Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #7,606 of 8,735
Quote:
HK, I think I read somewhere that the Statement hybrid will not use the same tube family.

My large 6DJ8 tube investment is one of the reasons I acquired the Liquid Glass. Uses these same Novals or Octals in the 6SN7 family.

By the time I could actually afford the statement stuff, I'm sure I will have worn out a set or two of tubes in the Lyr...
wink_face.gif

I'll enjoy it as long as I have it.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #7,608 of 8,735
HK, I think I read somewhere that the Statement hybrid will not use the same tube family.

My large 6DJ8 tube investment is one of the reasons I acquired the Liquid Glass. Uses these same Novals or Octals in the 6SN7 family.

I spoke to Jason briefly about this at the last show. He said the statement hybrid will not be using same tube as lyr.

ckc

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #7,609 of 8,735
Quote:
I spoke to Jason briefly about this at the last show. He said the statement hybrid will not be using same tube as lyr.

ckc

Well, it seems that this amp is developing as we watch.  I get the impression that nothing is cast in bronze.  I hope they change their mind.  

If not, I'd have to really think hard about what to do.  I'm really happy with the sound of the Lyr, and I have a substantial investment in tubes.

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #7,610 of 8,735
Quote:

Well, it seems that this amp is developing as we watch.  I get the impression that nothing is cast in bronze.  I hope they change their mind.  

If not, I'd have to really think hard about what to do.  I'm really happy with the sound of the Lyr, and I have a substantial investment in tubes.

Keep the Lyr. It won't suddenly stop working when the new stuff comes out or anything. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #7,613 of 8,735
I may have to change my mind.  In the process of preparing these RTC tubes for sale, I figured I better at least play test the 2nd pair.  I started burning them in, and gave a quick test listen... I may have been too hasty.  More to follow...

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #7,615 of 8,735
I may have to change my mind.  In the process of preparing these RTC tubes for sale, I figured I better at least play test the 2nd pair.  I started burning them in, and gave a quick test listen... I may have been too hasty.  More to follow...

Really? Well, I'll be.
I do seem to recall a post from you about "burn in". No. Wait. It was 6 posts!

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #7,616 of 8,735
Quote:
Really? Well, I'll be.
I do seem to recall a post from you about "burn in". No. Wait. It was 6 posts!

Well, I did burn in the other pair, I gave them a good 50 hours.

I can't complain about the sound from these tubes, they sound amazing!

I just missed the heft and slam in the bass I got with the OGs.  The OGs definitely beat the RTCs in that department.

And the tubey goodness in the mids wasn't quite there in the RTCs either.

But, maybe this second pair is slightly different, maybe I'm in a different mood when I just gave them a test listen, who knows?  I'm going to give them a thorough trial, and do some A/B testing between these and the OGs.

Jun 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #7,618 of 8,735
I suppose we should all avoid shorthand, it can get confusing for those joining the conversation late..

OG = Orange Globes, a model of tube made by Philips in Holland, sold under the Amperex brand.

You may also see references made to BBs, those would be Bugle Boys. Another Philips tube made in Holland and sold under the Amperex brand.

The RTCs we're discusing were also made by Philips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back