Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #5,176 of 8,735
Quote:
HK you know down deep inside I love ya, but please explain one thing to me. Where does this magical 100 hours come from for a tube breaking in? The reason I ask is I have seen no return whatsoever over 8 hours at top. I mean I deal with huge EL34 tubes 6L6s and I just do not hear it at all.. I agree to be fair
that I have had tubes I have though were crude and after tops 12 hours they came alive but after that I think this is just some mass induced hysteria. I mean think of this I am a semi Pro musician I am on now 34 years of Playing guitar I do session work now I am on many recordings I have never ever
broken in Guitar amp tubes --Ever. Now if you think of that you realize that nobody does and I mean nobody we put them in then we have to Bias the tubes (On most amps) which is dangerous as Schitt and then we put her on standby for 60 seconds and flip the standby switch.... I have never heard a difference at all
and Guitar amps mostly commonly use a Combo of Preamp tubes AX7 or Au7's and El34 and 6L6's.. And on the listening side again I will stress since for your safety these litle Lyr's are self biasing thank god or we would probably have a memorial of those that fried themselves on here ohh well anyway..

Please explain this magic number of 100 hours
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree that after 20 hours in many cases you are just fooling yourself there is more gain. But 100hrs I think is the magic point we stop deluding ourselves and say ok. STOP. Just freaking listen and enjoy.

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #5,177 of 8,735
Quote:

I agree that after 20 hours in many cases you are just fooling yourself there is more gain. But 100hrs I think is the magic point we stop deluding ourselves and say ok. STOP. Just freaking listen and enjoy.

But what do I know really? NightFlight doens't even have a Lyr or a tube, or headphones to his name. 
frown.gif

It's all on backorder.. booohoooohoo

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #5,178 of 8,735
Quote:
HK you know down deep inside I love ya, but please explain one thing to me. Where does this magical 100 hours come from for a tube breaking in? The reason I ask is I have seen no return whatsoever over 8 hours at top. I mean I deal with huge EL34 tubes 6L6s and I just do not hear it at all.. I agree to be fair
that I have had tubes I have though were crude and after tops 12 hours they came alive but after that I think this is just some mass induced hysteria. I mean think of this I am a semi Pro musician I am on now 34 years of Playing guitar I do session work now I am on many recordings I have never ever
broken in Guitar amp tubes --Ever. Now if you think of that you realize that nobody does and I mean nobody we put them in then we have to Bias the tubes (On most amps) which is dangerous as Schitt and then we put her on standby for 60 seconds and flip the standby switch.... I have never heard a difference at all
and Guitar amps mostly commonly use a Combo of Preamp tubes AX7 or Au7's and El34 and 6L6's.. And on the listening side again I will stress since for your safety these litle Lyr's are self biasing thank god or we would probably have a memorial of those that fried themselves on here ohh well anyway..

Please explain this magic number of 100 hours
smily_headphones1.gif

Honestly, I have no idea.  I never really thought there was a specific amount of time for a tube to settle.  But it does make sense that after 100 hours, all the components in the system should be totally settled (with the exception of some headphones from Beyer and AKG) to allow some objective listening.  At least I can try to use the philosophy to justify borrowing Lord Soth's tubes...and the keys to his mansion...and his credit cards (for dampers...yeah, that's it...dampers)...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #5,179 of 8,735
Quote:
My recommedation is the cyro set they are new number one you never know what you are getting from ebay I have already been burned this last week on there.. The major difference is sound stage the cyro's have a much larger sound stage to them but I don't even have 100 hours on the cyro's yet
so my final feeling on them is not complete... IMHO if you can find a good matched set on ebay for 30.00 go for it if you dont want to wait forever to get them from Russia just spend the 50.00 and get the cryo set.. All in all the soundstage is what sets them apart they are not that different in tonality

Hey look! There's that magic 100 hours again....

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #5,180 of 8,735
My latest acquisition. Matched pair of 1966 Bugle Boys. These really sound phenomenal and beat out both my A frame and O getter orange label Amperex pairs. More space, deeper soundstage, and just a tad more aggressive with a nice, zesty punchiness...

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #5,181 of 8,735
Wow a tube review
That's a novelty for this thread.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #5,183 of 8,735
My tube tester build has started.
All new components are on the way.

606 Project Scope

Replicate circuitry of 606 using new components.  Resistors, Capacitors, Pots, switches, lamps.
Provide all original testing functionality: Shorts, Quality, Grid Emission. 
Eliminate all valve sockets except 9 pin.
Instal 3 discrete 9 pin sockets to accommodate  ECC88, 6BN8 and 12AX7 valves.
Provide circuitry to accommodate the 9 pin valve types from a singleTypical  transformer secondary.

Philips ECC88
Heater: 6.3V 365 mA
Typical Plate: 90V  15 mA  (per document.  I suspect 1.5 mA)

Sylvania 6BN8
Heater 6.3V 600 mA
Typical Plate: 100V 1.5 mA

GE 12AX7
Heater: 6.3V  300 mA (In Paralel)
Typical Plate:  250V 1.2 mA

Transformers.
Plate Transformer:  Hammond mfg.  Model 166F120  Secondary  120VAC C.T.  0.3 A
Heater Transformer:  Hammond mfg. Model 166G6  Secondary  6.3VAC C.T.  0.6 A

Challenge:  Engineering 250V plate voltage from a 120VAC trans.  If I can't do this I will abandon the 12AX7.
Challenge: Calibrating the Dixson model 430 meter.  Process, known good tubes and B&K 25 M Ohm calibration procedure.

Fabricate new enclosure and panel.  Provide testing taps for multimeter and oscilloscope.

BEFORE

AFTER

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #5,184 of 8,735
News Flash: 
You'll never need to buy another Tube Amp from Schiit or anybody else.
Just follow the instruction in this video.
Some of the material is a bit technical so keep a notepad handy:

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #5,186 of 8,735
Quote:
My tube tester build has started.
All new components are on the way.

606 Project Scope

Replicate circuitry of 606 using new components.  Resistors, Capacitors, Pots, switches, lamps.
Provide all original testing functionality: Shorts, Quality, Grid Emission. 
Eliminate all valve sockets except 9 pin.
Instal 3 discrete 9 pin sockets to accommodate  ECC88, 6BN8 and 12AX7 valves.
Provide circuitry to accommodate the 9 pin valve types from a singleTypical  transformer secondary.

Philips ECC88
Heater: 6.3V 365 mA
Typical Plate: 90V  15 mA  (per document.  I suspect 1.5 mA)

Sylvania 6BN8
Heater 6.3V 600 mA
Typical Plate: 100V 1.5 mA

GE 12AX7
Heater: 6.3V  300 mA (In Paralel)
Typical Plate:  250V 1.2 mA

Transformers.
Plate Transformer:  Hammond mfg.  Model 166F120  Secondary  120VAC C.T.  0.3 A
Heater Transformer:  Hammond mfg. Model 166G6  Secondary  6.3VAC C.T.  0.6 A

Challenge:  Engineering 250V plate voltage from a 120VAC trans.  If I can't do this I will abandon the 12AX7.
Challenge: Calibrating the Dixson model 430 meter.  Process, known good tubes and B&K 25 M Ohm calibration procedure.

Fabricate new enclosure and panel.  Provide testing taps for multimeter and oscilloscope.

BEFORE

AFTER

Don't forget, you must at least mention tube, or Lyr, or Schiit every five posts or so to ensure we are technically staying on topic...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #5,187 of 8,735
Quote:
While we do occasionally trip the distraction fantastic, a cursory look at the first 335 or so pages will result in the discovery of a review or two...even from the very people enjoying the current diversion. 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

If ya look at my posts... I'm not exactly on topic....
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #5,189 of 8,735
Quote:
Don't forget, you must at least mention tube, or Lyr, or Schiit every five posts or so to ensure we are technically staying on topic...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

I hate it when that happens.....
I'll be in the corner for a TO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back