Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #3,751 of 8,735
Quote:

I've seen the BBE maximizer mentioned but I can never figure out exactly what it is.  Is it basically just a single tone DSP?  Also, don't they only come balanced?

BBE makes many products they have everything from plugins for recording to simple guitar effects with one know the Harmonic maximizer is surely the best of them all they typically have XLR and unbalanced 1/4 inputs that allows you to do just about anything with them
the old ones were just for boosting bass but thats not really all it does.. It's hard to explain the theory behind it is complex the Hamonic maximizer is a countouring device not the same as an EQ per se if thats all it did I would use my EQ... It's a very addictive sound
for example I use it usually for MP3's or just everyday use on the PC for youtube etc its in my chain somwhere now haha... If I listen to lets say a song it in some ways makes it sound as if you are listening live.. But not a simulated live it gives the music a life weird stuff..
I do not use it for the guitar but have if I do use it I will use their plugins when I record things after the mix is done more for mastering but typically I do not. I can tell you this is literally has the ability to make a 100.00 set of tubes sound like 300.00 I do not condone or condemn its
use it is a tool in my arsenal just as is switching out a set of tubes.. You can get a harmonic maximizer for less than 200.00 on Ebay and wake your world up.. Its kinda like having the Red Pill shoved down your throat.... you kinda  are shocked at what you hear same
as when you put some good Lorenz in vs some JJ's :)

being a part time Audio Engineer I really can only say give it a whirl but the only one that is worth a shiiiiiit is the "Harmonic maximizer" as you can contour anything the others were old stuff limiting..

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #3,752 of 8,735
Quote:

This place is a great knowledge base.. thanks for everything guys.

However, here comes the annoying guy again. I have the Lyr for some time, and im looking to tackle a new purchase (headphone).

I am very interested in the HE-500s.

I have been reading about them a lot, and I have a feeling that I might like them. I would really like to know what are your experiences (if there are any, i found only a few post in this thread about them) with them.. especially in the matter of tube rolling.

I have noticed that the Lyr can be rather veil at times, believe it or not, even veil for my K701. (I use the CV2492 Mullard).

I like revealing headphones.. but I also want some musicality. I hope that the HE-500s can deliver that and I hope there is a specific tube that will allow for that.

It's all in the tubes man

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #3,753 of 8,735
Quote:

This place is a great knowledge base.. thanks for everything guys.

However, here comes the annoying guy again. I have the Lyr for some time, and im looking to tackle a new purchase (headphone).

I am very interested in the HE-500s.

I have been reading about them a lot, and I have a feeling that I might like them. I would really like to know what are your experiences (if there are any, i found only a few post in this thread about them) with them.. especially in the matter of tube rolling.

I have noticed that the Lyr can be rather veil at times, believe it or not, even veil for my K701. (I use the CV2492 Mullard).

I like revealing headphones.. but I also want some musicality. I hope that the HE-500s can deliver that and I hope there is a specific tube that will allow for that.

As paradoxer said before you need to get some tubes that balance out the warmish sound if you put Mullards in there you will have a mishmash of warmness of some kind... every piece in your chain that is changed makes the sum of the total I wish that their was an easier way but with audio since we each perceive differently on many aspects do not forget the rest of your chain I myself try to say as neutral as possible but I have multiple Dac's etc so I can change things in a flash and tubes I like to keep it at those two points eveyrthnig else I leave alone... well sometimes hahaha

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #3,754 of 8,735
Quote:
BBE makes many products they have everything from plugins for recording to simple guitar effects with one know the Harmonic maximizer is surely the best of them all they typically have XLR and unbalanced 1/4 inputs that allows you to do just about anything with them
the old ones were just for boosting bass but thats not really all it does.. It's hard to explain the theory behind it is complex the Hamonic maximizer is a countouring device not the same as an EQ per se if thats all it did I would use my EQ... It's a very addictive sound
for example I use it usually for MP3's or just everyday use on the PC for youtube etc its in my chain somwhere now haha... If I listen to lets say a song it in some ways makes it sound as if you are listening live.. But not a simulated live it gives the music a life weird stuff..
I do not use it for the guitar but have if I do use it I will use their plugins when I record things after the mix is done more for mastering but typically I do not. I can tell you this is literally has the ability to make a 100.00 set of tubes sound like 300.00 I do not condone or condemn its
use it is a tool in my arsenal just as is switching out a set of tubes.. You can get a harmonic maximizer for less than 200.00 on Ebay and wake your world up.. Its kinda like having the Red Pill shoved down your throat.... you kinda  are shocked at what you hear same
as when you put some good Lorenz in vs some JJ's :)

being a part time Audio Engineer I really can only say give it a whirl but the only one that is worth a shiiiiiit is the "Harmonic maximizer" as you can contour anything the others were old stuff limiting..

So out of curiosity does the Harmonic maximizer basically put harmonics there that aren't? And how does this work
(PM me if it's a long story) And what is the difference between their Harmonic maximizer and their sonic maximizer?
And finally I can understand the use for professional audio mixing/mastering, but what about just general everyday playback.
I'm just kind of interested in buying one to see what it can do, but want some sort of value out of it.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #3,755 of 8,735
Quote:
That seems to be the "general consensus" around these parts. Have you tried any of the clear tops or black plates? Many rollers seem to liken them to Siemens and Lorenz.

I have do have the RCA clear tops, they sound great but I have yet to top the Siemens to my ears. I have not tried the black plates, please suggest one to me.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #3,756 of 8,735
Quote:
I have do have the RCA clear tops, they sound great but I have yet to top the Siemens to my ears. I have not tried the black plates, please suggest one to me.

Ah, alright then. I would really rather not. I am not one who compared either the black plates nor clear tops to the Siemens or Lorenz. Though I'll say
the black plates got close to the Siemens, but I am just opposite of you. I'm a Lorenz snob and don't think anything touch it.

Last I heard ( few weeks ago now) Brent Jesse had some: http://www.audiotubes.com/

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #3,757 of 8,735
Well since I have now actually posted on this thread ( been lurking for a while), I have a question.   Can anyone tell me anything about this particular Amperex set? I assume they are newer based on the silk screen. Are they fake?

Thanks.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #3,758 of 8,735
Quote:
Well since I have now actually posted on this thread ( been lurking for a while), I have a question.   Can anyone tell me anything about this particular Amperex set? I assume they are newer based on the silk screen. Are they fake?

Thanks.

Not a huge fan of Ameperex, so I'm no expert. But you may need to shows pics of the getters. Unless of course, the tube wizard catches a glimpse first.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #3,759 of 8,735
Quote:
Not a huge fan of Ameperex, so I'm no expert. But you may need to shows pics of the getters. Unless of course, the tube wizard catches a glimpse first.

I feel the same as you. My only other experience is with the Bugle Boys and that was with another application (12ax7 versions).  They had a pleasant sound, but not right for my ears. The  pictured tubes actually sound  quite good but I am getting a scratchy sound from one of them.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #3,760 of 8,735
Quote:
Ah, alright then. I would really rather not. I am not one who compared either the black plates nor clear tops to the Siemens or Lorenz. Though I'll say
the black plates got close to the Siemens, but I am just opposite of you. I'm a Lorenz snob and don't think anything touch it.

Last I heard ( few weeks ago now) Brent Jesse had some: http://www.audiotubes.com/

+1 on what Paradoxper says.
you will find the blackplates here:
http://www.audiotubes.com/audtube.htm

Scroll down the left side,until you find 6CG7..blackplates
He might be out of them ,best to call first

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #3,761 of 8,735
Quote:
I feel the same as you. My only other experience is with the Bugle Boys and that was with another application (12ax7 versions).  They had a pleasant sound, but not right for my ears. The  pictured tubes actually sound  quite good but I am getting a scratchy sound from one of them.

Yea, the Bugle Boys are pretty good. I haven't ever seen your particular screen print. Searching yielded nothing. So I am lost.
Have you heard any of Amperex PQ's for some relavent reference?

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #3,762 of 8,735
Quote:
+1 on what Paradoxper says.
you will find the blackplates here:
http://www.audiotubes.com/audtube.htm

Scroll down the left side,until you find 6CG7..blackplates
He might be out of them ,best to call first

Thank you. I found them from the local source I use for tubes. One quick question if I may, top O getter or horseshoe getter?

Quote:
Yea, the Bugle Boys are pretty good. I haven't ever seen your particular screen print. Searching yielded nothing. So I am lost.
Have you heard any of Amperex PQ's for some relavent reference?

Yes i have a set of the PQ 6922s (USA) and the orange tipped ones from the photo have a less warm sound but better snap on the bass and highs.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #3,763 of 8,735
Quote:

Thank you. I found them from the local source I use for tubes. One quick question if I may, top O getter or horseshoe getter?

Yes i have a set of the PQ 6922s (USA) and the orange tipped ones from the photo have a less warm sound but better snap on the bass and highs.

I have both getters. I'd opt for the O getter.

Well, then that would solve it for me. Even though I've never seen that particular screen print (Which seems odd to me) if you find them to sound good/better
than your PQ's that you can use for reference..then trust your ears and enjoy. 

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #3,764 of 8,735
Quote:
So out of curiosity does the Harmonic maximizer basically put harmonics there that aren't? And how does this work
(PM me if it's a long story) And what is the difference between their Harmonic maximizer and their sonic maximizer?
And finally I can understand the use for professional audio mixing/mastering, but what about just general everyday playback.
I'm just kind of interested in buying one to see what it can do, but want some sort of value out of it.

Yes, it will add even, or odd harmonics where none exist.  You may consider auditioning a harmonic maximizer plug-in before you drop bank on gear.  I find the BBE sonic maximzer more useful (sparingly).

http://www.blitzdownloads.com/search/Harmonic%20Maximizer

*EDIT*
Aphex also manufacture a sonic maximizer they refer to as an aural exciter.
http://www.aphex.com/aphex-products/exciter/

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #3,765 of 8,735
Quote:
Yes, it will add even, or odd harmonics where none exist.  You may consider auditioning a harmonic maximizer plug-in before you drop bank on gear.  I find the BBE sonic maximzer more useful (sparingly).

http://www.blitzdownloads.com/search/Harmonic%20Maximizer

*EDIT*
Aphex also manufacture a sonic maximizer they refer to as an aural exciter.
http://www.aphex.com/aphex-products/exciter/

Can you shed some light to how that's done?

I am on a mac so no Harmonic Maximizer available, but the sonic maximizer was. So I may try that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back