Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #3,962 of 8,735
No.  I bought them with a lyr for $550.00 and don't know what they are worth.  I have no intention of making a profit and am not even really sure how much I paid for them as they came with the amp.  What do you think I should list them for?  I want to use the sale to partly fund a Bifrost.  My preference would be that they go to someone who would really like to hear them, doesn't already own a set and might normally be too expensive for them.  That's the reason for posting the way I did.  

I am sorry I posted here. Would have gone to eBay for a profit.  I just wanted to help the community in a fun way.  Sorry that it came across as tacky.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #3,963 of 8,735
Quote:
No.  I bought them with a lyr for $550.00 and don't know what they are worth.  I have no intention of making a profit and am not even really sure how much I paid for them as they came with the amp.  What do you think I should list them for?  I want to use the sale to partly fund a Bifrost.  My preference would be that they go to someone who would really like to hear them, doesn't already own a set and might normally be too expensive for them.  That's the reason for posting the way I did.  

I am sorry I posted here. Would have gone to eBay for a profit.  I just wanted to help the community in a fun way.  Sorry that it came across as tacky.

Lorenz are pretty rare, sell 'em for $400 flat. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

OR

$240 for 2 pairs. That's $120 per pair. 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #3,964 of 8,735
A very interesting set of NOS tubes that can be had fairly cheap and are in the realm of the Lorenz are the Philips Miniwatt 6BQ7As. They have very plush mids and  smooth highs(reminiscent of the Lorenz). The only thing they lack a bit in is the bass impact, but I am not sure as of yet if that is because of the forward mids blending the sound  or a true lack of impact. I am only about 20-30 hours in and these were NOS so if anything changes down the road I will post impressions.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #3,966 of 8,735
This might also be another silly question but this is my first tube amp. If you have two identical tubes installed should one be glowing more than the other? For some reason the tube in the back hardly gives off any visible light despite being the same type of tube installed in the front.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #3,967 of 8,735
Quote:
This might also be another silly question but this is my first tube amp. If you have two identical tubes installed should one be glowing more than the other? For some reason the tube in the back hardly gives off any visible light despite being the same type of tube installed in the front.

I've noticed this on some tubes of mine in the past, but never thought to ask anyone about it.  On the ones that I did notice that had differing brightnesses, I didn't notice any problems with the sound.

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #3,968 of 8,735
1 x pair Lorenz Stuttgard PCC88, gray shield, squat, OM, no label
1 x pair Lorenz Stuttgard PCC88 gray shield squat (with Lorenz label) - getter in one of these tubes has come loose

Purchased from MrRogers via Kremer930

I will put these up in the sale section of the forum when I am able at $240.00 for the lot.  Thanks for your help.

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #3,969 of 8,735
Just in support of W0lfd0g... These tubes were bought from MrRogers and have seen less than 10 hours use in total. I was hoping that he wouldn't have to sell them and could keep them with the Lyr but he is stuck between keeping the tubes or getting a Bifrost.

The tubes are getting hard to find hence why I never used them. I used the Amperex A frames with the orange writing.

I don't see any issues here with flipping for a profit. He bought a package of things and doesnt actually know the component prices. It is just a shame that he has to sell them...

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #3,970 of 8,735
Well I just ordered a match, cryo pair of the Gold Lion 6922's.  I know these aren't the end-game for this amp, but I need an affordable upgrade over the GE tubes.  I sent an email to Jason from Schiit Audio about my GE tubes being bad (getting a high pitch noise in the right channel) and responded quickly, saying he'll be shipping out new ones right away.  I didn't want to take any chances with those GEs being bad too, so I'm getting the Gold Lions.  Should be interesting to hear the improvement.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #3,971 of 8,735
Quote:
I don't see any issues here with flipping for a profit. He bought a package of things and doesnt actually know the component prices.

Quote:
Found my Tubemonger invoice.  NOS pair cost $70.00 USD per tube, $4.00 USD shipping, totaling $144.00 USD per pair.  Used tubes warrant a markdown.

$240 for the lot seems fair, assuming the fourth tube works.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #3,972 of 8,735
Quote:
Well I just ordered a match, cryo pair of the Gold Lion 6922's.  I know these aren't the end-game for this amp, but I need an affordable upgrade over the GE tubes.  I sent an email to Jason from Schiit Audio about my GE tubes being bad (getting a high pitch noise in the right channel) and responded quickly, saying he'll be shipping out new ones right away.  I didn't want to take any chances with those GEs being bad too, so I'm getting the Gold Lions.  Should be interesting to hear the improvement.

Dayum, wish you'd have something earlier.  I've got a matched pair GLs in storage I'd made you a hellofadeal on.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #3,973 of 8,735
Quote:
1 x pair Lorenz Stuttgard PCC88, gray shield, squat, OM, no label
1 x pair Lorenz Stuttgard PCC88 gray shield squat (with Lorenz label) - getter in one of these tubes has come loose

Purchased from MrRogers via Kremer930

I will put these up in the sale section of the forum when I am able at $240.00 for the lot.  Thanks for your help.

$240 is dead on. I'm willing to bet the other Lorenz owners here bought their tubes for $120. Now
if you'd care to be transparent maybe you'd confirm or deny that is what you paid Kremer. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #3,974 of 8,735
Quote:

$240 for the lot seems fair, assuming the fourth tube works.

All you folks need some Major therapy when spending over $30 for a pair of tubes. imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back