Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #7,711 of 8,735
when tos talks, I listen... "legendary"
tiny bugler, 58', D, and from mercedesman... done
many thanks San

Too bad you missed out on those '59 d-getter bugle boys that HK was selling a couple of weeks ago.

Somebody bought all 4 pair :)

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #7,712 of 8,735
mercedesman has a lot of glass at very good prices. I think I will try to find a pair of orange globes that a lot of people here seems to like a lot. there is so much tube variety in the 6922, e88cc family it is mind boggling.

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #7,713 of 8,735
Quote:
Too bad you missed out on those '59 d-getter bugle boys that HK was selling a couple of weeks ago.

Somebody bought all 4 pair
smily_headphones1.gif

I was waffling on the fence and passed and on those.
Then, Sanlitun dangled these in front of me, and I bit like a bass on a rubber crawler.
If I don't like the sound signature, I'm sure I can sell them.

A little update on my 300B amp:
Tom has modified it to support ECC88's and variants. 
L3000.gif

I guess that means I'm rolling again.... If the amp sounds good.
I hope to have the replacement  for the defective 300B's from Brent this week.

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #7,716 of 8,735
OK, I've decided I'm definitely NOT selling these RTCs.  I'm still waffling about whether I like these better than the Orange Globes, it's really a tough decision, and A/B testing is not easy.  I wish I had two Lyrs so I could switch more easily.

For one thing, the OGs have a bit more gain, so volume matching is a challenge. I also try to let the tubes cool a little before rolling, and that slows things down.

These tubes, the RTC E188CC and the Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8, are so hard to decide between.

But I will make a decision soon.

But at any rate, I've decided that I want to keep both tubes anyway, they're both so good!

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #7,718 of 8,735
Impresssion: Siemens Cca Grey plate vs Voshkod '83 silver

The Voskod is a fantastic bargain. Can be currently be found on ebay for as little as $5 - 7 each whereas the Siemens ranges from around $120 - $250each.. or more. Sonically they are both very revealing with similar soundstage. The Voshkod in fact might actually have a slightly taller stage.

A) Voshkod
Coming from a Siemens love relationship I was initially very very impressed by the Voshkod.  It presents with an immediacy and space that immediately entices you to close your eyes, lean back and absorb. Slightly more punchy in the mid bass region, but otherwise just as tight and airy as any tube I've heard to date. Placement and 3 dimensions are evident in spades.  Some recordings can catch you off guard and get  you to looking around for the source of the exterior noise you thought were external to the headphone.  

B) Siemens CCa
Reality sets in and all the detail you didn't believe possible comes out. Not quite as punchy mid bass, but tighter. Highs are lighter and squarely placed as thought by laser beam. There's no need to concentrate on where things are, they just are. The detail is thus far in my experience, unparalleled.  Perhaps too analytical for some. But I don't quite understand that limit yet. I haven't found it.

Summary
The Voshkod is no slouch. I've only given them 50hrs break in and they might yet open further. They are still a bargain and they do very well. If your just looking for some really good tunes on the cheap, these are the ones to get. However for me, audiophillia is about that last %1.  You "buy the ticket, take the ride".  The difference between these two tubes can be summed up as a difference one would perceive between the $20 interconnects and $5000 interconnects. There IS a difference and for some people it will slap them in the face, but not others. People with an untrained ear mostly would not notice any difference. Those that did would not value it.  

Will I be selling my CCa tubes? I had really really hoped to. I really did.  But I'll have to quote the NRA.

"You can have my Siemens when you take them from my cold, dead hands". 

There is a reason they are as expensive as they are. They are rare is the primary reason, but the other is because they are awesome.  It will be a very sad day when they die and their all gone.

In the end, the Voshkod are cheap. Give them a try. What's the worst that could happen?

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #7,719 of 8,735
OK, I've decided I'm definitely NOT selling these RTCs.  I'm still waffling about whether I like these better than the Orange Globes, it's really a tough decision, and A/B testing is not easy.  I wish I had two Lyrs so I could switch more easily.
This is what makes evaluating tubes difficult- After waiting for the tubes to cool down, then switching them, it's tough to tell (at least for me). Probably most importantly, my ears aren't great evaluators anyways. If it was possible to listen to a song and flip a switch and listen to the same song with different tubes, maybe I'd have a chance.

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #7,721 of 8,735
Quote:

For one thing, the OGs have a bit more gain, so volume matching is a challenge. I also try to let the tubes cool a little before rolling, and that slows things down.

These tubes, the RTC E188CC and the Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8, are so hard to decide between.

But I will make a decision soon.

But at any rate, I've decided that I want to keep both tubes anyway, they're both so good!

Let me make it easy for ya nel.

They are called "La Radiotechnique"
Ya gotta own something audio with a name like that.
Glad you are keeping them.

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #7,722 of 8,735
This is what makes evaluating tubes difficult- After waiting for the tubes to cool down, then switching them, it's tough to tell (at least for me). Probably most importantly, my ears aren't great evaluators anyways. If it was possible to listen to a song and flip a switch and listen to the same song with different tubes, maybe I'd have a chance.

+1. You want to let the tubes cool, so I too find A/B comparisons difficult.

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #7,723 of 8,735
Thought I'd post an FYI for anyone in the Los Angeles area.
There will be a "Regional Meet" Sat. July 20th at the Woodland Hills Marriott  (San Fernando Valley)

There are a lot of folks registered.
Schiit, Audeze, and other manufacturers will be there.

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #7,724 of 8,735
How do these compare to the Voskhod 6N1P-EV?

Voskhod 6N23P's are the flavour of the week at the moment.

I have orange label Amperex PQ 6DJ8 made in Holland in the 70's so i'm guessing these are pretty much a glorified orange globe, and i think the Voskhod 6N23P's blow them out of the water, the Russians just sound so much more open while having a similar tone.

Deffinitely worth having a look if you get the chance, especially at how peanuts the prices are for Russian glass.

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #7,725 of 8,735
Quote:

I think it's high time we ask Jason Stoddard for a "Special Head-Fi Edition" Lyr.  It would feature two sets of tube sockets that can always supply heater current to both banks and a soft A/B switch to select the tubes in bank A or B.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Well, we  can always dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back