Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #3,887 of 8,735
Hello guys,

my volume knob on my Lyr got fixed. Everything alright!!!

Now i´m enjoying my Amperex PQ 7308 White Label - made in USA and i can´t get away the big smile on my face
beyersmile.png

A pleasure to hear them with my HE5-LE  Not the biggest bass, but a very large soundstage and damn - these ones are dead quiet!!

Thanks to songmic for these great tubes!!!

@Mike

Sadly your tubes have not arrived yet.Maybe by the end of the week....

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #3,888 of 8,735
Quote:
Hello guys,

my volume knob on my Lyr got fixed. Everything alright!!!

Now i´m enjoying my Amperex PQ 7308 White Label - made in USA and i can´t get away the big smile on my face
beyersmile.png

A pleasure to hear them with my HE5-LE  Not the biggest bass, but a very large soundstage and damn - these ones are dead quiet!!

Thanks to songmic for these great tubes!!!

Glad to know you're enjoying those tubes! I guess I won't be coming to thread anymore, as I'm selling my Lyr and buying a new solid-state amplifier to drive my newly bought Fostex TH900. Although I'll be missing the amount of time (and money) I've spent on tube rolling, hehe.

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #3,889 of 8,735
Quote:
Hi Mikek200,

just like to confirm that you are using 6CG7 in the Lyr as equivalent to 6922, thanks.

????

Yes,I am using the 6CG7 on my Lyr...the 6922 work as well..

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3,892 of 8,735
Can it drive the LCD-2, as the gain of 6CG7 is much lower than 6922 and how's the overall sound? 

I noticed that they read about 7-10ma which concerned me that it would be underpowered,so I asked member misterrogers, who knows a few things about tubes. His response was that the lyr is a current mode auto bias amp, so it compensates. It's out of the lyrs operating point but sounds very good.
He was right it takes the same volume to push them and they(cleartop/blackplates)sound very good with my lcd2 as well IMO.

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #3,893 of 8,735
Quote:
Well, my Mullard CV2493 are putting out a line noise sound, switching them out it goes away. 
I cleaned the tubes with some alcohol and cotton swabs. Any other suggestions to salvage them? 
frown.gif

Ohh no tubes going never know when its like why do some go quick and others just never burn up? hehe did you use detoxit on the pins?  I suspect they are just going nothing ya can do now in some cases as Mike saw when I shipped him some tubes if they get jiggled around alot then sometimes a few hours of burn in clears it up if the noise is consistent not going away
use them as weapons if you get pissed like put a microhole in them and fill them with Gas. now you have  nice little bomb :wink:

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #3,894 of 8,735
Quote:
Ohh no tubes going never know when its like why do some go quick and others just never burn up? hehe did you use detoxit on the pins?  I suspect they are just going nothing ya can do now in some cases as Mike saw when I shipped him some tubes if they get jiggled around alot then sometimes a few hours of burn in clears it up if the noise is consistent not going away
use them as weapons if you get pissed like put a microhole in them and fill them with Gas. now you have  nice little bomb :wink:

Yep, detoxit didn't fix 'em. So they're just gone. 
mad.gif

I am a nice guy. So I don't build bombs. 
tongue.gif
 However I could see me in a fit of rage chucking my beloved, yet broken Mullards at traffic. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #3,895 of 8,735
If the pins have a significant amount of oxidation build up, try fine emery cloth torn into a thin strip.  Gently run the strip 360 degrees around each pin, then wipe the pins with electrical contact cleaner.
*EDIT*

Do not use this proceedure on gold pins!!!!

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #3,896 of 8,735
Quote:
If the pins have a significant amount of oxidation build up, try fine emery cloth torn into a thin strip.  Gently run the strip 360 degrees around each pin, then wipe the pins with electrical contact cleaner.
*EDIT*

Thanks, Rope. I'll make a trip to HD or Lowe's tomorrow. 

EDIT: And to no avail, no miracle story here. I'm still pissed off and looking forward to SS gear. 
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #3,899 of 8,735
Quote:
So has anybody tried some Genalex Gold Lion 6922/e88cc valves? how are they?

See man there is your answer nobody wants them they are ok man I personally have revisted them I bought two sets way over a year ago and I just found the other set they sound ok with closed ear phones I think they suck arse with Open headphones but thats my opinion... Buy them from Rope I think I will save mine never know someday another amp may come out with tubes that are not commodity tubes..  yeah right we are going solid state sad but true :frowning2: luckily there are some killer tubes being remade in the Audio production world so we will always have some for making music... just listening that the prob not enough market ;(

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #3,900 of 8,735
Quote:
*EDIT*

The CV2492/2493 should all be gold pins!

Quote:
Thanks, Rope. I'll make a trip to HD or Lowe's tomorrow. 

EDIT: And to no avail, no miracle story here. I'm still pissed off and looking forward to SS gear. 
tongue.gif

If it's the pins you could always try Deoxit Gold GX (you can get it in the Deoxit Vacuum Tube Survival Kit, the one rated for tubes...it's the aircraft one.)  Or the harsh conditions one...Deoxit....can't remember the series but it's the green one.  It's for harsh environments, also more of a lube/protectant.

But I do suspect your 2493's are just fizzling.  One of my 2492's have a slight hiss, as do one of my Tungsrams, but it's not horrible, and it's easy to ignore.  But yours...yeah...sounds like a failing tube
frown.gif
  On the other hand there's some other great tubes out there!  It's not the loss of your favorite tube, it's an opportunity to experience new tubes!
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back