Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #3,841 of 8,735
Quote:
Send 1 matched pair, we'll call it even.
biggrin.gif

You damn HEATHENS! I guess I really only need 1 pair, right?

EDIT: Forget it...I don't even need the 1 pair. My good works will pay off in the end.

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #3,845 of 8,735
Quote:
I've made my greed for Lorenz well known.

But to be fair....I only have 6 pairs of Stuttgart's and 2 pairs of the Nish.

Quote:
I second that in test I have done over and over

Brent Jesse from audio tubes replied to my inquiry about a alternative to the Lorenz with the following:

[size=12pt] [size=11pt]WE have the very nice and rare PCC88 by Amperex/Philips Holland in stock,  from the early 1960s.  These are $160.00 USD per matched pair or $75.00 each for single tubes.  They have a bit more midrange body than the Lorenz tubes and are just as quiet and smooth.[/size][/size]

[size=12pt] [size=11pt] [/size][/size]

[size=12pt] [size=11pt]A better tube would be the 6922 early 1960s vintage Siemens from Germany.  These are low noise industrial quality gold pin tubes.  They are $230.00 per matched pair or $115.00 each.[/size][/size]

[size=12pt] [size=11pt]All are new old stock, tested, and guaranteed.[/size][/size]

[size=12pt]  [/size]

[size=12pt] Any comments from you LCD-2 owning tube whores?[/size]

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #3,846 of 8,735
Quote:

Brent Jesse from audio tubes replied to my inquiry about a alternative to the Lorenz with the following:

[size=12pt] [size=11pt]WE have the very nice and rare PCC88 by Amperex/Philips Holland in stock,  from the early 1960s.  These are $160.00 USD per matched pair or $75.00 each for single tubes.  They have a bit more midrange body than the Lorenz tubes and are just as quiet and smooth.[/size][/size]

[size=12pt] [size=11pt]A better tube would be the 6922 early 1960s vintage Siemens from Germany.  These are low noise industrial quality gold pin tubes.  They are $230.00 per matched pair or $115.00 each.[/size][/size]

[size=12pt] [size=11pt]All are new old stock, tested, and guaranteed.[/size][/size]

[size=12pt]  [/size]

K Dexter, since you don't own the LCD-2 nope, no comments for you. 
tongue.gif

The Amperex Holland was a tube I'd figure was quite good. Ask Mrscary, Mrrogers, Lord Soth
for more details on 'em, since they are a tube I've missed out on.

The Siemen's are generally highly revered, as stated in previous post
usually 1. Siemen's 2. Lorenz. vice versa. My favorite pair of Siemen's were the A-frames,
but they were traded to a fellow Head-Fier.  Nice soundstage, strong details and a little bit warm.
forward, extended highs, they are just an all around hit for the LCD-2.

I'd however recommend the Mullard CV2493, I just find them every bit as good as the CCa's I've heard.

I rank them 1. Lorenz PCC88 Lorenz Stuttgart 2-mica/3-mica. 2. Mullard CV2493 3. Siemen's A-frames.

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #3,849 of 8,735
Quote:
Remember, in this contest we call life, the one who dies with the most tubes wins.  So, never, ever give up tubes, especially if they're Lorenz Stutts.
beerchug.gif

Well, you see...someone wants to buy some Lorenz off me, little do they know....they're Lorenz Nish. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Shh!

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #3,850 of 8,735
Quote:
tongue.gif

The Amperex Holland was a tube I'd figure was quite good. Ask Mrscary, Mrrogers, Lord Soth

usually 1. Siemen's 2. Lorenz. vice versa. My favorite pair of Siemen's were the A-frames,
but they were traded to a fellow Head-Fier.  Nice soundstage, strong details and a little bit warm.

I'd however recommend the Mullard CV2493, I just find them every bit as good as the CCa's I've heard.

I rank them 1. Lorenz PCC88 Lorenz Stuttgart 2-mica/3-mica. 2. Mullard CV2493 3. Siemen's A-frames.

Just got my LCD-2's back from a repair actually. Left driver was having issues and from what I can tell they gave me new ones with the same cable... new freq chart, headband is tighter, grain is darker, etc. The LCD-2 has been my only full sized headphone for a while. I have some 600ohm DT880's that I bought to have while the LCD-2's were in for repair but don't find them all that impressive. My Bifrost should be coming today with a toss link to mini cable for my iMac and new tubes are next. I've had a helluva time finding the "issue" I was having with my Lorenz and am starting to wonder if the LCD-2 driver and a couple bad recordings were the culprit. I noticed a couple tracks that displayed the problem from Elien Jewell's Letters from Sinners & Strangers are doing the same on my SM3's. At any rate, I'm ready for some new tubes to change things up so I'll be checking into your recs, thanks!

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #3,851 of 8,735
Quote:
tongue.gif

I agree totally with Paradoxper,and,
Just a note on the A-frames...which I rank..#3,just under the 3-mica's

After I got these from Paradoxper..this tube has quality about it ,like no other,it has a warm quality,and still gives good detail.
When listening to some classical /opera music,I've listened to for the last 40 years..I'm hearing details ,that never has come out before
I don't know why this is....age,structure of the tube??..what?..my chain??
I even mentioned this to paradoxper,after he sent them to me..he agrees.

Maybe a more learned member,can throw some light on this?
And,if someone is looking at this tube { not inexpensive.},..I strongly suggest you try it--just my .02 cents

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #3,853 of 8,735
Quote:

[size=12pt]  [/size]

Well you need to find out what he means by this "[size=11pt]A better tube would be the 6922 early 1960s vintage Siemens from Germany."     [/size]

[size=11pt]Bottom line is the CCa's are the best in whatever flavour one chooses if he is trying to pass off E88CC siemens for that price he is out of his mind nowt he E88CC/6922 Siemens tubes are really great tubes I have several sets and tried them with all 3 LCD versions and they sound great but only the early years IMHO others may no specific years mine are like 1962 or 3's but they are not worth that cost... Now on the PCC88 /Amperex Phillips hmmmm I am not sure Mr Rogers or Slothy man may know. Be very cautious of anyone saying that anything compares to the Lorenz IMHO man thats a big word and I have yet to find anything that is so similar I would never say compare as in sound wise I find every tube has a signature... push him for more info :wink:[/size]

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #3,854 of 8,735
Quote:
I agree totally with Paradoxper,and,
Just a note on the A-frames...which I rank..#3,just under the 3-mica's

After I got these from Paradoxper..this tube has quality about it ,like no other,it has a warm quality,and still gives good detail.
When listening to some classical /opera music,I've listened to for the last 40 years..I'm hearing details ,that never has come out before
I don't know why this is....age,structure of the tube??..what?..my chain??
I even mentioned this to paradoxper,after he sent them to me..he agrees.

Maybe a more learned member,can throw some light on this?
And,if someone is looking at this tube { not inexpensive.},..I strongly suggest you try it--just my .02 cents

Yeah I sometimes prefer the CCA A-Frames to the Simens & Halske CCa's depending on the headphone I use but as of late my tube choices have changed radically because I have been using the EDition 8's alot for mixing and am too lazy to switch phones all the time... Its always nice to have a Collection as headphones change and your signal chain changes so will ones thoughts on certain tubes not always but sometimes :)
And I highly agree on most of the Mullards I as of late have been running the E88CC Mullards for like a month straight not even turning off the Lyr hahaha yes I have several sets maybe I will change them out tonight :)

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #3,855 of 8,735
Quote:
Well you need to find out what he means by this "[size=11pt]A better tube would be the 6922 early 1960s vintage Siemens from Germany."     [/size]

[size=11pt]Bottom line is the CCa's are the best in whatever flavour one chooses if he is trying to pass off E88CC siemens for that price he is out of his mind nowt he E88CC/6922 Siemens tubes are really great tubes I have several sets and tried them with all 3 LCD versions and they sound great but only the early years IMHO others may no specific years mine are like 1962 or 3's but they are not worth that cost... Now on the PCC88 /Amperex Phillips hmmmm I am not sure Mr Rogers or Slothy man may know. Be very cautious of anyone saying that anything compares to the Lorenz IMHO man thats a big word and I have yet to find anything that is so similar I would never say compare as in sound wise I find every tube has a signature... push him for more info :wink:[/size]

Hi Mr.S...
Good to see your post.

That was my thoughts as well...you have to remeber,that Jesse's tubes have a money back gaurentee..this might have something to do with it..NO?
Many of his tubes are ..NOS,and thoroughly tested before they are shipped...unlike e-bay.

I did a comparison test between the 6922's & my mica-3's,on a variety of music,and ..although the 6922's are an excellent tube...not sure, they run in 2nd place to the lorenz??
This on ..lcd-2s/Lyr combo.....,but,on another headphone/amp combination..it could be totally different.???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back