Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #7,666 of 8,735
Quote:
Hey guys, for the record, I'm not actually following the thread today due to being under the weather.  However, I am passing this information on from TubeMonger because they are genuinely trying to be helpful to us.  Here you go:

From TubeMonger:

"Did not mean to be curt. Shall write list of tips to id tubes for the board later today.

Mercedesman is an honest and upfront seller. He offers great values in desirable tubes. It is likely he was duped in this instance. He may not be familiar with the nuances of the various fakes coming out of former Czechoslovakia. Good news is that tube in question are genuine Tesla ECC88 tubes."

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Hope you are able to get a lot of rest. Get well soon!

Maybe since I am new at this and I don't understand what "for the board" means... It is so nice of them to help out and create a helpful guide. Would love to get a link once it is up.

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #7,667 of 8,735
Voshkod 6N23P! Great tube! Great initial impressions. I'll break in a pair and compare to S&H CCA. If these open up the way I hope they do... The Siemens might seem very frivolous indeed.

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #7,668 of 8,735
Quote:

Hope you are able to get a lot of rest. Get well soon!

Maybe since I am new at this and I don't understand what "for the board" means... It is so nice of them to help out and create a helpful guide. Would love to get a link once it is up.

Thanks for the well-wishes!  I'll post it as soon as I get it from them.  "For the board" is a reference to the old bulletin board system (bbs) that was used before the internet and forums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #7,670 of 8,735
Quote:

Now you need to find some nice expensive tubes to put in it 
beerchug.gif

For sure :)

I wonder what I should try first.. How long does it normally take to burn tubes in?

What I do notice is that the treble is very high on the Lyr. I get listening fatigue if I turn it loud!

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #7,671 of 8,735
Quote:
Voshkod 6N23P! Great tube! Great initial impressions. I'll break in a pair and compare to S&H CCA. If these open up the way I hope they do... The Siemens might seem very frivolous indeed.

Yes!  This is what I have been saying...tremendous tube!  Just did an extensive comparison between the Philips-Holland E88CC SQ Halo getters (1960s date code), the Amperex US PQ 6922s and the 6n23p Voshkod Rockets 1979, 1980, 1983,etc...date codes.

The 1979 and 1980 Voshkod rockets sound better then the Amperex by a mile and even beat the SQs in most respects.

One note:  I have collected a large stash of these V-Rockets and I noticed their seems to be two versions across date codes.  One with a long gray shield and one with a long shiny shield - kinda'  like the S&H CCa.  Except the sound on the V-Rockets with the shiny shields sound way better!  Much more open, with a more extended and detailed high end (unlike the the S&H CCa where the gray shield are superior).  I have posted a picture, the shiny shield is the 3rd from the left and the gray the last to the right.

Try them both, but don't judge them until you have heard the shiny version.   Best sounding of the date codes are the 1979 and 1980s so far.

V-Rocket vs the Amperex - way more detailed, just as musical, wider deeper sound stage, way more dynamic and open, deeper tighter bass.

V-Rocket vs the Philips- Holland SQ Halos - the V-Rocket again excel, the SQ are a tad more liquid in the mid, but the V-Rocket beat them in dynamics, openness, with a wider and deeper sound stage.  Both tubes are very musical, but the V-Rockets have a deeper level of detail.  The detail is so great that I could hear things like light cymbal taps and guitar plucks that I had never heard before, even on recordings that I've heard hundreds of times!  This level of detail adds to the ambient clues that provide a very realistic 3-d sound staging.  The musicians are holographic vs stacked flat cardboard cut-outs.

The 1979, 1980 vs later 1980s and 1990s V-Rockets.

They are all very close, but the earliest date codes are the best - with a more dynamic presentation and greater detail.  I'm arranging to acquire some 1960s date codes so we'll see how they sound.

Awesome tube!  especially for the money! 

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #7,674 of 8,735
Quote:
What should I do exactly?

Basically what he's saying is, it isn't your LYR that has the slightly harsh treble, it's just that the tubes probably need burning in a little.

You can get hold of a pink noise wav file and play it constantly through your LYR for the next 24 hours until the tubes settle in a bit. I will try and dig one out a bit later if you can't get hold of one

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #7,675 of 8,735
Nice! Yeah, so what, just unplug headphones, and let a pink noise wave file loop for 24 hours?

Thanks man, yeah if you hooked me up with a link that would be wicked! Cheers!

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #7,678 of 8,735
Hmm, why is this thread not allowing me to add an attachment??

Jun 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #7,679 of 8,735
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back