Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #5,191 of 8,735
Quote:
If ya look at my posts... I'm not exactly on topic....
biggrin.gif

Hey, we've evolved and are exploring new...possibilities!
biggrin.gif

Schiit, Lyr, Tube!  There!  I'm caught up on my quota...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #5,192 of 8,735
And...all seriousness aside...(or not)...I have purchased three sets of Lorenz SEL PCC88 tubes from this vendor on e-bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390528285455?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The mail is a little slow from Vilnius [size=small]Lithuania, [/size]but the tubes are great!  Frau-Olia (Olga) has more up for sale.  They come without boxes but are well wrapped in bubble-wrap and in a sturdy box.  I've had no problems with the shipping other than the first set was delayed (probably due to the holidays).  ...And they look brand new.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - My power comes from caffeine and a sardonic sense of humor...
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #5,193 of 8,735
Quote:
And...all seriousness aside...(or not)...I have purchased three sets of Lorenz SEL PCC88 tubes from this vendor on e-bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390528285455?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The mail is a little slow from Vilnius [size=small]Lithuania, [/size]but the tubes are great!  Frau-Olia (Olga) has more up for sale.  They come without boxes but are well wrapped in bubble-wrap and in a sturdy box.  I've had no problems with the shipping other than the first set was delayed (probably due to the holidays).  ...And they look brand new.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

biggrin.gif

I ordered these on Jan 20.  Still waiting .....

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #5,194 of 8,735
Quote:
My tube tester build has started.
All new components are on the way.

606 Project Scope

Replicate circuitry of 606 using new components.  Resistors, Capacitors, Pots, switches, lamps.
Provide all original testing functionality: Shorts, Quality, Grid Emission. 
Eliminate all valve sockets except 9 pin.
Instal 3 discrete 9 pin sockets to accommodate  ECC88, 6BN8 and 12AX7 valves.
Provide circuitry to accommodate the 9 pin valve types from a singleTypical  transformer secondary.

Philips ECC88
Heater: 6.3V 365 mA
Typical Plate: 90V  15 mA  (per document.  I suspect 1.5 mA)

Sylvania 6BN8
Heater 6.3V 600 mA
Typical Plate: 100V 1.5 mA

GE 12AX7
Heater: 6.3V  300 mA (In Paralel)
Typical Plate:  250V 1.2 mA

Transformers.
Plate Transformer:  Hammond mfg.  Model 166F120  Secondary  120VAC C.T.  0.3 A
Heater Transformer:  Hammond mfg. Model 166G6  Secondary  6.3VAC C.T.  0.6 A

Challenge:  Engineering 250V plate voltage from a 120VAC trans.  If I can't do this I will abandon the 12AX7.
Challenge: Calibrating the Dixson model 430 meter.  Process, known good tubes and B&K 25 M Ohm calibration procedure.

Fabricate new enclosure and panel.  Provide testing taps for multimeter and oscilloscope.

BEFORE

AFTER

AHA.... my electrical engineering degree has finally paid off ...... My keen electrical sense has alerted me .... your BEFORE and AFTER pictures must be reversed!!!!

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #5,197 of 8,735
Quote:

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

biggrin.gif

I also bought 2pairs of these from him that he shipped jan 22 and I am in California and have NOT received them yet!!!

Wondering...............

Jack

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #5,198 of 8,735
The mail is a little slow from Vilnius [size=small]Lithuania[/size]---This is where Sean Connery was born (CAPTAIN RAMEOUS) in the movie Hunt For Red October--Maybe I should contact him and see if he could pick them up for me!!!

Jack

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #5,199 of 8,735
Quote:
The mail is a little slow from Vilnius [size=small]Lithuania[/size]---This is where Sean Connery was born (CAPTAIN RAMEOUS) in the movie Hunt For Red October--Maybe I should contact him and see if he could pick them up for me!!!

Jack

So, would that be a "sub-surface" postal rate?
tongue.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #5,200 of 8,735
Quote:
So, would that be a "sub-surface" postal rate?
tongue.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Don't know if it would be cheaper--But it sure would be quicker!!!!

Put it in a Torpedo and aim it for the nearest US POST OFFICE.....

Jack

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #5,201 of 8,735
Honestly, I have no idea.  I never really thought there was a specific amount of time for a tube to settle.  But it does make sense that after 100 hours, all the components in the system should be totally settled (with the exception of some headphones from Beyer and AKG) to allow some objective listening.  At least I can try to use the philosophy to justify borrowing Lord Soth's tubes...and the keys to his mansion...and his credit cards (for dampers...yeah, that's it...dampers)...:veryevil:

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Haha I was messing with ya man being a analog component much like some capacitors that I have seen a change in over time pretty much proven.. I would agree some amount of time on the Audiophile front is prudent.. Now for Preamp tubes same situation we have with the Lyr different tubes really make a difference in some Guitar amp designs I have one amp that is very complex it allows you to switch from A to A/B to Pentatode etc etc it does it on the fly mechanically not electronically now it works great when it works haha but its in the shop more than out.. :)

Yeah I think I will 69 hours that sounds like a good one.. :)

§

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #5,202 of 8,735
Quote:
Haha I was messing with ya man being a analog component much like some capacitors that I have seen a change in over time pretty much proven.. I would agree some amount of time on the Audiophile front is prudent.. Now for Preamp tubes same situation we have with the Lyr different tubes really make a difference in some Guitar amp designs I have one amp that is very complex it allows you to switch from A to A/B to Pentatode etc etc it does it on the fly mechanically not electronically now it works great when it works haha but its in the shop more than out..
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah I think I will 69 hours that sounds like a good one..
smily_headphones1.gif

§

Yeah, I like that number...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #5,203 of 8,735
hey guys, i know this is going to be a little off-topic, but im struggling to pull out my tube amps. Is there a way where i can achieve this without being too scared of breaking pins or damaging the units themselves?

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #5,204 of 8,735
Quote:
hey guys, i know this is going to be a little off-topic, but im struggling to pull out my tube amps. Is there a way where i can achieve this without being too scare of breaking pins or damaging the units themselves?

Use rubber gloves (I dont like the oil from skin on the glass of the tubes, just like on light bulbs I believe it will shorten the lifespan, it also helps with grip) and move the tube side to side back and forward whilst all the time gently pulling upwards. Not too much on the moving side to side etc...

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #5,205 of 8,735
Quote:
hey guys, i know this is going to be a little off-topic, but im struggling to pull out my tube amps. Is there a way where i can achieve this without being too scare of breaking pins or damaging the units themselves?

http://www.amazon.com/Electro-Harmonix-EH-Tube-Glove/dp/B000UMCLIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360242168&sr=8-1&keywords=tube+glove

Get a tube glove. They work fantastic, the smaller end fits a 6DJ8 sized tube perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back