Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #4,741 of 8,735
Quote:
^^ Great choice!! As it happens I'm listening to them now and they are the best I've ever heard...
wink.gif

love to hear positive comments on a purchase like that! thanks for the input, Matt! they came in today, i'd love to give my impressions, but alas my Lyr (and Bifrost) still haven't shipped...
frown.gif
having a tough time waiting this one out. site says ships late december, but jason seems to allude to a bit longer of a wait. we shall see.

i get this strange feeling this is the start of a long, expensive sub-hobby...
wink.gif

on a side note, anyone got some songs that really make the Bifrost > Lyr > HE-500 combo really sing? i'd love to put em through their paces when everything arrives.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #4,742 of 8,735
Quote:

on a side note, anyone got some songs that really make the Bifrost > Lyr > HE-500 combo really sing? i'd love to put em through their paces when everything arrives.

Blues: Smokin' Joe Kubek and B'Nois King, "Standing In My Door" (Roadhouse Research, 2003)

Jazz:  Miles Davis, "Flamenco Sketches" (Kind of Blue, 1959)

Rock:  Porcupine Tree, "Trains" (In Absentia, 2002)

Acoustic:  Alice in Chains, "Rooster" (MTV Unplugged, 1996)

Metal:  Tool, "Right in Two" (10,000 Days, 2006)

A few off the top of my head, too many others to list.  Enjoy!
beerchug.gif

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #4,743 of 8,735
^^ Man, there is just too much to choose from and depends on what kind of music you like. It's hard to pass up on AIC: MTv Unplugged from the above list. 

Enjoy!!

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #4,744 of 8,735
Quote:

Blues: Smokin' Joe Kubek and B'Nois King, "Standing In My Door" (Roadhouse Research, 2003)

Jazz:  Miles Davis, "Flamenco Sketches" (Kind of Blue, 1959)

Rock:  Porcupine Tree, "Trains" (In Absentia, 2002)

Acoustic:  Alice in Chains, "Rooster" (MTV Unplugged, 1996)

Metal:  Tool, "Right in Two" (10,000 Days, 2006)

A few off the top of my head, too many others to list.  Enjoy!
beerchug.gif

thanks OldSkool, looks like some good variety. much appreciated!

Quote:
^^ Man, there is just too much to choose from and depends on what kind of music you like. It's hard to pass up on AIC: MTv Unplugged from the above list. 

Enjoy!!

sweet! i'll definitely check into it, thank ya!
beyersmile.png
i'm open to genres, but i guess i'm pretty picky when it gets down to artists. always enjoy something new though.

hope everyone's having a good start to their day!

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #4,747 of 8,735
Quote:
Swooped the NIB set from Mercedesman :) thanks for the rec, can't wait to try em

IMO

again

IMO

You are not allowed to listen to the USN-CEP's until you have a reference point.   Say…. 1 day listening to the stock tubes.

Otherwise you will be banned from the "Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread"  
smile.gif

Remember NIB/NOS need time to settle in too.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #4,748 of 8,735
Quote:
The Cowboy Bebop soundtrack is great to put audio equipment through it's paces. And, Seven Moons by Robin Trower and Jack Bruce sounds wonderful on tube amps.

Gonna take you up on that suggestion jefferey, ordered the soundtracks already and am waiting for them....always been a fan of the show before and was reminded the nice mix of music from the anime.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #4,749 of 8,735
Okie Dokie,

I picked up from the thread that "USN" is United States Navy"  duh.   and that "JAN" is Joint Army Navy.
So it makes sense that mil spec tubes are the best grade.  US/UK/Germany whatever.

But what does CEP mean?  As in "USN-CEP"

Wikipedia has it as a military acronym for CEP – Circular error of probability, but it's has to do with munitions.  I can't see a correlation between munitions and electronic vacuum tubes.  There are a bunch of other CEP's out there but they are even further from vacuum tubes.

Oracles of the thread, edjamakate me.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #4,750 of 8,735
I believe it stands for "Commercial Electronic Products" based on an excert from a AudiogoN forum thread I found.  As with everything on the internet, take this with a grain of salt...

"[size=x-small]04-25-02: Brf[/size]
[size=larger][size=small]These tubes sound awesome. I have a Sonic Frontiers Line 3SE with 10 NOS Valvo 6922. I replaced all 10 Valvos with the Amperex 7308s, and what a difference, especially in the deep bass and a more fleshed out natural midrange. The soundstage is huge with these tubes. I generally experience a subtle change when tube rolling, but this change was dramatic. Some tell me that changing all 10 tubes in my pre-amp with 7308 is overkill (instead of changing just the first two positions), but what the heck, you only live once.

USN-CEP - That is the older Navy code for Amperex Electronic Products. "C" is for Commercial. The remaining letter or letters identify a company:

CG = General Electric
CW = Western Electric
CRC = RCA (Radio Corporation)
CRP = Raytheon (Raytheon Production Corp)
CTL = Tung-Sol"[/size][/size]

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #4,751 of 8,735
Quote:

I will pile on at the risk of morphing the thread into music appreciation…. but only once.  (My tastes are pedestrian)
My fav's:

Buddy Guy & Jr. Wells "Alone and Acoustic" Sally Mae.  flac 44.1kHz/16bit

TrondheimSolistene "Mozart Violin Concertos"  flac 192kHz/24bit

Johnny Cash "The Man Comes Around" CD to ALAC

Elton John "Madman Across theWater"  flac 96kHz/24bit

Grateful Dead "American Beauty"  Box of Rain   flac 96kHz/24bit

Rolling Stones "12x5"  Confessin' the Blues   flac 88kHz/24bit

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #4,752 of 8,735
Quote:
I believe it stands for "Commercial Electronic Products" based on an excert from a AudiogoN forum thread I found.  As with everything on the internet, take this with a grain of salt...

"[size=x-small]04-25-02: Brf[/size]
[size=larger][size=small]These tubes sound awesome. I have a Sonic Frontiers Line 3SE with 10 NOS Valvo 6922. I replaced all 10 Valvos with the Amperex 7308s, and what a difference, especially in the deep bass and a more fleshed out natural midrange. The soundstage is huge with these tubes. I generally experience a subtle change when tube rolling, but this change was dramatic. Some tell me that changing all 10 tubes in my pre-amp with 7308 is overkill (instead of changing just the first two positions), but what the heck, you only live once.

USN-CEP - That is the older Navy code for Amperex Electronic Products. "C" is for Commercial. The remaining letter or letters identify a company:

CG = General Electric
CW = Western Electric
CRC = RCA (Radio Corporation)
CRP = Raytheon (Raytheon Production Corp)
CTL = Tung-Sol"[/size][/size]

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Cool !

I love this stuff.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #4,753 of 8,735
Quote:
My Lyr came from Audio Advisor with the NOS GEs.  I noticed an immediate improvement not just in treble, but across the board when I use either the Amperex Bugle Boys or the National / Matsu$hita 6922 tubes rolled into the amp. If your not happy with the treble give a different pair of tubes a try. 

I'm going to be trying out some Amperex Orange Globe's here next week, so we'll see how those do.

Quote:
what exactly do u mean abrasive? i use jj e88cc from amazon, not curved by schiit

I just mean that at times it can sound a bit edgy and grainy, and lacking detail in the treble.  Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound terrible, but there's room for improvement in its current setup (with NOS GE tubes).  

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #4,754 of 8,735
Just ordered a second Bifrost / Lyr combo for my wife's setup.
I gave her the LCD2's for Christmas.    I have the HD650's......for now....  I'm trying to like them.
This time the Bifrost has USB.

I looked and looked and looked at other choices in lower and upper price ranges just to have a different setup.
I looked at Bursen and NuForce etc. other popular Head Gear models .....

I couldn't get excited, so I stuck with a winner.
Now I guess I get to buy more tubes...
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #4,755 of 8,735
Hey guys,

Got my Lyr in the mail yesterday and pairing it with my LCD2r2s. Sounds quite wonderful, but then I discovered this thread and, well...

Any suggestions for tubes sub $100 for a PAIR that'll get me more bass? :wink: Thinking about orange globes or something similar; possibly even stretch a little and get the 6922s that mercedesman has on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back