Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #3,901 of 8,735
I must say this DeOxIT does wonders! Specifically I had slight buzzing sound from one of the channels using Amperex Bugle Boys tubes and a strong hum from one of my RCA  6BQ7A tubes. Scratcing the pins with a knife and fine sandpaper didn't help. After applying DeOxIT all bad symptoms are gone. 16 bucks well spent :)

The thing I bought is "CAIG DeOxIT D100 Power Booster Metal Electric Connection Cleaner, Enhancer, and Lubricant"

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #3,902 of 8,735
Just loaded up a pair  Matsu E88CC 6922 Japan - MINT NOS NIB Mullard Tooling
I ran them for a while before (they may have 40 hours on them) and found them sibilant with the HE400 and HD700 and the bass is a little flabby.
Frying my ears a bit even with the HE400
basshead.gif

Read/heard some good things about them - maybe just needs some burn in - how much burn in do they need?
Anyway - will let them run on their own for a day or two.

On another note, just ordered some Mullard CV2492 E88CC 6922 - M. Pairs Like New 1969-1978 Dimple Disc Getter 
Thought I'd give them a try.

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #3,904 of 8,735
Quote:
Just loaded up a pair  Matsu E88CC 6922 Japan - MINT NOS NIB Mullard Tooling
I ran them for a while before (they may have 40 hours on them) and found them sibilant with the HE400 and HD700 and the bass is a little flabby.
Frying my ears a bit even with the HE400
basshead.gif

Read/heard some good things about them - maybe just needs some burn in - how much burn in do they need?
Anyway - will let them run on their own for a day or two.

On another note, just ordered some Mullard CV2492 E88CC 6922 - M. Pairs Like New 1969-1978 Dimple Disc Getter 
Thought I'd give them a try.

I only have 4 sets - the original JJ's, kind of thin. Gold Lions, nice upgrade but I'd describe them as you describe the Matsu 6922's. Most disappointing, some cryo 6H23N's - flabby bass and no air. And the Matsu's (National), which I had settled on. Just ran thru all 3 again tonight since I'd changed my audio player (Fidelia - Mac - fantastic). Still came back to the Nationals, I love them. I'm just too cheap to get the higher end options, but of these 3 under $100 pair options they are BY FAR the best in my system. I pretty much preferred them from the first cold start, they have remained my favorites thru a DAC change and a player change. Did you deoxit the pins? I just re-did them tonight, always helps.

That said, I know others haven't liked them as well. 

Player: Fidelia
DAC: Bifrost
AMP: Lyr
Phones: LCD2 rev 2 + PS1000

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #3,905 of 8,735
i have the matsu nationals in right now.  havent had enough time to go through my colletion but i too have Gold lions, matsu 6922s, cryo 6h23s, matsu nationals, and realized i have a pair of mullards that i should throw in there soon.  

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #3,906 of 8,735
I have a feeling that I have a power noise problem.. when I turn on the fan in my office I get a hi pitch sibilance through the Lyr.
Was at a HeadFi meet yesterday and had the full setup offsite and didn't get it. The Lyr with the stock GE tubes sounded awesome.  So, off to buy a cheap power conditioner tomorrow. Settled on the Belkin PF30. We'll see how it goes.

As far as tubes go, once the new ones come in, this will be my collection:
• GE 6BZ7 stock from Schiit[size=medium]
• Amperex 6DJ8 / ECC88 - A-Frame, PQ label[size=medium][/size]
• Matsu****a E88CC 6922 Japan - MINT NOS NIB Mullard Tooling[/size]
[size=medium] • Mullard CV2492 E88CC 6922 - M. Pairs Like New 1969-1978 Dimple Disc Getter  [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Can't find deoxit in Canada (so far) - was about to order online but $35 shipping for a $15 product - no thanks! I'll keep looking.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
Edit - just found it - search is my friend - just specified Canada, doh!

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #3,907 of 8,735
I have a feeling that I have a power noise problem.. when I turn on the fan in my office I get a hi pitch sibilance through the Lyr.
Was at a HeadFi meet yesterday and had the full setup offsite and didn't get it. The Lyr with the stock GE tubes sounded awesome.  So, off to buy a cheap power conditioner tomorrow. Settled on the Belkin PF30. We'll see how it goes.

As far as tubes go, once the new ones come in, this will be my collection:
• GE 6BZ7 stock from Schiit
[size=medium]

• Amperex 6DJ8 / ECC88 - A-Frame, PQ label
[size=medium][/size]

• Matsu****a E88CC 6922 Japan - MINT NOS NIB Mullard Tooling
[/SIZE]
[size=medium]• Mullard CV2492 E88CC 6922 - M. Pairs Like New 1969-1978 Dimple Disc Getter  [/size]

[size=medium] [/size]

[size=medium]Can't find deoxit in Canada (so far) - was about to order online but $35 shipping for a $15 product - no thanks! I'll keep looking.[/size]

[size=medium] [/size]

Edit - just found it - search is my friend - just specified Canada, doh!

Man I just a had the same issue with a fan and the lyr, there was a noticeable click when you would change the speed of the fan and I could hear a high pitched tone when music wasn't playing. I bought a monster hts5100 conditioner off here for a good price and ifs completely cleared the problem, makes me wonder how much junk I was actually hearing before.
Is there a retailer in the states that carries deoxit? happen to be at lowes and don't see it

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #3,909 of 8,735
A couple of questions guys... nice to see this thread very active.

Ive asked before about the HE-500. I plan on getting them next month, and I would like to know something specifically bout tubes. 

I know that I will be loosing a big portion of the soundstage with the HE-500 (since it happens with all planar magnetics aparently, the K701s are known for it), but are there specific tubes that are good for the HE-500 that will have nice soundstage? Something within the reasonable price range, max $200. 

Are there any rules with tubes for planars? The HE-500 is slightly darker than the HE-6 and my K701... will the 2492 Mullards be sufficient or you suggest something else? I also have a pair of ECC88 Teslas which are quite entry level but I think they will handle darker cans better.

Another questions... what is halo getter? and those "getter" terms i see around? Im having a hard time finding anything bout it...

Thanks a lot,

Mike 

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #3,910 of 8,735
Hey mikiphile a few answers in no particular order. The getter is the ring shaped(typically) piece of metal that is suspended at the very top of the tube, maybe hard to see because of the metallic flashing that surrounds it. The getters purpose is to absorb unwanted gas inside the vacuum. As you have noticed there are different shapes, these do not affect the sound, only might indicate the age of the tube( "D" shaped is usually an older variety of tube).

I use audeze planar and haven't noticed any rules with them per se. I just roll tubes when I'm changing genres, like I would with 701.
I use the cv2493 with my orthos and it sounds pretty nice to me. You might be satisfied with how your Mullards sound and not need to upgrade, just gotta try them with the 500s

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #3,911 of 8,735
Quote:
A couple of questions guys... nice to see this thread very active.

Ive asked before about the HE-500. I plan on getting them next month, and I would like to know something specifically bout tubes. 

I know that I will be loosing a big portion of the soundstage with the HE-500 (since it happens with all planar magnetics aparently, the K701s are known for it), but are there specific tubes that are good for the HE-500 that will have nice soundstage? Something within the reasonable price range, max $200. 

Are there any rules with tubes for planars? The HE-500 is slightly darker than the HE-6 and my K701... will the 2492 Mullards be sufficient or you suggest something else? I also have a pair of ECC88 Teslas which are quite entry level but I think they will handle darker cans better.

Another questions... what is halo getter? and those "getter" terms i see around? Im having a hard time finding anything bout it...

Thanks a lot,

Mike 

I think you've been reading too much into internet comments. Not all planars lack soundstage. That's highly dependent on amplification and source..anyways.

The Mullards are some of the nicer or "better" tubes in your price range, imo. You could also look at scavenging a pair of Lorenz.
I know there are quite a few of us who are looking to off load our tubes to help finance Mjolnir.

As stated ad nauseam, the clear tops and black plates are a hit and miss. Depends on your taste, they're cheap and you've got a 50/50 chance at really liking them.
Some report having good results with the Tunsgram and SEL Lorenz, those are also good cheap alternatives.

If you're expecting for a dark can to sound "un-dark" by tube rolling, you'll be disappointed. Tubes will only impart so much flavor.
That's where EQ'ing can come into play, if you're into that...

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #3,912 of 8,735
Quote:
I think you've been reading too much into internet comments. Not all planars lack soundstage. That's highly dependent on amplification and source..anyways.

The Mullards are some of the nicer or "better" tubes in your price range, imo. You could also look at scavenging a pair of Lorenz.
I know there are quite a few of us who are looking to off load our tubes to help finance Mjolnir.

As stated ad nauseam, the clear tops and black plates are a hit and miss. Depends on your taste, they're cheap and you've got a 50/50 chance at really liking them.
Some report having good results with the Tunsgram and SEL Lorenz, those are also good cheap alternatives.

If you're expecting for a dark can to sound "un-dark" by tube rolling, you'll be disappointed. Tubes will only impart so much flavor.
That's where EQ'ing can come into play, if you're into that...

NO... i dont wanna undark the HE-500, just to fine-tune them a bit, thats exactly what im doing with my 701s. 

I was just worried cos i read (Mainly on Head fi) that the soundstage is narrower than most dynamic headphones. I really like my Mullards cos the vocals are very very smooth and the low end is more present.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #3,913 of 8,735
Quote:
NO... i dont wanna undark the HE-500, just to fine-tune them a bit, thats exactly what im doing with my 701s. 

I was just worried cos i read (Mainly on Head fi) that the soundstage is narrower than most dynamic headphones. I really like my Mullards cos the vocals are very very smooth and the low end is more present.

Ah, fine-tune, sorry for the misinterpretation. I think the Mullards are a fine tube, smooth, super liquid with good bottom. A Lorenz would bring out more
3 dimensionals and a heavier bottom end. A favorite of many Head-Fiers, including myself.

IME, only the HD800 really has a drastic soundstage comparatively. The T1 isn't much better than the HE-500 or LCD-2 and definitely not 
bigger or better than LCD-3 or HE-6. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #3,914 of 8,735
Quote:
I must say this DeOxIT does wonders! Specifically I had slight buzzing sound from one of the channels using Amperex Bugle Boys tubes and a strong hum from one of my RCA  6BQ7A tubes. Scratcing the pins with a knife and fine sandpaper didn't help. After applying DeOxIT all bad symptoms are gone. 16 bucks well spent :)

The thing I bought is "CAIG DeOxIT D100 Power Booster Metal Electric Connection Cleaner, Enhancer, and Lubricant"

I use DeoxIT D5 for my tube pins and contacs with absolutely great results.

Enyoing the following tubes right now with my Lyr and the cardas recabled HD 600

http://www.tubemonger.com/Siemens_MPs_1974_E88CC_6922_A_Frame_Gold_Pin_MINT_p/857.htm

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #3,915 of 8,735
Quote:

I use DeoxIT D5 for my tube pins and contacs with absolutely great results.

Enyoing the following tubes right now with my Lyr and the cardas recabled HD 600

http://www.tubemonger.com/Siemens_MPs_1974_E88CC_6922_A_Frame_Gold_Pin_MINT_p/857.htm

Fantastic tubes, great choice , two of  my favorites. I ran those and the Lorenz pretty consistently for a while. My new flavor are  the Mini-watt  6BQ7As, i just love the way they sound in the Lyr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back