTER-MATCHED-PAIR-8I-/221228395651?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item33823d6c83

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #7,702 of 8,735
Quote:

not any more. 
smile.gif

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #7,705 of 8,735
Quote:
Yes!  This is what I have been saying...tremendous tube!  Just did an extensive comparison between the Philips-Holland E88CC SQ Halo getters (1960s date code), the Amperex US PQ 6922s and the 6n23p Voshkod Rockets 1979, 1980, 1983,etc...date codes.

The 1979 and 1980 Voshkod rockets sound better then the Amperex by a mile and even beat the SQs in most respects.

One note:  I have collected a large stash of these V-Rockets and I noticed their seems to be two versions across date codes.  One with a long gray shield and one with a long shiny shield - kinda'  like the S&H CCa.  Except the sound on the V-Rockets with the shiny shields sound way better!  Much more open, with a more extended and detailed high end (unlike the the S&H CCa where the gray shield are superior).  I have posted a picture, the shiny shield is the 3rd from the left and the gray the last to the right.

Try them both, but don't judge them until you have heard the shiny version.   Best sounding of the date codes are the 1979 and 1980s so far.

V-Rocket vs the Amperex - way more detailed, just as musical, wider deeper sound stage, way more dynamic and open, deeper tighter bass.

V-Rocket vs the Philips- Holland SQ Halos - the V-rocket again excel, the SQ are a tad more liquid in the mid, but the V-Rocket beat them in dynamics, openness, with a wider and deeper sound stage.  Both tubes are very musical, but the V-Rockets have a deeper level of detail.  The detail is so great that I could things like light cymbal taps and guitar plucks that I had never heard before, even on recording that I've heard hundreds of times!  This level of detail adds to the ambient clues that provide a very realistic 3-d sound staging.  The musicians are holographic vs stacked flat cardboard cut-outs.

The 1979, 1980 vs later 1980s and 1990s V-Rockets.

They are all very close, but the earliest date codes are the best - with a more dynamic presentation and greater detail.  I'm arranging to acquire some 1960s date codes so we'll see how they sound.

Awesome tube!  especially for the money! 

rb2013, your post did it for me. I was very happy with the Amperex but one read of your post and I just ordered 5 of the V-Rockets circa 1980 ! 
L3000.gif

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #7,707 of 8,735
Quote:
I've just bought a Tube Imp tube tester: http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/tubeimp.html

and i've bought 7 lots of this guys Voskhod 6N23P's http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261226237652?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

So about 24 tubes, which will give me 28 tubes in total lol

I'm determined to find the really good ones with long silver shield and a good match 
tongue.gif

Then the rest i can put back on the 'Bay as matched pairs. 

Lol, I am thinking of grabbing a lot just yesterday. Now you........:)

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #7,708 of 8,735
Quote:
rb2013, your post did it for me. I was very happy with the Amperex but one read of your post and I just ordered 5 of the V-Rockets circa 1980 ! 
L3000.gif

Good luck, I hope you like them.  I'm looking forward to reading your impressions. 

Anyone looking for a matched pr of Philips Holland SQ Halo getters (1960's date codes)?  They test perfect on my Sencor TC-162 tester - no shorts, no gas, like new output.  I'll post test results later - but like new.

I'll put them up on Audiogon (RB99)  later this week when I get time.

Just ordered some 1975 matched V-Rockets!  Looking for the elusive late 1960's version.  So far I have acquired close to 30 of these and it's amazing how uniformly matched they test - across tubes and across sections.  Although I have gotten a few that failed the gas emission test (this can blow resistors in some amps).  The Sencor tester excels at detecting gassy tubes - even better then the legendary Hickok.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #7,709 of 8,735
Quote:
Yes, my hunting them out and now my initial statement of early impressions was basically a nod to your posts. I've been breaking in for 20hrs or so. Last listen was around 8hrs in. They seemed to have more space without loss of presence. A little more punch and boom in the mid bass.

Got 4 of them for 5$ each. Value is off the scale.

Great to hear!  I know everyone's upstream is a bit different, and listening tastes, so I'm really glad to hear you like them as well.  When I first started buying these many yrs ago, they were so hard to find.  I first read about them on Audio Asylum, and it was like - someone knows a guy who knows a guy who can get them.  Some local (Seattle) tube sellers were getting $70/pr for mismatched prs.

If you go to Audiogon and see my feedback (RB99) you can see I'm an insane audio nut - constantly trading equipment, buying tweeks, trying to improve my system.  These Rockets have completely satisfied me for years!  Now that I have explored them in more detail (silver vs gray shield, older date codes, etc...) I have even better sounding ones!  For peanuts!! 

We have great amps like the Lyr and Bada SE 3.3 - cheap.   Awesome headphones like HD800, HE600, LCD3 - that perform like $10K speakers.    We live in glorious audio times!

I sold all my S&H CCa for more then I pd for them.   In many years of long daily use (all day as background in my office) and night time in my listening room system - never had one fail!  Anyone who has used 6dj8s, 6922, E88CC, CCa for an extended period of time knows they can fail - and will fail.  It killed me when a beautiful gray shield S&H CCa died on me - that killed the matched pr.  For that kind of money I could get a really nice interconnect or power cord that would last forever.  Now the prices are so high, you can buy a Lyr - or even a Woo amp!  Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back