Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #4,456 of 8,735
^^ That's a shame. At least you have a company like that within driving distance. Unfortunately for you, all that means is tax. 
mad.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #4,457 of 8,735
Quote:
.Audeze denied my request to drive over and listen to their headphones

I had to call.  After 3 days they never replied to my email

Quote:

Wow.....that was unexpected......what was their reasoning?  Do they have another local distributor that's willing to let you audition?

Quote:
They said it was insurance.  I think that's weak.  I'm not visiting a steel mill and I'm certain they at least have a break room.

I have my choice of an hour south or an hour and a half north to LA.

edit:
I'm going to make the purchase from AudioAdvisor, etc.  $80 to the state ain't gonna happen.
It's not fair for me to take up a merchant's time when I won't be purchasing.

Quote:
^^ That's a shame. At least you have a company like that within driving distance. Unfortunately for you, all that means is tax. 
mad.gif

They probably don't have a showroom or anything. I can understand. And it IS a liability to have non-employees in the factory if they don't have insurance for that. 

Did they refer to an authorized dealer in your area? 

Or, just buy them without auditioning, I don't think you will be disappointed!

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #4,458 of 8,735
If you're purchasing a pair, I'd recommend Headroom.....I've bought the HE500, HE-6, LCD-2, LCD-3, and HD800 from them, they'e been nothing but friendly and helpful and is willing to match any deals going around.  And best of all for me....tax free!

Shame about Audeze though, you could of asked to see if there's a disclaimer/release form to sign before auditioning.....being a business owner, I do somewhat understand the insurance aspects no matter how trivial....you just don't know what kind of people are out there these days.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #4,459 of 8,735
Exactly.

For me there are a couple of things here.  1) I haven't received a reply to emails sent on Monday.   Sales emails, not Support emails.
2) When I called in I asked for sales.  The person that answered the phone was.. what do you want I can help you.  OK it's a small company maybe the person that answers the phone handles sales.  I don't know.   It was clumsy dialog where I wasn't asked what product etc.   The person didn't try to "sell me."   Just clear the call.  3) If you buy it from the "factory" online you can return it within 30 days....... if you pay a 15% restock fee.

Audeze benefits wherever I may buy them.  Online or otherwise.   They gave me 2 dealers one an hour away one 1.5 hours away in Los Angeles.  They were visit by appt.  It would not be fair to take up their time and purchase them elsewhere.

Since Audeze charges a 15% return fee, maybe they sell factory refurbs.

Thanks for the referral to Headroom.
I will look them up

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #4,460 of 8,735
Dec 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #4,461 of 8,735
Quote:
I bought mine from  http://www.soundearphones.com

Free overnight shipping, and zero restocking fee on returns. 

The free overnight shipping and "normal" return policy is great.
I've been reading all the reviews HE-LE6, HD800, Beyer T1 and these review very well.
It also sounds like the comfort factor is better than anything but the HD-800

The LCD2's are what I want.

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #4,462 of 8,735
I received a reply.....  Since I torched them. it's only right that I post their reply.   I understand...

[size=medium] "I apologize for the delayed response. We usually dont get these type of requests, so it put our support folks in a fix. [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] We manufacture and assemble the headphones in fountain valley facility. This is not setup at the moment for retail. Moreover we dont have the necessary permits from the city and insurance to operate retail at this location. This is why we cannot accomodate potential customers from visiting/listening[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Cable Company one of our dealers has a program where you can get an LCD2/3 and listen to it in your home and then make a decision on it. If you want, we can put you in touch with them, let us know.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] thanks[/size]
[size=medium] Sankar"[/size]

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #4,463 of 8,735
Quote:
They said it was insurance.  I think that's weak.  I'm not visiting a steel mill and I'm certain they at least have a break room.

I have my choice of an hour south or an hour and a half north to LA.

edit:
I'm going to make the purchase from AudioAdvisor, etc.  $80 to the state ain't gonna happen.
It's not fair for me to take up a merchant's time when I won't be purchasing.

That is pathetic. Hopefully this won't detract you from gettin' a pair, they're wonderful cans.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #4,465 of 8,735
I do. what's your question?

I also have HE-6's and am using mullard cv2492's

Thanks for the reply.
Since, I've kept steady with the LCD2's
Since I've listened to none of them, (T1, HE-6, HD800), it's pretty much published reviews and posts.

Mostly on the HD800, not so much the HE-6 or T1.

All my tubes are Amprex as I've liked what I hear with my Lyr and HD650's
I read that the HE-6 like a speaker amp. For a minute I considered a Jolida SJ302a that's collecting dust.... But that would open up
Rolling 8 tubes.... EL34 , 12AX7 and 12AX7. I'm not going there.

Between the published reviews touting the LCD2 value and performance and their number one rand on Head-Fi. It seems like the safe choice.
But I'm all ears.... :)

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #4,466 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
Since, I've kept steady with the LCD2's
Since I've listened to none of them, (T1, HE-6, HD800), it's pretty much published reviews and posts.
Mostly on the HD800, not so much the HE-6 or T1.
All my tubes are Amprex as I've liked what I hear with my Lyr and HD650's
I read that the HE-6 like a speaker amp. For a minute I considered a Jolida SJ302a that's collecting dust.... But that would open up
Rolling 8 tubes.... EL34 , 12AX7 and 12AX7. I'm not going there.
Between the published reviews touting the LCD2 value and performance and their number one rand on Head-Fi. It seems like the safe choice.
But I'm all ears....
smily_headphones1.gif

For reference, I'll sum my very limited experience with LCD's

I was able to listen to the LCD2/LCD3/HD800 for about five minutes each, about 5 months ago on some amp, that I think was somewhat fancy but wasn't able to get the name of at the time.
From that time, I found that the LCD2 was much darker/thicker than the HD series, and the LCD3 was a less dark and thick, but still very smooth and "natural" sounding. (this is just for comparison for my impressions). The HD800 was much cleaner, a lot less bass, and more clarity/detail than LCD2 (a lot more) and LCD 3 (a bit more)

Now, within the HD800(the least time)/T1/HE-6 which I have gotten the chance to hear on the Lyr/Bifrost, I find in terms of

Overall Warmth HE-6>T1~HD800
Treble: HD800 (sparkly, clean ) >HE-6 ('easier' on the ears, but not as clean) ~T1(slightly not as clean as HD800, but still prominent)
Mids: HD800(cleaner, more resolution but still full)~HE6 (smoother, more liquidy, but loses some resolution) >>T1 (has good resolution, but sounds a little hollow)  (I think T1's have significantly worse mids)
Bass: HE6>T1>>HD800
Soundstage: HD800>T1>HE-6
Detail/Clarity: HD800>T1 >> HE-6 (improvement from the T1 is significantly more than from the T1 to the HD800)

To sum them up,

HE-6 is smooth, It has that same "natural" as my impression of the LCD-2, but not thick at all. As a result, a lot less bassy
T1- high resolution headphones with decent bass. (nothing close to the levels of LCD-2/3 though)
HD800 - high resolution/detail headphones with a fuller mid and more sparkly treble

Overall, the HE-6 is my favorite on the lyr/bifrost. I haven't gotten the chance to hear any of the other three on other amps, but it seems like the lyr can drive the HE-6's adequately. My volume knob rarely gets above half if that means anything. 

compared to the LCD-2/3, I didn't feel that the LCD2 was in the same overall quality headphone as the HD800's were. The LCD-3's seemed like in the same league as the HD800's, just a different sound signature. So including my impression from a while ago, In overall quality I feel that the HD800's, LCD-3, HE-6's are in the same league. The t1's are notably lower, and I think the LCD-2's would fall here as well.

let me know if you have a specific question.. thats kind of a summary.

edit: sorry for the derailment of the thread... I just realized =/ but to slightly put it back on track. Switching from the stock 6n1p tubes to the mullard cv2492's made a HUGE difference. More bass, smoother mids, a little better soundstage and clarity... I didn't really believe that tubes could make such a difference, but then after hearing it...

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #4,467 of 8,735
The Lyr may drive the HE-6 but does not define nearly its potential.  It's a night and day headphone when hooked up to a Mjolnir IMO in terms of the low end and the clarity/sound stage it opens.  My LCD-2 is on the way (going to be used for a transportable rig) so I can't comment on that, but from what I've heard on the LCD-3 and how people describe the differences, I think you'll be very happy with the LCD-2 in combination with the Lyr.  However, I want to throw a wrench in there.....and that's the HE-500 pairing with the Lyr.  IMO this combination really has great synergy and it's my go to headphone with the Lyr out of my assortment.  The remaining I prefer on the Mjolnir most the times unless I'm listening to some vocals that I prefer the "tube" sounds with.....the HD800 these days I don't prefer all that much.....as I mentioned before, too brutal and revealing and fatigues the listener without engaging them with the warmth/low end LCD-3/HE-500/HE-6 does.  I bet these HD800 would work great in a studio when you're trying to be analytical all day....but it doesn't give me much enjoyment.  IMO Iamnothim you should really be looking at the HE-500 or the LCD-2 for the Lyr.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #4,468 of 8,735
Quote:
The Lyr may drive the HE-6 but does not define nearly its potential.  It's a night and day headphone when hooked up to a Mjolnir IMO in terms of the low end and the clarity/sound stage it opens.  My LCD-2 is on the way (going to be used for a transportable rig) so I can't comment on that, but from what I've heard on the LCD-3 and how people describe the differences, I think you'll be very happy with the LCD-2 in combination with the Lyr.  However, I want to throw a wrench in there.....and that's the HE-500 pairing with the Lyr.  IMO this combination really has great synergy and it's my go to headphone with the Lyr out of my assortment.  The remaining I prefer on the Mjolnir most the times unless I'm listening to some vocals that I prefer the "tube" sounds with.....the HD800 these days I don't prefer all that much.....as I mentioned before, too brutal and revealing and fatigues the listener without engaging them with the warmth/low end LCD-3/HE-500/HE-6 does.  I bet these HD800 would work great in a studio when you're trying to be analytical all day....but it doesn't give me much enjoyment.  IMO Iamnothim you should really be looking at the HE-500 or the LCD-2 for the Lyr.

^^ This is good advice +1

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #4,470 of 8,735
Everybody,
Thanks for taking the time to provided me with your opinions and for diverting the tube thread with headphone brand discourse.
It really helped to cement my selection of the LCD2's.

I will try to stay on topic.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back