Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #3,856 of 8,735
Quote:

Hi Mr.S...
Good to see your post.

That was my thoughts as well...you have to remeber,that Jesse's tubes have a money back gaurentee..this might have something to do with it..NO?
Many of his tubes are ..NOS,and thoroughly tested before they are shipped...unlike e-bay.

I did a comparison test between the 6922's & my mica-3's,on a variety of music,and ..although the 6922's are an excellent tube...not sure, they run in 2nd place to the lorenz??
This on ..lcd-2s/Lyr combo.....,but,on another headphone/amp combination..it could be totally different.???

Mike I dont care if he coated them in 24k Gold paper they still are not worth that much I surely myself would not put the E88CC/6922's anywhere neat the Lorenz they are good tubes but not in the same ballpark IMHO they are radically different in sound to the CCa's and the later year Simens the 70's E88CC/6922's are harsh and nasty tubes so take all these tube sellers with a grain of salt I do the research compare prices and buy... Thats when I did buy I have so many now that I should make a wall ornament.... IMHO  ÖÖ

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #3,857 of 8,735
Every tube I looked at since I joined this forum ,has gone up in price.

I've dropped $2500.00 in the last 7 months ,on tubes,alone.
MY wife says ,if she sees any more tubes being delivered..she going to put all of them in the toaster oven..

I saw a Siemens tubes ,listed on e-bay for $499-

Are you going t tell me thats what they used to go for ,last year..I dont think so..
The only reason I bought my first Lorenz,was because YOU, offered it to me for such a low price....I'd have been an idiot  not to buy..that was 6 months ago..

Do you feel the lcd-3's are worth ...$3000.00..or Stax...$9000.00..??.

Thats why I got so excted about the 6CG7,clear tops,& blackplates..I felt these are good tubes at a very low price..even MrRogers had good things to say.,about them,& he's an expert on tubes-like you.
But I got bashed for pushing them..all the time

I must have 10 pairs of these,from  all different e-bay sellers,&.... Brent Jesse,who sold me his at the highest price of all of them,but,I'm convinced at $70.00 ..they are a steal..do they sound like a CCa,or Mica-3,of course not.,but I will not hesitate to use them ,with certain headphones and certain tubes...just my preference,my wallet.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #3,858 of 8,735
I would not myself change out the caps it would be a negliglbe difference and void your 5 year warranty with Schitt.. Now maybe when I do decide to upgrade my Lyr maybe I will play with it but caps haha thier is so much debate on that... Its not even worth mentioning

Why would it not be worth mentioning? Every popular tube amp made (especially for headphones) has had someone upgrade thier coupling caps. This amp inparticular has the cap in a position where the sound is influenced, its similiar to cap rolling a tube DAC output (see the Havana thread) before a SS amp, only the difference here its better because the mosfet stage has a higher input impedance so you can use a .47uf cap. This is a very well designed hybrid, very good. Here is a photo of my stock coupling capacitor, you can see that it desoldered cleanly (quality PCB unlike some of the overseas amps): http://i50.tinypic.com/dp8w06.png . If you have experience with soldering I don't know why you would worry about the warranty on a $500 amp if you're spending more than that on tubes. Of course if you don't have the experience don't roll the caps the risk is shorting one or more the 4 output mosfets which cost a few dollars a piece. Overall can't think of anything on the amp in general (cap rolling aside) that could go bad that it would be worth the trouble of sending it out for warranty (IOW it would be easier to fix about anything on this amp yourself.) Its well designed and easily serviced, will last a lifetime (the powersupply 'lytic caps will need changed in what about 8 years?). Obviously its an individual decision and opinion but mine is revelant to the thread that you aren't hearing an expensive tube's full potential until you upgrade the cap immediatly following it in the signal path. Now if you are running a odd ball tube at a high distortion operating point for the extra 2H distortion then yes I wouldn't bother with caps . But if you are spending hundreds or thousands on pinched waste amperex you really should consider upgrading the capacitors, if you don't know how take it to a soldering tech. But anyone who has built a Millet hybrid should be able to handle a cap roll if they take the precautions to insulate the leads and place it far from the tube as possible. There are risks in any mod. The toughest part is finding a cap that is an upgrade that can be made to fit and not overheat. That's a personal decision also, someone mentioned the russian KY42's, these would not be worth the hassel, possibly the KY40 but even the 200V version is pretty big.. The vitamin Q caps made a huge improvement to my ears, more than the difference between National Japanese 6DJ8 vs Amperex orange a-frame tubes. Just google vitamin Q + tube amp if you aren't familiar with these and their synergy with classic tubes. As far as the 6GC7 and "bashing." This tube in this amp sits is a very low current (low bias) section of the 6GC7's curve. So you lose a lot of transductance vs 6DJ8's If you are using headphones with low impedance and high sensitivity then the increased distortion won't be huge because the tube isn't swinging much voltage (this is one advantage of mosfet output over transformer output). But if you are using Hifiman's where you are swinging 3Vrms or more on the output, the 6GC7's just don't sound good to me because the tube is in such a non-linear operating point. Earlier in this thread I posted the Harmonic distortion FFT of this amp with 6DJ8's outputing 1W into 38 ohms, the amp measured very very good for this high power output in comparison to other hybrids and just about any tube amp.) To top this amplifier's performance at 1W with a 1W SE no NFB, its just about impossible without spending at least athousand for parts. As far as the Lorenze tubes made on Holland tooling being talked about did I order the right ones:1968 MPs MINT NOS Lorenz SEL Label with Bundeswehr Falcon Logo Same Date Batch 08K - Nish Yugoslavia ? I haven't found any info on Lorenze other than this thread, saw nothing at the usual tube forums. I've heard Ei's before but I think they were 90's production and not Holland tooling http://www.tubemonger.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=801 ? Thanks

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #3,859 of 8,735
Quote:
.As far as the Lorenze tubes made on Holland tooling being talked about did I order the right ones:1968 MPs MINT NOS Lorenz SEL Label with Bundeswehr Falcon Logo Same Date Batch 08K - Nish Yugoslavia ? I haven't found any info on Lorenze other than this thread, saw nothing at the usual tube forums. I've heard Ei's before but I think they were 90's production and not Holland toolinghttp://www.tubemonger.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=801?Thanks

While the SEL Lorenz aren't so terribly bad, they're not the "famed" Lorenz we talk about.

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #3,861 of 8,735
Sorry no nobbie question: if I use the Lyr, I have to wait a period of time (20 mintutes) before I actually can listen to my can.
Is that correct for every tube amp?

Thank you.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #3,862 of 8,735
Quote:
Sorry no nobbie question: if I use the Lyr, I have to wait a period of time (20 mintutes) before I actually can listen to my can.
Is that correct for every tube amp?

Thank you.

No, you don't have to wait any amount of time. Tubes warmup within an hour and will give you the best sound, but you can listen straight upon turn on.

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #3,863 of 8,735
If you'd like the best sonic quality for critical listening, turn your gear on 1/2 hour before listening.  However, as pradoxper stated, in no way will it harm your gesr to listen at power on.

The above goes for any amplifier, SS, tube, or hybrid.  Best sonic results is acheived at operating temperature.

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #3,864 of 8,735
Quote:
Mike I dont care if he coated them in 24k Gold paper they still are not worth that much I surely myself would not put the E88CC/6922's anywhere neat the Lorenz they are good tubes but not in the same ballpark IMHO they are radically different in sound to the CCa's and the later year Simens the 70's E88CC/6922's are harsh and nasty tubes so take all these tube sellers with a grain of salt I do the research compare prices and buy... Thats when I did buy I have so many now that I should make a wall ornament.... IMHO  ÖÖ

Scary dude, you still scare me.
wink_face.gif

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #3,867 of 8,735
True that! This is pretty much what I dow with my A/V system and headphone systems. Especially with the Lyr.
Quote:
If you'd like the best sonic quality for critical listening, turn your gear on 1/2 hour before listening.  However, as pradoxper stated, in no way will it harm your gesr to listen at power on.

The above goes for any amplifier, SS, tube, or hybrid.  Best sonic results is acheived at operating temperature.

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #3,869 of 8,735
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back