Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #1,111 of 8,735
I don't have the HD800s, but I can tell you that if your headphones tend to be bright you can really tone that down with your choice of tubes. In my case, I enjoy the DT990/600s, but the treble can be a bit bright. If I pop in a pair of warmer tubes or tubes with very slight roll off on the top - you can strike a very pleasing balance.

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #1,112 of 8,735
for those of you using hd800s with your lyr, do you guys still find the pair to be overly bright/treble overemphasized? so far I've been listening to a new lyr with the hd800 for 2 days, and have found the combination to be quite fatiguing, which suggests that the lyr might not be that great a pair with the hd800, which is off-tangent from the glowing reviews the pairing has received on 6moons etc.. 

to be fair to the lyr, just about every amp that I've tried with the hd800 has been too harsh for me - maybe the latter phones just aren't for me, but still hoping that some tube rolling can take the edge off. it would save me some time and money if someone who's tried this combination and has upgraded the tubes still finds them too fatiguing mentions something here! thanks!

Well it could be the tubes in the Lyr the stock JJ's are very harsh you would have to change tubes to get rid of the harshness..
Also, what is your audio chain are you using silver interconnects? what Kind of DAC?

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #1,113 of 8,735
I enjoy my HD800's with the Lyr. The only tube I feel doesn't really suit it are the popular cryo 6N23P that can be a bit too analytical and bright with the 800's
If I had to choose just for the Senns I would go for a pair of vintage (not NOS) Mullard ECC88. They are usually easier and much cheaper to pick up than the E88CC but you may have to try a few to get a pair with low microphonics. Bass may be a little fuller compared with the best of the rest but the mids and treble live up to the term "liquid" and sound stage can be phenomenal.

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #1,114 of 8,735
I enjoy my HD800's with the Lyr. The only tube I feel doesn't really suit it are the popular cryo 6N23P that can be a bit too analytical and bright with the 800's
If I had to choose just for the Senns I would go for a pair of vintage (not NOS) Mullard ECC88. They are usually easier and much cheaper to pick up than the E88CC but you may have to try a few to get a pair with low microphonics. Bass may be a little fuller compared with the best of the rest but the mids and treble live up to the term "liquid" and sound stage can be phenomenal.

I agree +1

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #1,115 of 8,735

Quote:
I am burning in my NOS 1966 Mullard E88CC's right now and am enjoying their control of the highs.

Where did you get those? tubemonger has 1969-1978 :p

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #1,117 of 8,735

[size=medium]
Just a brief update: after letting the RCA's settle in overnight, the static in the left channel was still very intrusive, so I swapped in the GE 6dj8s and let them run while I was at work. Been listening to Revocation's Existence Is Futile album (after reading the recent MetalSucks guitarist rankings), and it sounds pretty darn good!! Clear, lively, and a healthy bottom-end so far. Doesn't seem to necessarily excel at any particular thing, but sounds pretty great overall. We'll see how they stack up with more time and more detailed comparisons with their valve-y brethren. 

On a completely unrelated note, I finally got a chance to listen to some music on my new phone (which I use as my mobile source because I pretty much loathe Apple and everything they stand for), a Samsung Charge, and the SQ was a pretty obvious couple of steps up above my old Droid Incredible. I've heard that Samsung uses nicer DACs than other manufacturers, and I have no idea if that's true or pertinent, but it sure does sound a metric ton better... Also got in both of my pairs of Senn HD25-1 II cans in today (yes, I realize that this is a sickness, it's just that audiophoollery is 837 times too awesome for me to care too much), and I plan on having lots of fantastically embarrassing moments around the house and community where I spontaneously break into a wild wailing mess of kickass air-guitar shredding with my lil' Fiio E11 cranked up to, uh, 11 
evil_smiley.gif

I love this place. 
atsmile.gif

[/size]

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #1,118 of 8,735
i know how this may seem.. (im sure ppl will say just read the thread, but it is 75 pages.)  
what tubes do you think would pair nicely with a HD800 and 600 ohm beyers?

i was looking at Gold Lions and some mullards. http://www.tubemonger.com/Mullard_MPs_Like_New_1969_78_E88CC_CV2492_Mitcham_p/541.htm

would these Amperex be worth the extra money?
http://www.tubemonger.com/PHILIPS_NOS_1960s_Heelen_Holland_SQ_E88CC_6922_p/1121.htm

sorry i know this question gets asked all the time, i just cant sit through 75 pages of posts. 

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #1,119 of 8,735

Quote:
I got those through a friend they are hard to find the E88CC's Mullards 1960's your better off getting the ECC88 IEC's How much does tubemonger want for the E88CC's?

$125 for a matched pair :p

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #1,120 of 8,735
i know how this may seem.. (im sure ppl will say just read the thread, but it is 75 pages.)  

i was looking at Gold Lions and some mullards. http://www.tubemonger.com/Mullard_MPs_Like_New_1969_78_E88CC_CV2492_Mitcham_p/541.htm

http://www.tubemonger.com/PHILIPS_NOS_1960s_Heelen_Holland_SQ_E88CC_6922_p/1121.htm

sorry i know this question gets asked all the time, i just cant sit through 75 pages of posts. 

The Mullard E88CC's are your ticket.. You want to tame those highs of the HD800's .. The Phillips Amperex are going to have extended highs I have a phillips Valvo set and they have a similar sound signature.

Try the Mullard E88CC's first I think they will be great for you if you dont like it give me a ring and I will buy them off you.. for a backup backup pair.. :D Just don't buy the GL's they are not good tubes they have a funny sound signature.

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #1,121 of 8,735
I look forward to someone finding some Amperex that are really Russian made. There are many but they sound very fine. The box will be Amperex, the tube will be fatter and no seams on top. 

MrScary, you are scaring me with that avatar. 

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #1,123 of 8,735

Quote:
Quote:

The Mullard E88CC's are your ticket.. You want to tame those highs of the HD800's .. The Phillips Amperex are going to have extended highs I have a phillips Valvo set and they have a similar sound signature.

Try the Mullard E88CC's first I think they will be great for you if you dont like it give me a ring and I will buy them off you.. for a backup backup pair..
biggrin.gif
Just don't buy the GL's they are not good tubes they have a funny sound signature.

ty, i actually won an auction for some GL too. so i guess ill have both sets to try out! oh this tubesession is not going to be good.  (see what i did there? tube obsession? :p)

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #1,124 of 8,735
I can see why a couple around here love the IEC Mullard ECC88 and want a 2nd pair.  I got a pair from Ebay for around $80.  Now I want a 2nd pair as well.  Love them from top to bottom and they seem to have a bit more punch in the low end as well.  They also appear to be a little more neutral, less warm which is nice change.  Not sure what I have that can de-thrown these.

Quote:
Try the Mullard E88CC's first I think they will be great for you if you dont like it give me a ring and I will buy them off you.. for a backup backup pair..
biggrin.gif
Just don't buy the GL's they are not good tubes they have a funny sound signature.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #1,125 of 8,735
I can see why a couple around here love the IEC Mullard ECC88 and want a 2nd pair.  I got a pair from Ebay for around $80.  Now I want a 2nd pair as well.  Love them from top to bottom and they seem to have a bit more punch in the low end as well.  They also appear to be a little more neutral, less warm which is nice change.  Not sure what I have that can de-thrown these.

Only Mullards that probably trump them are the E88CC's but Im sure they have a similar sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back