Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #4,426 of 8,735
Ohhh my you guys are stouting the Amperex Oran as good sounding tubes?... dear  they sound ok but pale in comparison to just about anything but he bottom of the barrel..
This thread has gone to hell....

Glad I was active when we really had a consensus on what good was... god you guys need help

It's the Good Humor Man.
I'd like a Klondike bar please.

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #4,428 of 8,735
Code:
Man this thread blew up since I last checked

dece870717 for bass, I'm still using RCA clear top or black plate 6fq7/6cg7. None of my other pairs have the bass extension.

iam, I think you are headed in the right direction I love my lcd2 with the lyr, especially if you enjoy the hd650. Wish my wife had any sort of interest in the hobby, she could take the lcd3 and force me to get an 009 :D

Scary, I have to kinda cringe when people are promoting the orange globes but as long as people are having fun then that's cool. Also there seems to be a consensus that they work well with the 650s, which I haven't tried them with.

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #4,431 of 8,735
How do you get them out?
They are just like a tube. Pins on one end sockets on the other.

The extender comes out with the tube when you pull it. Why? Because of increased leverage. Then you can easily remove the tube from the extender without damaging the pins.
Reverse the process to insert the new tube.
You will lose any advantage of a gold pin tube. That said I'd rather damage the pins on a $9 extender than a $100 tube.

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #4,432 of 8,735
Quote:
Good Info. Thanks.
Btw. Have you considered 12 step program or headphone intervention ?

No, seeing I just purchased the LCD-2 today as the trasportable setup with the ALO MK3 whenever black becomes available. =X

I'm going to say the set I enjoy the least thus far out of all the headphones have to be the HD-800.....it's just too brutal and revealing with my amps (I believe this is why most people call them bright) and doesn't provide any sort of punchy signature down low to engage the listener.  The Hifiman and Audeze products are all extremely nice options.....just certain ones tend to have better synergy with the Mjolnir.

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #4,433 of 8,735
Quote:
They are just like a tube. Pins on one end sockets on the other.
The extender comes out with the tube when you pull it. Why? Because of increased leverage. Then you can easily remove the tube from the extender without damaging the pins.
Reverse the process to insert the new tube.
You will lose any advantage of a gold pin tube. That said I'd rather damage the pins on a $9 extender than a $100 tube.

Do they protect your tube pins but not the amp socket at all, right?

Do they make the tubs/amp run any cooler since it places the tubes outside of the chassis?

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #4,434 of 8,735
Quote:

Do they make the tubs/amp run any cooler since it places the tubes outside of the chassis?

Well, the amp socket is very stout ceramic.  Nothing should happen to that.
It is much, much easier to remove a tube with the extender, but in a way I hadn't imagined.

I thought the extender would stay put but the tube would be easier to grasp and rock out of the extender.
Wrong.  The tube doesn't move when grasping it and rocking.  Only the extender rocking off the PCB tube socket.
Due to the leverage the rocking is controlled and gentle.

When you have the tube coupled to the extender in your hand it's a snap to remove the tube with very little force.  It's more pulling it straight off than rocking.
Perhaps that's up and down is better than rocking side to side.  No matter there is significantly less strain put on the tube pins.   It's also much faster.

To install the new tube I snap the extender on the tube and lower the assembly into the case and into the socket.  It's easier to guide the assembly into the Lyr
because it's easier to grasp.

Heat.  The tube certainly has more circulating air and there is less heat radiated inside the Lry.  The volume knob is significantly cooler.
The tubes are raised 3/4" and the diameter of the extender easily fits through the tube access holes on the top of the Lyr.

This setup might not work well with kids and cats and IMO does not look as nice as the stock Lyr.

I purchased the extenders from Brent Jessee Recording.  He's a very well respected tube source and resource.
http://audiotubes.com/books.htm

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #4,435 of 8,735
Quote:

Update....

I grabbed a tube, in the middle, that had been on 30 minutes and it was not at all unpleasant.  Held it 20 seconds, no problem.  

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #4,436 of 8,735
Quote:

No, seeing I just purchased the LCD-2 today as the trasportable setup with the ALO MK3 whenever black becomes available. =X

I'm going to say the set I enjoy the least thus far out of all the headphones have to be the HD-800.....it's just too brutal and revealing with my amps (I believe this is why most people call them bright) and doesn't provide any sort of punchy signature down low to engage the listener.  The Hifiman and Audeze products are all extremely nice options.....just certain ones tend to have better synergy with the Mjolnir.

I'm very glad you said that about the HD800.   I read another review that also said they were to clinical and hard to listen too.  Albeit their legendary accuracy.  He commented probably good for use in a studio.

If Audeze should happen to return my email, I might go listen to them.....  Lyr, Bifrost in tow.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #4,437 of 8,735
Quote:
Well, the amp socket is very stout ceramic.  Nothing should happen to that.
It is much, much easier to remove a tube with the extender, but in a way I hadn't imagined.

I thought the extender would stay put but the tube would be easier to grasp and rock out of the extender.
Wrong.  The tube doesn't move when grasping it and rocking.  Only the extender rocking off the PCB tube socket.
Due to the leverage the rocking is controlled and gentle.

When you have the tube coupled to the extender in your hand it's a snap to remove the tube with very little force.  It's more pulling it straight off than rocking.
Perhaps that's up and down is better than rocking side to side.  No matter there is significantly less strain put on the tube pins.   It's also much faster.

To install the new tube I snap the extender on the tube and lower the assembly into the case and into the socket.  It's easier to guide the assembly into the Lyr
because it's easier to grasp.

Heat.  The tube certainly has more circulating air and there is less heat radiated inside the Lry.  The volume knob is significantly cooler.
The tubes are raised 3/4" and the diameter of the extender easily fits through the tube access holes on the top of the Lyr.

This setup might not work well with kids and cats and IMO does not look as nice as the stock Lyr.

I purchased the extenders from Brent Jessee Recording.  He's a very well respected tube source and resource.
http://audiotubes.com/books.htm

Are the pins cryo-treated and silver-dipped for the best sound quality? Haha. :wink:

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #4,438 of 8,735
Quote:

Are the pins cryo-treated and silver-dipped for the best sound quality? Haha. :wink:

You can save $0.50 is you order them without that option.

Hey.... were talking state of the art Bakelite.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #4,439 of 8,735
Quote:
Update....

I grabbed a tube, in the middle, that had been on 30 minutes and it was not at all unpleasant.  Held it 20 seconds, no problem.  

Interesting. I wonder if the tubes will last longer since they seem to run cooler with extenders? Or am I just wishful thinking?

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #4,440 of 8,735
Quote:
Interesting. I wonder if the tubes will last longer since they seem to run cooler with extenders? Or am I just wishful thinking?

It's not a stretch to think that would be so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back