Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #3,932 of 8,735
I tried some Telefunken E288CC tubes in my Lyr, and fell in love with the amp all over again. Warmth and crystal clarity, dead silent, too. My HD600's work great with them. If only they weren't so pricey, I'd buy several pairs of them.

I would love to have a pair of those, every time I find some they are like $400 a pair. Good to hear they have such synergy with the lyr, i may have to keep looking.

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #3,933 of 8,735
You can find them on ebay for $250/matched pair. There are several for sale on there now. Very stout construction, so they should last many thousands of hours.

BTW, has anyone here tried the ECC189 tube in the Lyr? I see tons of them listed at cheap prices and wondered if they are a good low-buck alternative to the E88CC tubes.

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #3,934 of 8,735
Quote:
You can find them on ebay for $250/matched pair. There are several for sale on there now. Very stout construction, so they should last many thousands of hours.

BTW, has anyone here tried the ECC189 tube in the Lyr? I see tons of them listed at cheap prices and wondered if they are a good low-buck alternative to the E88CC tubes.

You've been quoted on that.

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #3,935 of 8,735

Thanks for the heads up. The ecc189 is the same as the ecc88 except for a variable mu(gain). I don't know how the lyr would act with it. I would probably just save my money for more telefunkens:wink:

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #3,936 of 8,735
Quote:
Almost exclusively buying from Upscaleaudio under $120 seems sketchy, unless they are used.

Exactly what i thought... but it says a matched pair so.. Btw, arent they supposed to be slightly cheaper if they don't test well or if they arent matched? Its hard to find them cheaper even if you buy them individually. 

I have mine for like 3 months now and I am immensely pleased. The only tube to compare them to is the Tesla ECC88 which is not so good. I am actually interested in Telefunken or the Lorenz Stuttgart everyone is talking bout.. (not sure of the exact models) I intend to save up maybe.

The problem in this hobby is that you dont know what to save up for FIRST... damn
k701smile.gif

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #3,937 of 8,735
First post in this thread, just got a used Lyr, it had the stock JJ tubes, I picked up a set of 6CG7 RCA clear tops and rolled them in, things seem to be a bit clearer, got to figure out what to try next that's not to expensive.

Aug 20, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #3,938 of 8,735
Quote:
First post in this thread, just got a used Lyr, it had the stock JJ tubes, I picked up a set of 6CG7 RCA clear tops and rolled them in, things seem to be a bit clearer, got to figure out what to try next that's not to expensive.

I own both RCA 6CG7 black plates and GE gray plates.  The GE's are more transparent to my ears and better all around.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #3,940 of 8,735
Off the top of my head, I'd say the GE's, however it's been a good 9 months since rolling them.  This evening, time permiting, I'll roll both sets so I'm not guessing.

I believe I purchased both matched pair from Tube Depot for around $5.00 per pair, but again I'd have to check my records.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #3,942 of 8,735
Earlier today I ordered a pair of Telefunken ECC189s and a pair of Valvo PCC189s.  Only just noticed the advice that they be avoided, but I only paid $40.00 a pair for each. 

Do I risk any damage to my Lyr by rolling them in?

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #3,943 of 8,735
Quote:

ECC189. I have not played with those tubes per se because their variable mu nature is really dicey.

Based on theory, there is a certain range whereby the ECC189 tube exhibits linear sonic qualities.
This is highly dependent on the tube amp.

If you know the exact B+ voltage for the Schitt Lyr, in theory, one can then check the ECC189 datasheet and then decide.

Re: ECC189 & PCC189 compatibility with Lyr

Have just emailed Jason Stoddard @ Schiit to find out B+ voltage and downloaded datasheets for ECC189 and PCC189 (although of different brand). 

I have a few questions for the in-house gurus (Lord Soth especially)

• B+ voltage is plate (anode) voltage, yeah?
  • What is the effect of using a variable gain tube such as these in a single voltage gain stage amp such as the Lyr?  Could it cause damage to the amp or tubes, or will it just affect the sound quality?
  • What is meant by the phrase "linear sonic qualities"?  What are the two variables with the linear relationship and how will this impact performance?
  • How do I compare the B+ voltage with the datasheets to determine a theoretical compatibility?

Sorry if these are novice questions, but I haven't even received my Lyr yet and haven't started the tube rolling adventure. 

Thanks in advance.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #3,944 of 8,735
Earlier today I ordered a pair of Telefunken ECC189s and a pair of Valvo PCC189s.  Only just noticed the advice that they be avoided, but I only paid $40.00 a pair for each. 

Do I risk any damage to my Lyr by rolling them in?

I don't think it would damage anything, just wasn't sure how it would sound. What do i know. Your the guinea pig on this one, if you want to try them I would definitely like to hear your impressions

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #3,945 of 8,735
Call me crazy people, but I think I'm actually preferring the JJ's over the Ge 6BZ7s.  The JJs just have a more detailed sound to my ears.  If you're going for a more lush, rolled off sound, the GE's are great.  One problem with the GE's also, is they seem to have a bit more gain than the JJ's, which is bad for the Lyr if you're using anything other than the HE-6.

Edit: Hmm actually I'm not really sure anymore.  I think it's hard for me to say that one is "better" than the other.  The JJ's sound more extended in the treble, but the GE's seem to have mids that are more liquid, which is a nice match for the HD700s, since the mids can be a bit pulled back with the HD700s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back