Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #7,626 of 8,735
It's subjective, but is there a general consensus on the best Amperex tube? Not including the pinched waist, way too expensive for me. USA White Label, PQ Shield- are these considered supreme (and worth the $)?

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #7,627 of 8,735
Quote:
It's subjective, but is there a general consensus on the best Amperex tube? Not including the pinched waist, way too expensive for me. USA White Label, PQ Shield- are these considered supreme (and worth the $)?

My favorite Amperex tubes:

1. Orange Globes
2. Bugle Boys
3. USN 6922  D Getters
4. USN-CEP 6922

But just because I love them does NOT mean that there's any sort of consensus.

The three tubes at the top of the list have a more "tubey" sound, meaning they're a bit more lush in the midrange, the USN-CEPs are super accurate, they remind me of the RTCs I'm testing now.

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #7,628 of 8,735

1. Orange Globes
2. Bugle Boys
3. USN 6922  D Getters
4. USN-CEP 6922

The three tubes at the top of the list have a more "tubey" sound, meaning they're a bit more lush in the midrange, the USN-CEPs are super accurate, they remind me of the RTCs I'm testing now.
Thanks for the input. Amperex will be the next tubes I buy, and after big disappointment with the Orange Label, I want the next Amperex tubes to be great. The learning curve I guess- and these tubes are too expensive to gamble on. Found that out the hard way. But it is still a gamble, even when supplied with quality info.

p.s. Can I get Orange Globes, not Orange Labels- Oh how big of a difference in the details.

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #7,629 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks for the input. Amperex will be the next tubes I buy, and after big disappointment with the Orange Label, I want the next Amperex tubes to be great. The learning curve I guess- and these tubes are too expensive to gamble on. Found that out the hard way. But it is still a gamble, even when supplied with quality info.

p.s. Can I get Orange Globes, not Orange Labels- Oh how big of a difference in the details.

Yes, you can get Orange Globes.  I've never heard the Orange Labels, so I can't comment on the difference.

Can you be more specific on the orange labels that disappointed you?  What was the problem?  Where did you buy them?

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #7,630 of 8,735
Yes, you can get Orange Globes.  I've never heard the Orange Labels, so I can't comment on the difference.

Can you be more specific on the orange labels that disappointed you?  What was the problem?  Where did you buy them?
I bought them at Tube Depot, and they weren't described as Orange Label, White Label to be sure. Live and learn, so from now on it's only more reputable dealers like Brent Jessee or Upscale Audio. The tubes themselves are warm, but muddy sounding. Lacking clarity and instrumental separation. Not a tube I would recommend at all. Maybe I got a weak pair, it happens.

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #7,631 of 8,735
Quote:
I bought them at Tube Depot, and they weren't described as Orange Label, White Label to be sure. Live and learn, so from now on it's only more reputable dealers like Brent Jessee or Upscale Audio. The tubes themselves are warm, but muddy sounding. Lacking clarity and instrumental separation. Not a tube I would recommend at all. Maybe I got a weak pair, it happens.

Well that sucks.  I hope they didn't set you back too much.

None of the tubes in the list I posted should sound muddy at all, provided you get samples that are in decent shape.

If you stick with the vendors you mentioned, you should be OK.  Also, Mercedesman on eBay is a good guy to deal with.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #7,632 of 8,735
Quote:

1. Orange Globes
2. Bugle Boys
3. USN 6922  D Getters
4. USN-CEP 6922

Great list! You pretty much covered my favs too.
smile.gif

My top three Amperex for HE500:

1. Bugle Boys (D-getter)
2. USN-CEP 6922 (halo, made in 'Merica)
3. Orange Globes (late '60s halo getter)

As always, YMMV
beerchug.gif

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #7,634 of 8,735
Jun 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #7,635 of 8,735
OK, here's one from the "Live and Learn" file.

Recently, I noticed a very faint crackling noise in the left channel while listening to my beloved '59 Bugle Boys. Crap, I must have a tube going microphonic! The crackling was intermittent, barely noticable and almost...well, rythmic at times. Weird, huhh? I switched tubes, front to back, but the noise was still in the left channel. Double crap! Hmmm.

Tried a different tube pair, same result. Decided I had a bad socket saver. Swapped savers, then removed savers...same noise in left channel. Guys, I have been chasing this faint little crackling noise for THREE days! I have checked cable connections, swapped cables out, nothing solved it.

Finally, earlier tonight I sat back and thought about when this noise first appeared. Well, it was three days ago, just about the time I got my....new Samsung Note2 phone.
blink.gif

I moved phone and charger across the room and the noise is now gone. 
biggrin.gif

I can't explain it, either.

beerchug.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back