Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #4,396 of 8,735
Well MrScary.. seems like all of the good stuff is either gone or way out of my price range.  I was following this thread before I got my Lyr, latched onto some Lorenz and in my naivete, ended up selling them to fund my Bifrost. Anyway, this list was published a while back in this thread and has pretty much been one of my references. Not sure who wrote it but would like to give credit where credit is due.

Quote:

Honestly, I don't recommend the stock JJ E88CC tubes that Schiit offers; on the other hand, the stock GE 6BZ7 tubes are pretty good for their price IMO. However, you can get a much better performance out of your Lyr with proper tube rolling. If you're looking for some top-tier tubes, expect to spend at least around $150~200, possibly higher. Although people have different musical tastes and the results may vary depending on your audio chain, here are some tips:

1. Look for old, vintage tubes (preferably those made in the 5~60's) made by companies like Amperex, Siemens (also known as Siemens & Halske), or Lorenz (#1). These are arguably the most sought-after tubes in this forum. Each company's line of tubes has its unique sound signature, but I don't think you can go wrong with most of them.

2. Look for E88CC(=6922), E188CC(=7308), or CCa tubes from companies I mentioned above. E88CC are generally superior to ECC88(=6DJ8) tubes, and CCa are actually E88CC tubes that have been hand-picked among them to be of higher quality. E188CC is a superior version of E88CC and thus have a slightly different design, although some claim that certain E88CC and especially CCa rivals them in sonic quality. YMMV.

3. PCC88 tubes aren't recommened by Schiit because they use a different voltage (7V) compared to the other tubes (6V - Lyr's default voltage setting), but since Lyr auto-biases voltage, I haven't heard of anyone, including myself, have technical issues while using PCC88's. I haven't heard of PCC88 tubes made by Amperex or Siemens, but Lorenz PCC88 are well-known throughout this community as one of the best tubes out there for Lyr. Of course they have to be genuine, Germany-made tubes; not SEL rebranded ones.

4. If you're looking for Amperex tubes, make sure they were made in either USA or Holland. The best kinds of Amperex tubes have a "PQ (stands for premium quality)" logo in white color. These are called Amperex PQ White Labels, and are generally considered to be one of the best tubes out there. Holland tubes are rarer than American ones and therefore are of higher price, but honestly there isn't much difference between the two - both are very good. There is also something called a getter: while I can't say whether getters affect sound quality, D-shaped getters are somewhat more expensive than O-shaped or halo getters because they are older and rarer.

Some rare Amperex tubes have "pinched waists" instead of a typical, straight waist. These are manufacturing flaws, but some people claim that the pinched waist shape of these tubes make them sound better, so these "flawed" ones are actually more expensive than regular ones.

5. If you're looking for Siemens tubes, which should be made in Germany, try to look for tubes with "Gray Shields" instead of silver/chrome shields or no shield. Gray shields are the best of them - obviously having a shield is better than no shield, and the reason why gray shields are superior to silver(=chrome) ones is that they use some quality rare earth minerals - which makes their surface color gray compared to bare metallic shields. The same rule applies to Lorenz tubes.

6. As for Lorenz tubes, definitely look for #1 tubes - there is no comparison between #1 and #2. Gray Shields are preferable, as well as having 3-mica (or trimica) instead of 2-mica.

And here are a few examples of so-called 'best tubes':
• Amperex PQ White Label 6922, D-getter, Pinched Waist   
• Amperex PQ White Label 7308, O-getter
• Siemens & Halske E188CC, Gray Shield
• Siemens & Halske CCa, Gray Shield
• Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88 3-Mica, Gray Shield
• Mullard E88CC Tubes ~ $120
• Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8/ECC88 Holland

Quote:
Ohhh my you guys are stouting the Amperex Oran as good sounding tubes?... dear  they sound ok but pale in comparison to just about anything but he bottom of the barrel..
This thread has gone to hell....

Glad I was active when we really had a consensus on what good was... god you guys need help

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #4,397 of 8,735
Ohhh my you guys are stouting the Amperex Oran as good sounding tubes?... dear  they sound ok but pale in comparison to just about anything but he bottom of the barrel..
This thread has gone to hell....

Glad I was active when we really had a consensus on what good was... god you guys need help

Yo! Mr "Skull and Bones", we should cut these newcomers some slack.

We've all been through the learning curve before....

Don't you remember yourself raving about the Russian tubes before? LOL

To the others, he's the "resident evil" here . :wink:

Beneath his tough "he-man" exterior, he's actually a nice guy deep down.

Have fun tube rolling!

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #4,398 of 8,735
I've just received some fantastic news.
My wife loves my headphones (HD650) and want some for Christmas.

Can you spell U-P-G-R-A-D-E  !

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #4,399 of 8,735
Ok...  I'm so geeked.

Bifrost (toslink) to Lyr.  Right now Amprex  Orange / USA / Bugle Boys.

My max purchase would be Senn HD800's  I love the comfort factor.

What's a good fit with my kit?
Not that I don't like the 650's

Aldeze  ?
HiFiman  ?
Beyer ?

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #4,400 of 8,735
Quote:
I played The Police Synchronicity.

The tube are doing a great job with the fast continuous percussion. 
It's all there the deep base as well as symbols.

Keep in mind these are expensive tubes.
I have some Bugle Boys I can roll in if you like.  They're about $60 a pair.

So far, I only have Amprex. 

Thanks for the input, I have a few pairs of tubes and they all have something different to offer but none seem to be giving me the kind of bass I'm looking for. I have pairs of...

Electro Harmonix 6922EH

Telefunken E288CC costed me $250, offer awesome sound clarity but the bass is not good enough for my music, would work much better with other genres.

OTK 6N1P

General Electric 6BZ7

Out of the 4 pairs the OTK 6N1P seem to give me the closest bass I want, 6922EH is not as good in that respect but better clarity in overall sound. The 6922EH so far are the best for what I listen to, but I switch over to the E288CC when listening to my 2.1 pc speakers because I enjoy the added sound clarity and the subwoofer on these can give more than bass.  If I could just find that pair that could give me the clarity and bass I want, I'd get rid of all these other pairs in a heart beat. Just sick of trying to spend more and more money to try and see if maybe this pair could be it.

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #4,401 of 8,735
Quote:

Thanks for the input, I have a few pairs of tubes and they all have something different to offer but none seem to be giving me the kind of bass I'm looking for. I have pairs of...

Electro Harmonix 6922EH

Telefunken E288CC costed me $250, offer awesome sound clarity but the bass is not good enough for my music, would work much better with other genres.

OTK 6N1P

General Electric 6BZ7

Out of the 4 pairs the OTK 6N1P seem to give me the closest bass I want, 6922EH is not as good in that respect but better clarity in overall sound. The 6922EH so far are the best for what I listen to, but I switch over to the E288CC when listening to my 2.1 pc speakers because I enjoy the added sound clarity and the subwoofer on these can give more than bass.  If I could just find that pair that could give me the clarity and bass I want, I'd get rid of all these other pairs in a heart beat. Just sick of trying to spend more and more money to try and see if maybe this pair could be it.

Honestly.  
I think you need to go Solid State.
That is the fit for your music.
Liquidating your tubes might get you close.

You should get some other opinions.

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #4,402 of 8,735
Quote:
Ok...  I'm so geeked.

Aldeze  ?
HiFiman  ?
Beyer ?

I had the HD800s for a while and they are very comfortable headphones. But, bass lean and treble/soundstage accentuated (all the time). To me, the Audeze LCD2 is a better sound, although not as comfortable to wear for hours on end.  I also had some Beyer DT880 600 Ohm for a while and the treble was too harsh and metallic sounding for my liking. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #4,403 of 8,735
Quote:
Ok...  I'm so geeked.

Aldeze  ?
HiFiman  ?
Beyer ?

I have the HiFiman HE-500 and love them, used to have the HD650's but liking the HE-500's more. I'd love to sell the HE-500 and get some HE-6 but then I'd also have to sell the Lyr and go for another more powerful and more expensive amplifier. :-\

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #4,405 of 8,735
Quote:

Electro Harmonix 6922EH

OTK 6N1P

General Electric 6BZ7

Quote:
Honestly.  
I think you need to go Solid State.
That is the fit for your music.
Liquidating your tubes might get you close.

You should get some other opinions.

Bass can depend on your headphones and amp synergy.  I'm currently running Iamnothim's Amperex Orange Globe's in my Lyr and feel no lack of bass with the Audeze LCD2s. It's certainly authoratative when playing bass heavy music. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #4,406 of 8,735
Quote:
I had the HD800s for a while and they are very comfortable headphones. But, bass lean and treble/soundstage accentuated (all the time). To me, the Audeze LCD2 is a better sound, although not as comfortable to wear for hours on end.  I also had some Beyer DT880 600 Ohm for a while and the treble was too harsh and metallic sounding for my liking. 

That's great info.
I have wanted to try some planers for the longest time.
The Audeze and HiFiman fit the bill but I think comfort is about 40% factor.
Those look bulky but I've heard the sound is sweet.

I wanted to know how the pairing of tubes and planars worked out.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #4,408 of 8,735
Quote:
That's great info.
I have wanted to try some planers for the longest time.
The Audeze and HiFiman fit the bill but I think comfort is about 40% factor.
Those look bulky but I've heard the sound is sweet.

I wanted to know how the pairing of tubes and planars worked out.

I think they pair just beautifully. 

Jason at Schiit does too (about the Lyr):

"No, seriously, why do you need a 6 watt headphone amp?
Because you want unbelievable dynamics and openness, the kind that only near-infinite headroom can provide. Or you have orthodynamic headphones like those from HiFiMan and Audeze. Most orthos need a ton of power.:

from-
http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/about-lyr/

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #4,409 of 8,735
Quote:
I think they pair just beautifully. 

Jason at Schiit does too (about the Lyr):

"No, seriously, why do you need a 6 watt headphone amp?
Because you want unbelievable dynamics and openness, the kind that only near-infinite headroom can provide. Or you have orthodynamic headphones like those from HiFiMan and Audeze. Most orthos need a ton of power.:

from-
http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/about-lyr/

Cool.
I seem to recall now that's why I liked Lyr.  They had the power to drive planers.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #4,410 of 8,735
Right now I'm playing this, lossless on my LCD2's and Lyr:

The bass, guitar and soundstage are *very* involving. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back