Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #4,726 of 8,735
Quote:
Hey guys,

I currently have a pair of HE-500 and after lots of careful deliberation on an amp/ dac combo I think I'll be going with the Lyr/ Bifrost, although my budget could allow for more.

In light of me going well under my intended budget, I think I'd like to spoil myself with a pair of some top notch tubes. My music tastes are all over the place, all forms of rock and jazz, lots of instrumental music (including hip hop), some pop, classical music, bluegrass and pretty much anything relating to those genres.

Is there a standout pair of tubes that can be had for <$400 a pair (absolute max for my tube budget, and they'd have to be unbelievably good for me to pay that much) that matches my set up and music taste?

I would greatly appreciate links to reputable sites and I welcome all recommendations.

Currently considering:

Mullard CV4109 NOS - Matched Pair
Siemens E188CC/ 7803
Amperex 6922/ E88CC - Late 50s pair
Siemens CCa - West German production
Telefunken 6DJ8/ E88CC - Matched pair

anything else that would be good for my budget? looking for the BEST!

I don't suspect you'll get a consensus answer to your question.
There is no answer to which one will sound best.
 It's like muscle cars.  Dodge or Chevy?

I've only got one of them (tubes) and I like them very much.
Would I like to hear the others?  Damn straight.

You will have the same problem.
No matter which ones you pick, you will be haunted by not knowing how the other 4 will sound and you will end up buying all of them.

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #4,728 of 8,735
Drums, try the Amperex CEP USN tubes, there are several pairs on ebay right now. They sound very good with the music you have listed.

I can't disagree with that since I own them.
Strangely, I only own Amprex.

That said, the 1960 "D" getters are the Mac Daddies of my collection.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #4,729 of 8,735
Quote:
Just picked up a pair from them, Platinum grade, cryo added.

If I could get Harry Potter to enchant them, would have got that as well, LOL.

Also, got a pair of the Tungsram 6922 as well.

i have not really checked this thread, but i might come off as someone who question a gamer why he spend 100$ on a mouse---why spend more than 50$ on a pair of tube for an amp that cost less tha 500$, is it really not diminishing return and is it really worth it? what kind of cost and return graph am i looking at ? a hill that stops? exponential?

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #4,730 of 8,735
Quote:
i have not really checked this thread, but i might come off as someone who question a gamer why he spend 100$ on a mouse---why spend more than 50$ on a pair of tube for an amp that cost less tha 500$, is it really not diminishing return and is it really worth it? what kind of cost and return graph am i looking at ? a hill that stops? exponential?

My answer..
It's the hobby, within a hobby.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #4,731 of 8,735
Quote:

Because the amp allows tube rolling, thus tweaking the sound to your preference. That is, if you do so choose to roll 'em

Diminished returns are fast reached either way.

Other than that, there's no reason to. Which is why they made the O2. Er, Magni. 
tongue.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #4,733 of 8,735
Does anyone find the treble of the Lyr to be a bit "abrasive" with the stock GE tubes?  I noticed the same thing with the Gold Lion tubes as well, although it seems the GEs are better in that regard.  I'm starting to think it might just be a trait of the solid state amplifier stage, and a shortcoming of the amp itself.  Has anyone noticed this and been able to rectify this with the proper tubes?

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #4,734 of 8,735
Quote:
Does anyone find the treble of the Lyr to be a bit "abrasive" with the stock GE tubes?  I noticed the same thing with the Gold Lion tubes as well, although it seems the GEs are better in that regard.  I'm starting to think it might just be a trait of the solid state amplifier stage, and a shortcoming of the amp itself.  Has anyone noticed this and been able to rectify this with the proper tubes?

Vintage tubes certainly mellowed out my Lyr.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #4,735 of 8,735
Quote:

The "stock" GE and Gold Lion tubes are more recently manufactured tubes.  Having spoken with several people that like them, they do mellow out after a while but they need a lot of hours (then again for all I know, the listeners may have just been getting used to them).  I still believe the tube makes all the difference as the Lorenz I am using are not abrasive in any way...I would call them smooth and warm.  The problem I have is I used to have LCD-3's a while back and now (being a victim of unforeseen financial issues) I have the LCD-2's.  There's a bit of difference in their sound because the LCD-3 have better range extension and tend to fill out the bass and treble more than the LCD-2's.  But I do find the LCD-2's extremely engaging with the right tubes and a more than suitable set o' cans until I can get some LCD-3's again (or 4's, or 5's...).
wink_face.gif

Please remember that all this is IMHO and YMMV...
biggrin.gif

Cheers and Merry Christmas (or whatever holiday you observe)!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #4,736 of 8,735
Quote:
I don't suspect you'll get a consensus answer to your question.
There is no answer to which one will sound best.
 It's like muscle cars.  Dodge or Chevy?

I've only got one of them (tubes) and I like them very much.
Would I like to hear the others?  Damn straight.

You will have the same problem.
No matter which ones you pick, you will be haunted by not knowing how the other 4 will sound and you will end up buying all of them.

yeah i figure it will pan out like that, but why not start out hot?
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Drums, try the Amperex CEP USN tubes, there are several pairs on ebay right now. They sound very good with the music you have listed.

the opinion is much appreciated, my questions are frequently overlooked on these forums. maybe it's my lack of seniority?
Quote:
I can't disagree with that since I own them.
Strangely, I only own Amprex.
That said, the 1960 "D" getters are the Mac Daddies of my collection.

constantly hear good things about Amperex, perhaps i'll go that route.

Siemens CCa seem to be regarded extremely highly, anyone wanna chime in on those comparatively speaking to any of the other tubes i've got listed?

reputable websites/ sellers for tubes?

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #4,737 of 8,735
Quote:

what exactly do u mean abrasive? i use jj e88cc from amazon, not curved by schiit

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #4,738 of 8,735
Quote:

My Lyr came from Audio Advisor with the NOS GEs.  I noticed an immediate improvement not just in treble, but across the board when I use either the Amperex Bugle Boys or the National / Matsu$hita 6922 tubes rolled into the amp. If your not happy with the treble give a different pair of tubes a try. 

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #4,739 of 8,735
Quote:

Swooped the NIB set from Mercedesman :) thanks for the rec, can't wait to try em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back